Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 08:03 PM

506 posts, read 2,271,673 times

Advertisements

We are thinking of buying a Summer home in S Mantoloking, just wondering what your thoughts are...Buying a 1400 sq. ft house on 6250sq. ft lot 3 bd 2 bath across the street from beach in Private community and beach... Price 725K taxes 12,000 what do you think of area should i look else where any input to the area or surrounding area would be appreciated...Cheers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 09:00 PM

5,815 posts, read 12,568,888 times
You are aware that just about all the homes in town were severely damaged from Sandy? Some were floating in the bay up until a month ago, Many are knocked off there foundations. Mold damage in many homes and last I heard there was only 40 people living in town.

Old 06-06-2013, 09:07 PM

87,925 posts, read 83,734,558 times
I was going to post something similar. I wasn't sure if the OP was making some kind of sick joke at first, but after I read it a couple of times it did sound like a serious inquiry.

Mantoloking was the last town to allow its residents back in, not until February. It is one of the worst-devastated towns at the Jersey shore from Sandy. I don't know how the municipal utilities are or what the extent of the damage was to them or if there are any problems. Some of the houses burned from gas fires. You might want to look into it a little more closely.

Old 06-06-2013, 09:12 PM

1,041 posts, read 3,000,056 times
trolling for sure

Old 06-07-2013, 12:15 AM

2,535 posts, read 6,636,340 times
If you are an investor Mantoloking is where you should be mantalooking! Yes it was devastated by Sandy but there are incredible values to be had in an area that a year or 2 from now will have very few remaining signs of the catastrophe and those with the cash to buy have the potential to recognize big gains in value.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:43 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,552,008 times
South Mantoloking is part of Brick Township not the Borough of Mantoloking

Old 06-07-2013, 12:41 PM

453 posts, read 1,735,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolfer View Post
South Mantoloking is part of Brick Township not the Borough of Mantoloking
Correct. It is just a neighborhood name. Prices there were not quite the same as Mantoloking, which some exceptions. That being said, any purchase there right now needs to be thoroughly researched from a whole lot of perspectives, and considered somewhat speculative. Parts of that particular section of the barrier island were particularly hard hit and recovery will be very slow. Many will sell because they cannot afford to demolish and rebuild or to raise their houses up, or out of fear.

Quite frankly, any buyers now have to be armed with an enormous amount of local information including detailed knowledge of what FEMA and the Township will require going forward. Getting the necessary property and flood insurance will be very costly for a second home with limited coverage and very high deductibles. What Flood Hazard area is it in?

I'd look at a a WHOLE lot of houses before making any offers at this time.

Rhys

Old 06-27-2013, 05:07 PM

Default Sorry for delay.

Sorry for late reply. Yes this is South Mantoloking. Not Mantoloking itself that being said house directly across the street from house I am looking at is worth 4.5 million. So even though this is not mantoloking but brick really just means I pay higher property taxes. Mantoloking taxes are very cheap. And of course I know what the rest of the island and towns look like. ( a huge applause for Lavalette they have done a remarkable job getting everything looking better than ever. No comparison w other nearby towns ). I am really just looking for your prospective of south mantoloking before Sandy I quess and if you would invest in this area. Private road , private beach, w lifeguards , etc
Thanks again and sorry for not responding quicker. I have contracts in hand getting ready to pull trigger ...,,

Old 06-27-2013, 05:47 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,094,477 times
I'll chime in, as I actually have some first-hand knowledge of the area.

As you'll notice, most of it is still standing. If the house wasn't destroyed IN Sandy/seriously damaged, I wouldn't be too concerned beyond the normal concerns with any beachfront/barrier island property. IIRC the new FEMA maps also DON'T put most of the area in the worst flood zone either.

As you're in Brick Twp, that should limit potential tax issues in the future from reconstruction and such.

PM me if you want a bit more information.

Old 06-27-2013, 06:34 PM

Thanks for input. I also just pm you. Cheers. All other input appreciated. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: