Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 08:54 PM

38 posts, read 152,641 times

Advertisements

Friends... i have been looking for a condo/townhome for a while. I am mostly interested in new constructions. I saw khov townhomes and these cedarwoods condos in piscataway Cedar Woods Condominium – Piscataway, NJ

Can you guys please provide me your inputs with
1. How are the prices ( 250K +) in comparision
2. Commuting to NYC/PHILLY
3. Schools and general life style
4. Resale in 10 years

Thanks in advance....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2011, 06:11 AM

19,126 posts, read 25,327,931 times
You may want to keep looking for other developments.
Why do I say this?
Because a significant number of owners in this developer's earlier project, Birch Glen, had major problems with water intrusion into their basements.
(Birch Glen is the development directly across Birch Run Drive from Cedarwoods)

In almost every case, the developer failed to rectify the problem, and buyers had to remediate their unusable, wet basements on their own.
A very close friend of mine spent approximately $10,000 to correct the water intrusion problems that the developers failed to fix.

On the website for Cedarwoods, it states:
"Quantum Developers Group has earned a solid reputation for integrity, dependability, leadership and value, due in large part to our unwavering attention to quality construction and unfailing pursuit of customer satisfaction."

I could introduce you to a number of people who would dispute the statement above.

Old 05-20-2011, 02:05 PM

i understand not a great builder...but anyone please throw some light on my other questions...

Old 05-24-2011, 09:54 AM

guys... please comment on these condos and location ... need advice soon...thanks in advance....

Old 05-25-2011, 03:06 PM

bump...

Old 05-26-2011, 01:17 PM

5 posts, read 13,456 times
@rookie_buyer,

1. 250k sounds about right for a condo
2. commuting to NYC ~ 1 hour, Philly ~ 1.5
3. School is just OK
4. no one can answer this for you

Old 05-26-2011, 02:23 PM

249 posts, read 825,097 times
Personally, I wouldn't buy a new construction condo, a townhouse - yes, condo - no.

Townhouses are typically 3 bedroom, 2.5 baths with a garage, sometimes even a basement. Essentially all you need in a home.

Condo's are typically 2 bedroom, 2 baths and in central NJ are a dime a dozen. The condo market doesn't seem to be stabilizing. Prices just keep declining.

$250K for a condo is expensive. There are so many in the area that are lower then that. And, IMO buying a new construction condo isn't as important as buying a new construction single family home. The condo's are maintained by a condo association, so you don't need to worry about having to replace the roof or anything on the exterior.

Look for a resale condo that has been upgraded. With the tax credit last year on windows, many older condos now have new windows. And, you can always add the PSE&G worryfree program on the heating, A/C and any appliance.

Old 06-06-2011, 02:41 PM

4 posts, read 12,724 times
We live in the townhouses on Birch Run. We have had no flooding problems so far not do our friends who live here(Birch Glen,MapleWoods and Caterbury). I read some families did have some problems in their basement.My hubby and I both commute to NYC everyday and have several friends in this community who do so too. NJ transit from Dunnelen is a great boon. There is a pending project with NJT to construct a trainstation between BoundBrook and Dunellen thus making commute to NYC better. PA is around an hour plus too.
About schools, Piscataway board is really working on improving the school systems. They opened their own private care for toddlers and PreK too.Majority of the taxes are spent on education, and no doubtedly they school systems are doing very well. I would not grade the schools as Blue Ribbon yet but guess we will not be far. Heritage Houses and the CedarWoods Condos would give a boost to this area too. I definately would recommend purchasing a home in the neighbourhood but buying a new condo for 250K or a brand new Home in Heritage for $415K would be your choice.
PP118

Old 04-21-2013, 02:50 AM

1 posts, read 5,724 times
Thumbs up cedarwoods

I own a condo at Cedarwoods, the place is very nice. At first I was concerned about moving into a condo because I was worried about noise. I lived at Blueberry Village in Edison and I had problems with noise coming from the apartment next to me, but here at Cedarwoods I have no problem what so ever. My place is beautiful and very convenient. I have a friend that lives at Birch Glen and he is very happy with his townhouse, he has no problem with his place. I commute to the city and I take the train in Dunellen which is 5 minutes from Cedarwoods. I love it. I have no problem with the Developer and the place seems constructed very nicely with attention to detail. I definitely recommend this community.

Old 04-22-2013, 08:31 PM

2 posts, read 6,385 times
Default Research

We have been looking for a condo for a long time and found Cedar Woods. We have done some research because we really like it but are not 100% sure. Found out the group that built Birch Glen is not entirely the same group that is building Cedar Woods. We also spoke with someone that moved in and they love it. These condos are amongst the best we have found in the area. My wife really likes it so we are going to make a decision very soon. We think that we finally found the right place for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey