Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 10:54 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,149,010 times

Advertisements

At least two bears have been spotted in Montclair in the last few days. The first one was tranquilized and relocated, but we don't know where the second bear is. He was seen in the Highland Avenue area and also walking down Bradford Avenue, and he may have been the same bear spotted in Mills Reservation on the Montclair/Cedar Grove border:

Second Bear Spotted In As Many Days In Montclair, N.J. « CBS New York

Breaking: Black Bear Seen Today on Upper Mountain, Yesterday At Mills Reservation - Baristanet*|*Baristanet

Black Bear Cub Up A Tree Captivates Onlookers In Montclair, N.J. « CBS New York

New Jersey Children Forced to Shun Sad, Friendless Bear
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 03:28 AM

513 posts, read 1,166,937 times
If they tell the bear about the taxes in Montclair, it will go away.

Old 06-06-2013, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryanne10 View Post
If they tell the bear about the taxes in Montclair, it will go away.
haha! No, they are not buying, only renting . . . rent-free.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:39 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,397,033 times
take some pictures and enjoy. they're more afraid of us, just don't bother them and pull your garbage in.

Old 06-06-2013, 12:11 PM

23,536 posts, read 17,211,948 times
"They are more afraid of us"...perfect advice for setting up an attack.

If that is true then the bear is stressed and being in strange territory with no known safe place to retreat will stress it even further. Same as a person would be stressed. No road rage in this state.

The stories I hear about people in bear country, from the people around bears in bear counrty, are sure to end in disaster.

Hey that german shepherd roaming your neighborhood is more afriad of you than you are of him....yep.

Bears must be respected, platitudes about their behavior create a false sense of security.

Love to have them around but stay far far away.

Old 06-06-2013, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
"They are more afraid of us"...perfect advice for setting up an attack.

If that is true then the bear is stressed and being in strange territory with no known safe place to retreat will stress it even further. Same as a person would be stressed. No road rage in this state.

The stories I hear about people in bear country, from the people around bears in bear counrty, are sure to end in disaster.

Hey that german shepherd roaming your neighborhood is more afriad of you than you are of him....yep.

Bears must be respected, platitudes about their behavior create a false sense of security.

Love to have them around but stay far far away.
I wouldn't go anywhere near a bear, not even to take pictures.

Old 06-07-2013, 10:43 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,624,920 times
I've read a lot about black bear and bears in general after some experiences with them and the fear that they were a danger while spending time outdoors. I feel that my opinion is somewhere between KRacer's and Bradykp's.

Black bear, behaviorally, are different than grizzly or brown bears in that they mostly evolved in ecosystems where they were not top predators (saber toothed cats and short-faced bears were). Their aptitude for climbing trees, for example, reflects a need to escape predators on the ground.

Anyone would agree that bears have the potential for causing very serious harm, but experts argue that black and brown bears typically attack for different reasons. Brown/grizzly bear attacks are typically defensive attacks where the bears are protecting cubs or a food cache. This is why the old wisdom is to 'play dead', because in the event that a bear finds you as a threat, they will attack you until the threat is neutralized. This is not to say that brown bears do not become maneaters from time to time, but it is extremely rare. Timothy Treadwell is a good example of someone who found that out the hard way, although many bear enthusiasts argue that the fact that he lived among them for 13 summers before being eaten is a testament to their tolerance of humans. Another famous example is the brown bear of Sankebetsu, which is a fascinating, albeit terrifying story.

What they have also found is that most fatal black bear attacks are actually predatory attempts by young male bears. Most of these happen in the backcountry, where bears have very little contact with humans and may or may not see humans as a potential source of food. This is the reason why people who study bear 'psychology' (I know, I know) state that in the case of black bear attacks, your best bet is to fight back.

Recognizing the signs of a potential predatory attack is essential in measuring how to respond, according to what I've read. Foremost, if a bear sees you, you should back away slowly to create space between you and the bear. The bear may be curious and stand, sniff the air, etc, or may take a few steps closer, but won't approach. If the bear approaches you, you should raise hands above head, make noise, etc, and if the bear attacks, you should fight back with everything that you have, because the attack is offensive, not defensive.

My take on this: it's a bit of a gamble but the odds are very strongly in your favor that an experience with a NJ black bear won't be a bad one. It's been said that NJ bears are among the largest and most well-fed bears in N America. Between the garbage that they have constant access to in the state, and the very productive deciduous and coniferous woodlands that we have here, the bears are well fed. Bears are omnivorous and they prioritize by eating what is most nutritious and gives the most calories for their turpor (a form of hibernation) with the least amount of energy expenditure. That being said, if they think that something is going to harm them if they try to eat it, they will not try, unless no other food source is available. This explains why you should create a threat display, to make the bear fear that you are capable of harming it, should it try to take a bite. In the backcountry of British Columbia and other vast wilderness areas, food might be scarce and competition with other bears and other top predators might be greater, so the harsher circumstance may make the bear more likely to attack.

I think the statistic still stands that NJ has the highest population density of black bear in North America, although it is being stabilized and maintained by hunting. It's still a good indicator that bear and human can live within very close proximity to one another, as evidenced by lack of any fatal or serious attacks by bear.

I agree with KRacer's point that people should be wary, but I still believe that someone's chances are greater of being killed by another human or in a car accident. Annually, bees kill significantly more people than bears, and your chances of being killed by a domestic dog are also far greater. Factor in lightning, hypothermia and the occasional rattlesnake or copperhead, and the chances of being eaten by a bear look slimmer yet. Best to use common sense, leave your bacon hat at home, don't try to take pictures of your kids feeding wild bears (happens a lot), and use a zoom lens instead of the macro setting. Just my $0.02

Last edited by NJmmadude; 06-07-2013 at 12:07 PM..

Old 04-03-2014, 08:32 PM

239 posts, read 413,736 times
Three bears just knocked over my garbage can.

I took out my big flashlight and shooed them away; this evening one ran up a tree, the other two scattered into the woods.

Yes, there are black bears in Warren County.

Old 04-04-2014, 04:43 AM

414 posts, read 930,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagafrika View Post
Three bears just knocked over my garbage can.

I took out my big flashlight and shooed them away; this evening one ran up a tree, the other two scattered into the woods.

Yes, there are black bears in Warren County.

Hey Sagafrika,

Although I don't a problem with bears here in South Jersey, there are other assorted wildlife and I have a large wooded area behind my home with deer, occasional wild turkeys, etc.

I'm looking into getting a trash can corral which might work well for you as well. They come in different sizes, but here's one type I'm considering (You might need something a bit more heavy duty though due to your bear situation):

Old 04-04-2014, 06:17 AM

23,536 posts, read 17,211,948 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey