Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 09:05 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,402,201 times

Advertisements

So, in my commute to and from work, I am noticing more and more Tesla Model Ses on my drive. One pulled up a street only a mile from my home. As people take delivery in NJ, I'm wondering what their general experience is? Summer months may not be the greatest determining factor, but I'm looking for some real world feedback in NJ's climate and topography. I doubt there are any Model S owners on here...but hoping I'm wrong.

Anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 11:13 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,687,668 times
The owner of the company I work for has one. His commute is only around 8 miles, so he doesn't really push it. The furthest he has driven it was a roundtrip to AC and back for a meeting. A total distance of around 105 miles. He has the ~250 mile max range model, but says his reported available range has shown as low as 160 miles on a full charge. I've never driven it, but I have sat in the car. We have an electric car charging station at our office and use it to demo electric and plug-in hybrids for our customers.

The irony is that the company I work for is a fleet management company that also owns a bunch of car dealerships, which is ironic with dealers being Tesla's number one enemy right now. There is apparently some talk of "partnerships" where Tesla would have their own corporate stores, but they would be run in parternship with a dealer group which would help them bypass the state franchise laws in some places.

Old 06-19-2013, 11:37 AM

The displayed range is based on driving habits. then there is the Standard Charge view and the Range Charge view - which will display different numbers. I forget what each means exactly. I took it for a test drive a couple of months ago. Liked it a lot, and it's cavernous inside.

I'd be doing about 20 miles each way. the longest trips i would take on a semi-regular basis would be to philly or scranton, and occasionally harrisburg. all should be feasible but i still need some real world feedback.

The dealership issues are comical to me. Especially in the supposed "free market" states like Texas. But, alas, that's a different conversation. I'm just hoping to see what people are experiencing in NJ. Thanks for the post!

Old 06-19-2013, 04:10 PM

1,041 posts, read 3,012,486 times
I love TSLA. I was kicking around buying their stock when it was in the 30's but it shot up way too quick, and well i missed the boat. Elon Musk is a genius. Look out for Space X. I'm a car nut, I love the Model S. Wish I had 80k to blow on a car. I checked one out at Short Hills over the holidays, amazing car. If you have a short, pretty standard commute (i.e no client meetings across NJ on various days) then i would certainly look at a Model S over comparable E/5 Series. Check that, I would "Lease" a model S. No way I would shell out 80k and have to deal with the long term battery issues. My laptop/smartphone batteryies always deteriorate over time, thats ok when spending a few hundred bucks, not so much when spending 10's of thousands.

Old 06-20-2013, 06:28 AM

40 posts, read 140,806 times
I stopped at one of the Tesla stores out in Long Island. Its a very nice product, coming from someone who has been working for a german car company for 10 years,I was impressed.

I keep seeing a red one everyday on my way home from work. Its always off Broad St in Bloomfield near brookdale park. I am curious who owns it.

Old 06-20-2013, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyStarksNJ View Post
I love TSLA. I was kicking around buying their stock when it was in the 30's but it shot up way too quick, and well i missed the boat. Elon Musk is a genius. Look out for Space X. I'm a car nut, I love the Model S. Wish I had 80k to blow on a car. I checked one out at Short Hills over the holidays, amazing car. If you have a short, pretty standard commute (i.e no client meetings across NJ on various days) then i would certainly look at a Model S over comparable E/5 Series. Check that, I would "Lease" a model S. No way I would shell out 80k and have to deal with the long term battery issues. My laptop/smartphone batteryies always deteriorate over time, thats ok when spending a few hundred bucks, not so much when spending 10's of thousands.
I missed the boat too. I was too afraid that politics would squash the technology, even though I believe in Musk's vision. Space X and don't forget Solar City. His ultimate vision is to create the capability to colonize Mars. It sounds crazy to even state that out loud, but if you look at his various ventures, you see the bigger picture that he has in his mind. I'm also a car nut, and I was still skeptical when I test drove the Model S. I was blown away, and immediately understood Motor Trend's glaring review of the car. Then shortly after that, Consumer Reports released their review, and soon, their rating. The amazing thing about the Model S (which you truly can get into it for $70,000, though when I option it out, it gets close to the $80,000 number) is that it's not incredibly more expensive than the car models it is competing against (Audi A6, BMW 5 series, etc). And i could not believe the space inside the car. the $1500 option for rear-facing seats in the back is a great option for a larger family also. The battery is pretty well warrantied, and I think it's a reasonably safe bet that over the next 5-10 years, we'll see further advances that bring down the replacement cost if it did fail anyhow, but I see your point. It is still new to us, so leasing might be the wise move.

Anyways. Lots of sightings. Saw a Fiskar on the way to work today. Not as impressed with that vehicle, especially not for the price and the reported problems, but still a cool looking vehicle. It got off exit 40 on 78W.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:39 AM

well, Elon Musk may have eliminated one of my last concerns:

Battery Swap | Tesla Motors

Now, I just need to pony up when I'm ready to replace my current vehicle....

Old 06-21-2013, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
well, Elon Musk may have eliminated one of my last concerns:

Battery Swap | Tesla Motors

Now, I just need to pony up when I'm ready to replace my current vehicle....
Easy there brady, I think you have a severe man crush on old Elon, lol.

Between that and the general warranty which even covers degradation over 30% I would not hesitate to buy one if you had the money. They are not only the best electric car on the market, it's a damn good car in it's own right. The only thing really holding it back is the full deployment of the infrastructure, though the same thing was said about gasoline powered cars back in the early 1900's.

Old 06-21-2013, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Easy there brady, I think you have a severe man crush on old Elon, lol.

Between that and the general warranty which even covers degradation over 30% I would not hesitate to buy one if you had the money. They are not only the best electric car on the market, it's a damn good car in it's own right. The only thing really holding it back is the full deployment of the infrastructure, though the same thing was said about gasoline powered cars back in the early 1900's.
I'm definitely full man-crush. being a bit of a science nerd, i've been reading about him for quite some time now. being a car guy, makes me love him even more.

the car was downright amazing. the test drive blew me away. i drove the leaf and it was nice, if you're a greenie who wants to save some coin but drive a boring car around. the tesla was amazing. it's probably about $10,000 more than I'd like to pony up for a vehicle right now (and when i say "than i'd like to", i really mean "than i could absolutely stretch to obtain", because for how much I love cars, i could never see buying many of those $50k + luxury vehicles).

i'm thinking in 3ish years when they announce the 30-40k car, as long as it's not too small, i'll be getting that.

Old 06-21-2013, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
I'm definitely full man-crush. being a bit of a science nerd, i've been reading about him for quite some time now. being a car guy, makes me love him even more.

the car was downright amazing. the test drive blew me away. i drove the leaf and it was nice, if you're a greenie who wants to save some coin but drive a boring car around. the tesla was amazing. it's probably about $10,000 more than I'd like to pony up for a vehicle right now (and when i say "than i'd like to", i really mean "than i could absolutely stretch to obtain", because for how much I love cars, i could never see buying many of those $50k + luxury vehicles).

i'm thinking in 3ish years when they announce the 30-40k car, as long as it's not too small, i'll be getting that.
I've been driving a Volt a lot recently (we have one in our company fleet) and while I like it, I'm not sure it's something I would personally buy. However, the Tesla is something I would buy, but like you, really can't afford. It's not like you can just go and pick one up used either and even when you find a used one they are generally selling for only slightly less than new if not for more than new. The allure on the used car is that you don't have to wait. There are people out there who simply ordered one with all options in a common color scheme just so they could flip it to someone who didn't want to wait the 9 months.

The new small car is reported to be A4/3-series sized from what I've heard at trade shows. Externally it may be a little more compact than those, but it will return greater interior volume, much as the Model S does in its market niche. So, basically around the size of the average midsize sedan. Of course, that won't happen until 2017 at the earliest with the CUV version following a year later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey