Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 10:06 AM

7 posts, read 10,990 times

Advertisements

Hi y'all,
Spouse and I are moving from Texas (Austin area) to central NJ. I work from home. Spouse has job in New Brunswick - hates driving and would prefer as short commute as possible (or train ride). We don't want to live in the city, or in a condo / apt. Definitely want a house, large yard, etc. Quality of schools somewhat irrelevant, as no kids.

Thus, we need to stay as close to NB as possible, and still get a nice house. Budget about 350.

Real estate agent has been showing us few places in Franklin, near DeMott, Amwell, Middlebush, Millstone, etc. Area seems nice enough. But have only been to NJ three times now, and don't know much about the area. Would appreciate any tips or inside info from locals. Specifically concerned about:

1. Crime in NB. Know that there is crime and gang activity. Are we going to be far enough away from the crime in these parts of Franklin?

2. What is the general feel of this area? I mean, things seem okay enough on a visit, but what is the trajectory? Are house prices / values going up? Is crime going up or down? Quality of school going up or down? Somewhat reluctant to trust RE agent, who makes everything sound like bed of roses. Of course, he wants to sell and get his commission.

3. Things to do in this area? We are used to having tons to do in Central Texas, despite being outside of the city? Interested in hiking, camping, boating, golf, live music, etc.

4. Any other locations / towns I should consider, given our situation and budget?

Thanks everyone! Greetings from the Lone Star State.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 11:21 AM

19,050 posts, read 25,163,529 times
Having lived in the area for 17 years, I think that I am qualified to give you an accurate account regarding it.

1) Yes, New Brunswick does have gang activity and other crime problems, but--with the exception of a very small part of Franklin Township, adjacent to New Brunswick--crime is not a problem in Franklin. The township encompasses 47 square miles, and the "problem" area is most likely no more than 1.5 sq miles.

I live no more than 2.5 miles west of the areas that you are talking about, and I can tell you that in my close-knit development there has not been a home burglary, or a car theft, or a mugging, or any other type of crime of which I am aware during that 17 year period. As far as I know, the same holds true for the homes adjacent to Amwell Road and DeMott Lane, and in Middlebush and East Millstone (Millstone is a separate community, across the river, and is not a part of Franklin Twp) The crime problem of NB and the area of Franklin directly adjacent to NB is nowhere in evidence around here.

2) Home prices are definitely rising above the low-point that they fell to in 2007-09. At this point, my house is worth more than twice what I paid for it in 1996, although it may have been worth a bit more circa 2004. Crime may be rising in the part of the township adjacent to NB, but it is essentially too low in the majority of the township for there to even be any available statistics. The general feel is of an area populated by well-educated people who value a high quality of life.

Are the schools improving? I honestly can't answer that question, as I don't have any kids. Those who can afford it continue to send their kids to parochial/private schools, just as they have for many years.

3) If you like hiking, Franklin has two state parks--Delaware & Raritan Canal State Park, and the lesser-known (although much larger) Six Mile Run State Park. On days when I want to do a fast power-walk, I use the path along the canal, along with the runners, the bicyclists, and those riding horses. When I want to do a real overland hike, I go to Six Mile Run. I am lucky that my house is directly across the road from Six Mile Run, and about 1 mile from D & R.

Additionally, many folks use their kayaks and canoes on the canal. If you don't have a small boat, you can rent one in Griggstown, one of the truly idyllic little hamlets in Franklin.

For golf, there are two county-run golf courses in town--Quail Brook (on New Brunswick Road), and Spooky Brook, adjacent to Colonial Park on Elizabeth Avenue. There is also a golf course on Bunker Hill Road, but I'm not sure of who operates it.

For theater, there is the active amateur group at the township-run Villagers Barn Theater. For professional productions, there are three theaters in New Brunswick that feature stage plays (sometimes before they open on Broadway), concerts, comedy shows, symphony orchestras, and dance performances. The restaurants adjacent to the theaters (the theaters are clustered together) are upscale and very good.

For camping, you have to head a bit further west, perhaps to Bulls Island or Round Valley.

What many outsiders are not aware of is the reality that approximately 1/3 of the township is "Preserved Land" (either forests, or farms, or native grasslands), and another huge part of the township consists of state park land, so the air is clean and the loudest noises that I hear most days are the birds.

If you have any more specific questions, please feel free to send me a Direct Message.

Old 06-10-2013, 12:15 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,679,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auriga View Post
Hi y'all,
Spouse and I are moving from Texas (Austin area) to central NJ. I work from home. Spouse has job in New Brunswick - hates driving and would prefer as short commute as possible (or train ride). We don't want to live in the city, or in a condo / apt. Definitely want a house, large yard, etc. Quality of schools somewhat irrelevant, as no kids.

Thus, we need to stay as close to NB as possible, and still get a nice house. Budget about 350.

Real estate agent has been showing us few places in Franklin, near DeMott, Amwell, Middlebush, Millstone, etc. Area seems nice enough. But have only been to NJ three times now, and don't know much about the area. Would appreciate any tips or inside info from locals. Specifically concerned about:

1. Crime in NB. Know that there is crime and gang activity. Are we going to be far enough away from the crime in these parts of Franklin?
Hi there. I was looking in Franklin back in 2008 when I was looking at houses. Because of the recession, etc. not much has changed in Franklin.

The area that you are looking at is OK, but Franklin unfortunately has some spillage of crime from New Brunswick.

Quote:
2. What is the general feel of this area? I mean, things seem okay enough on a visit, but what is the trajectory? Are house prices / values going up? Is crime going up or down? Quality of school going up or down? Somewhat reluctant to trust RE agent, who makes everything sound like bed of roses. Of course, he wants to sell and get his commission.
Quality of schools in Franklin are very much in question and one of the reasons why we didn't buy in Franklin. Even though YOU don't have kids, you may be selling down the road to someone who DOES, and that's why the quality of schools matter.

Quote:
3. Things to do in this area? We are used to having tons to do in Central Texas, despite being outside of the city? Interested in hiking, camping, boating, golf, live music, etc.
Plenty of golf in the Middlesex County area. Live music, there's a lot of venues, and both New York and Philly are short trips away. Boating - again, less than an hour away in Monmouth County.

Quote:
4. Any other locations / towns I should consider, given our situation and budget?
Is there a reason why you have to be RIGHT NEXT to New Brunswick?

I would consider South Brunswick and parts of North Brunswick before I would even consider Franklin. A quick search of South Brunswick gives me some results in your price range, and you'll have a much better value than Franklin, IMHO. I would also consider Milltown and East Brunswick. Avoid Edison. (Sky high property taxes, LOTS of issues with local government and police)

Old 06-10-2013, 01:46 PM

Thanks very much for the quick and informative replies, Retriever and sweeptheleg.

If I may summarize the general take-away message - it appears the area I picked is fine in terms of quality and distance from crime in NB. However, it appears I may want to look at a few nearby towns as well, especially for quality of school. I agree that the overall quality matters, even if I don't have kids.

No, I don't need to be right next to NB. Just trying to find the best combination of short commute and a nice low-crime, middle or upper middle class neighborhood. Looks like I am on the right track, just need to consider a wider geographic area before I pick a house to buy. I have a few months to finalize my plans, but don't want to wait too long as both house prices and interest rates seem to be on the way up.

Thanks again for the detailed and nuanced replies. If anyone has any more thoughts, would love to hear.

Old 06-10-2013, 02:01 PM

2,257 posts, read 5,169,856 times
It will be difficult to find a house with a "large yard" and "good schools" around 350k close to New Brunswick. For that, you need somewhere around 450k or probably more. See where you are willing to compromise. Usually, "large yard" is far cheaper than towns with "good schools".

Old 06-10-2013, 02:07 PM

Yes, I hear ya. 350 doesn't buy you nearly what it does in Texas. We can probably stretch to 400 if needed. We are much more willing to lose good schools, than a large yard, firstly because we like to grow a lot of our own food and I'm a rose enthusiast, and of course we don't have kids or plans of any. However, I do realize that bad schools will make the house harder to sell in the future.

Old 06-10-2013, 02:13 PM

264 posts, read 603,522 times
If you don't care about the public schools, Franklin does fit the bill. Its a great area with lots of amenities nearby, quick NB commute being one of them. If you do wish to factor in schools for resale value, then factor in higher home prices and taxes accordingly.

Old 06-10-2013, 02:39 PM

2,744 posts, read 2,382,978 times
if good schools are a priority, check the rest of Somerset County such as Bridgewater or Hillsborough, although you will have a longer commute.

Old 06-10-2013, 02:53 PM

19,050 posts, read 25,163,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auriga View Post
We are much more willing to lose good schools, than a large yard, firstly because we like to grow a lot of our own food
If you move into the area, you should be aware that there is a really good Community-Supported Agriculture project (CSA), at the Griggstown Quail Farm, in the Griggstown section of Franklin. I am a member, and for a few hundred $$ each year, I receive a box of just-picked produce each week that is so superior to anything in the supermarket that there is just no comparison.

While I do grow my own tomatoes & Rosemary (the soil & the NJ summer weather result in the absolute best tomatoes in the entire country!), I like being able to get my Bok Choi, Kale, Broccoli, Swiss Chard, Scallions, Cilantro, melons, summer squash & winter squash from the CSA on a weekly basis, from June through October.

They also provide tomatoes, but I can never get enough of them! The weekly allotment also includes a nice variety of herbs, and you are allowed to cut your own flowers to take home, to boot.

You can learn about the Griggstown CSA at this link What’s a CSA? | Griggstown Quail Farm and Farm Market and you should be aware that they will pro-rate the listed fee downward for those who are late joiners. I have a half-share, and it is more than enough for two people. In fact, some weeks I give some of my bounty to neighbors.

Last edited by Retriever; 06-10-2013 at 03:33 PM..

Old 06-10-2013, 03:02 PM

1,041 posts, read 3,003,908 times
I lived in Franklin Park for a few years, and Retriever is spot on. Since you value the bigger yard and open space, Franklin/Somerset is definitely your best bet. You should be looking at Zips 08823, 08540 and 08873. South Brunswick doesnt buy you a big house or yard for 350, and North Brunswick is much more congested than those areas of Franklin you are looking at.

Perhaps searching down 130 could find you something, in Dayton (08810) or even Monroe (08831)

Just an FYI, i would probably use JFK Blvd as your demarc line. Stay west/north of JFK blvd and you'll be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey