Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 08:19 AM

23 posts, read 160,943 times

Advertisements

So I managed to make what was not such a wise maneuver this morning and was issued a summons for "obstruction" (39:4-67). The cop said he could've given me an additional summons which was more severe, but my record was totally clean up to that point.

Honestly, I don't think I have a strong-enough defense here and am probably just going to pay the $54 fine. Based on a search of that violation here, it doesn't seem horrible and that the only consequences I can see from paying up is that my insurance will likely not be affected, but I would be dealt with more harshly if another cop stops me in the next "X" years.

Does that seem about right? Any idea how long "X" years would be?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 08:43 AM

5,771 posts, read 16,578,952 times
That ticket is a "piece of cake" honestly. That is one of the tickets that if you walked into court and they had a "Wheel of Fortune" wheel and the arrow landed there you'd be jumpin .

No seriously as far as I know that one is really no points and doesn't even show up anywhere even for insurance. By comparison if you where to get the zero points "unsafe driving" ticket, by the time you get done paying all the fees and charges it's around $485 or so and it shows up where your insurance can see it if they check.

Consider it a lucky break, even though you pay a relatively small fee.

Old 06-17-2013, 11:51 AM

23 posts, read 160,943 times
Thanks, that's a funny analogy.

A few hours passed and the nerves have subsided a bit, but I guess I was caught in a no-win situation. I need to merge, within the speed limit, and the driver adjacent to me did the ol' stare-ahead and wouldn't let me in. With not much distance to spare before the turn-off (that part is my fault), it was either aggressively speed up and cut in front of him or drop back and squeeze in behind him. I did the latter, albeit not totally safely, hence the summons (something about slowing the traffic behind me down). Not sure what else I could've done by that point.

Afterward it became obvious that this was one of those high-enforcement days in a few areas. Oh well, I suppose it could've been worse, but now I'd better be careful (even w/ no priors, a 0-point conviction is a wake-up call for someone who's usually cautious).

Old 06-17-2013, 05:25 PM

Yep sometimes they are out to collect revenue. A few years ago I was texting, speeding, wearing no seat belt, got a "tax bill" for changing lanes without using a signal on a 6 lane highway. Obstructing traffic would've been a prize deal at that point but they wouldn't switch it to that.

Old 10-30-2014, 08:23 PM

4 posts, read 121,301 times
Do I have to go to court for an Obstruction of Highway charge?
If so what penalties can the judge impose in open court?
My ticket has no dollar amount, court appearance is not checked.
Only a court date.

Old 10-30-2014, 11:29 PM

If your ticket is written up as that 39:4-67 then as far as I'm concerned you don't have to appear in front of anyone since you said that box is not checked. You should just be able to pay it online if it's been entered into the system already or at the violations dept.

Going to court for that, I don't see any advantage. AFAIK that one never shows up on your records even for insurance, and most other tickets are more expensive than that one.

Old 11-05-2014, 01:00 PM

Update. I tried to pay it they told me I have to go to court. But from what you said , I have nothing to worry about. 54 is the fine plus cost of court, and nothing shows up on my record? I don't need a lawyer right? Thanks for writing back. I am nervous, I never go to court.

Old 11-05-2014, 02:26 PM

Yes if it's a straight 39:4-67 then you just pay a relatively minimal fine and that's it.

According to the web page and personal experience there's no record nor points for it.

State of New Jersey - Motor Vehicle Commission

Old 11-05-2014, 11:00 PM

The charge is called the same thing I looked it up.
Here are the exact municipal numbers on my ticket.
Let me know if this changes anything. Thank You in advance
MC : 395-18

Old 11-06-2014, 07:20 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,395,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movinout77 View Post
Thanks, that's a funny analogy.

A few hours passed and the nerves have subsided a bit, but I guess I was caught in a no-win situation. I need to merge, within the speed limit, and the driver adjacent to me did the ol' stare-ahead and wouldn't let me in. With not much distance to spare before the turn-off (that part is my fault), it was either aggressively speed up and cut in front of him or drop back and squeeze in behind him. I did the latter, albeit not totally safely, hence the summons (something about slowing the traffic behind me down). Not sure what else I could've done by that point.

Afterward it became obvious that this was one of those high-enforcement days in a few areas. Oh well, I suppose it could've been worse, but now I'd better be careful (even w/ no priors, a 0-point conviction is a wake-up call for someone who's usually cautious).
this sounds like what people do on 24 every morning where it meets 287. it blocks up the left lane, which heads to 287 S, for miles unneccessarily. sounds like you did it innocently, but lots of people do it on purpose, which is why it's enforced.

i wish they'd just park a statie at that merge every single morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: