U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2013, 01:02 PM

4 posts, read 13,831 times

Advertisements

Hi!
My family and I are moving to NJ v. soon. We are looking for a good school district, proximity to Basking Ridge (no more than 20 miles), and easy train access to Penn Station. We are willing to spend no more than $700K on a home. Any suggestions on areas that will meet these criteria? From my research Basking Ridge housing is too $$. I am looking at Summit, Madison, Chatham Township. Have I missed any other good areas?
*EDIT*: I am looking for a home/townhome that was built after 1990..

thanks!

Last edited by larte; 06-17-2013 at 02:04 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 01:52 PM

800 posts, read 1,140,238 times
700k can certainly buy you a place in basking ridge or bernardsville, what are you looking for in a home? size? land? etc

Old 06-17-2013, 01:53 PM

4 posts, read 13,831 times
Thanks for the reply. I am looking for 3 bed-2 bath home. A townhome is fine too..Proximity to train station is desirable but not a dealbreaker..

Old 06-17-2013, 01:55 PM

385 posts, read 1,082,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by larte View Post
Hi!
My family and I are moving to NJ v. soon. We are looking for a good school district, proximity to Basking Ridge (no more than 20 miles), and easy train access to Penn Station. We are willing to spend no more than $700K on a home. Any suggestions on areas that will meet these criteria? From my research Basking Ridge housing is too $$. I am looking at Summit, Madison, Chatham Township. Have I missed any other good areas?

thanks!
you can look at basking ridge for some homes, like 33 Knollcroft Road, Basking Ridge NJ - Trulia or 46 Newell Drive, Basking Ridge NJ - Trulia or 77 Cherry Lane, Basking Ridge NJ - Trulia or 26 Huntington Road, Basking Ridge NJ - Trulia. they have great schools. ridge has great schools.

you can look in some of millburn/short hills, which are closer to nyc, have great schools and are 19 miles to bernards. options are 460 Wyoming Avenue, Millburn NJ - Trulia or 11 Douglas Street, Millburn NJ - Trulia or 25 Hobart Gap Road, Short Hills NJ - Trulia.

summit is a great idea, great schools, large downtown and express njt service. options include 231 Mountain Avenue, Summit NJ - Trulia and 28 Shadyside Avenue, Summit NJ - Trulia.

chatham borough and township share schools which are great, but if you're taking train, look in the borough. options include 5 Lincoln Avenue, Chatham NJ - Trulia and 3 Dempster Road, Chatham NJ - Trulia and 130 Center Avenue, Chatham NJ - Trulia.

westfield is a good option, it is like summit, but you have to make 1 transfer to get to penn. options there include 21 Manitou Circle, Westfield NJ - Trulia and 445 Mountain Avenue, Westfield NJ - Trulia.

Old 06-17-2013, 03:07 PM

206 posts, read 491,324 times
I can tell you from experience that you will actually get more house for your money in Basking Ridge than you will in Summit, Madison, and Chatham (since BR is further out from NYC). However you will get less house for your money than in some other towns with very good school districts such as Bernardsville, Warren, Long Hill, Berkeley Heights, etc. Beware someone on the Internet linking you to homes, i've been to some of the ones Slope shows and some have significant problems. For example Newell Drive in BR is a floodzone. Knollcroft alot of things in bad shape/need of updating that are not apparent from the listing. You should really work w/ a realtor.

But basically it comes down to just how elite a school system you're looking for. If you want only a "top 10 in all of NJ" type of system then you're looking at BR, Chatham, New Providence, maybe Bernardsville, Westfield, in terms of close to BR and with train to nyc. The quality of house you'll get in those towns for $700k is decent but equal to a $500k house in alot of other towns. Not going to be a really new updated nice 4 bed colonial. That will be at least 850 in BR/Westfield, 900 in Summit/Madison/Chatham. If you are ok with top 25-30 school system (average sat scores are 30 points lower but still 200 pts above nj average) than you can get a nicer house in towns like Long Hill, Berkeley Heights (those are probably the 2 with direct train to NYC and close to BR that have the best house per $ while still going to very good school system). However Long Hill has really high taxes, and some would consider BH bland/boring (no real downtown outside of strip malls). So everything comes w/ a price, its all about tradeoffs. Madison/Chatham/Summit offer the combination of good train access to NYC, great schools, and nice downtowns, hence they are incredibly expensive.

Old 06-17-2013, 04:33 PM

1,221 posts, read 1,838,113 times
Quote:
Hi!
You have to define easy access to NY Penn a bit. Basically, is your intention to be leaving from Summit, or is being out on the branches (line splits at Summit) fine? If you're a "normal" (typical main hours), the branches are probably fine.

You're forgetting basically everything out on the Gladstone Branch. New Providence, Berkeley Heights, Long Hill Twp (including Gillette, Millington, Stirling), all are good school districts and good areas. Not to say that all of those have large numbers of >1990 homes, but certainly there are a decent number of more recent homes scattered around.

You'd have to look into non-resident parking, but Warren also has good schools and parts of it are near the train.

You've said you don't want to spend more than $700k, but you haven't really said what you're expecting IN your house. Square footage? Bedrooms?

Additionally, as you sound like a non-local, where in NYC (roughly) is the job located? Keep in mind that the PATH may be better than going into NY Penn.

Old 06-18-2013, 03:31 AM

8 posts, read 17,131 times
You should check out Green Brook, Warren or Watchung area, very close to Basking Ridge. These towns all have very good schools and share one high school along with Long Hill townships. You can find houses build post 1995 in Green Brook in 650K to 700K range with 4 bedrooms. However, in Warren or Watchung, you will find older homes in that price range. There are two train lines that go to NYC in the area, Gladstone and Raritan Valley line. There are many folks that communte from these towns to NYC.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:36 AM

22 posts, read 86,308 times
The Hills community at Basking Ridge or Bedminster is relatively new, most of them are move-in-ready. There were 2 or 3 listings for 3-4BR SFH in Hills at BR earlier this year, they are around 700K, but without basement, or very small bedrooms. Warren/Berkely Heights/New Providence are good options too.

Old 06-18-2013, 11:01 AM

6,163 posts, read 12,134,382 times
Quote:
Hi!

thanks!
You will find few houses in Madison, Chatham and Summit that meet those specific criteria. The three bedrooms two baths isn't so difficult, but very little has been built in those areas since 1990, and what has been built will cost a good deal more than $700k.
I ran a quick search, adding to your list the towns of Basking Ridge, Bernardsville, Bedminster, Bridgewater, Green Brook, Warren, & Long Hill. (These are all towns that are very close to Basking Ridge, and all have what are generally regarded as very good schools.) There are over 250 homes or town-homes that meet your criteria, with the exception of the age of the property. If we filter out all those properties built before 1990, we are left with 62 properties.
If what you want is not among those 62, perhaps you want to expand the list to also include some properties that have been renovated recently, to include all the amenities you would get in a newly built home?

Old 06-20-2013, 03:20 PM

200 posts, read 522,043 times
Agree with most of what was said above. Basking Ridge (aka Bernards Twp) is a great school district. Two train stations in the twp, I know for sure that most of them change at Summit, but I think a few 'commuter' time trains go directly into the city. There is also a bus service that goes from the Lyons district of Bernbards Twp.
Newer construction tends to be larger and pricier. Townhomes are under $700k in the Hills. You can get an older home, maybe a small cape cod and there are splits and colonials that are 20-50 years old which will be within your price range.
Bernardsville is a great town, more affordable, train station (on the same line as BR) right in center, taxes slioghtly lower and great schools! You can get a nice house in BV for $700k.
Long Hill twp is nice, but taxes are high and schools not as desirable as BR and BV, but still good.
Peapack Gladstone is a little further out on train line, use Bernardsville schools, not as close to amenities, but nice place to live.
Summit, Madison and Chatham are all desirable and great towns too!
I am a realtor in BV, and would be happy to answer any further questions!
Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey