Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 09:13 AM

103 posts, read 394,955 times

Advertisements

My husband wants Oakland I'm leaning more towards GR. We have 3 small kids and not a huge budget. In oakland we are more in the middle as in GR our budget is more with the lower priced houses. I hear great things about the town if GR and like that it is smaller and has a walkable down town. I know we would have more options in Oakland because there are more homes in our price range. With that being said my biggest concern is feeling like the poor people in town in GR. any thoughts?! I am really torn. I have the feeling GR is more keeping up with the jones than Oakland would be. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 12:30 PM

1,558 posts, read 2,148,490 times
You're in a tough spot because from my perspective, the reputation of those 2 towns are somewhat far apart. Not to say that Oakland isn't a good town but I've noticed a lot of areas in Oakland where the homeowners could careless about their properties (to put it nicely).

I never really saw Glen Rock's appeal either in the past 25 some odd years I've lived in this area but truth be told, homes in GR have a greater likelihood of retaining their property values, have excellent schools and is attractive to those commuting via train to NYC. Oakland feeds into Ramapo High School so they do have that going for them. You should keep in mind that both towns have above average property taxes (what town doesn't... I live in Wyckoff which has comparatively lower property taxes at a given price point than those 2 towns).

I totally get your concern regarding the "keeping up with the Jones's" but it's not like you're thinking about buying a $400k - $500k house in Franklin Lakes where homes average in the $1M+. GR's average home price is in the mid $500k range. I don't know what your budget is but there are plenty of modest homes and down to earth folks in GR where I think you'd be able to make it work and fit nicely into the community. If you're going to pay high taxes in either of these 2 towns, you mind as well get most out of your $ and pick the one with better schools especially with 3 kids.

One last thing, if you do decide on Oakland, stay far away from the flood prone areas.

Last edited by Ivan Putski; 06-10-2013 at 12:49 PM..

Old 06-10-2013, 12:38 PM

15 posts, read 39,992 times
How about Fair Lawn? School system is quite good and you can probably stretch your home budget a bit further. Property taxes I think are also slightly lower than Glen Rock.

Old 06-10-2013, 05:01 PM

I love Wyckoff! But there is nothing there right now. Also I feel there is a lot of $$$ in that town, no?

Old 06-10-2013, 05:40 PM

1,558 posts, read 2,148,490 times
You're right, there is a lot of $ in this town and the majority are upper middle class/affluent families. Maybe it's because we don't have kids yet but I definitely don't feel the "keeping up with the Jones's" factor (yet). We were in a 5 way bidding war with our house back in 8/2012 and this was before everything took off... We we're looking in the low $600k range and got lucky with our house which has a fairly decent amount of property (about 3/4 acres).

We only considered Allendale and Wyckoff when we were searching for our house. As I mentioned in my previous post, Glen Rock was never a consideration for me. I can't put my finger on it but I've never been a fan of that town. I'm sure it's a great town and has its own merits (and excellent ones at that) but when you grow up in the area, you just can't shed certain views of town "X" and town "Y" and that's what I have with GR. As for Allendale, there was nothing in our price range at the time but we really preferred Wyckoff to begin with so that was a non-issue.

It's been almost a year here and we absolutely love it. Good luck with your search.

Old 06-10-2013, 06:14 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,073,485 times
Split the difference and check out Waldwick. Right in the middle geographically & price-wise. I always considered Oakland to be in the boonies.

Old 06-11-2013, 05:24 PM

We did look into Waldwick. We did like. Also considering Hillsdale. Seems like good schools and lots of houses in our price range?

Old 06-11-2013, 07:04 PM

550 posts, read 965,367 times
Both Waldwick and Hillsdale are good towns.

Oakland vs. Glenrock: I'd take GR.

Old 06-12-2013, 03:42 AM

Why GR over Oakland?

Old 06-12-2013, 07:01 AM

10 posts, read 36,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri0528 View Post
Why GR over Oakland?
Glen Rock is more upscale and affluent. It has better commuting options to NYC. It has a small village center whereas Oakland is more "strip mall".

Glen Rock is middle to upper middle class.
Oakland is working class to middle class.

There's nothing wrong with Oakland. But its not Glen Rock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey