Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 06:14 AM

550 posts, read 965,729 times

Advertisements

Funny list, OP.

One more to add:

If you're about to have a yard sale, you have to put up signs all over town with "HUGE Yard Sale" written on them and leave them on the telephone poles until the words fade and a wind storm blows them away.

(Let's not even discuss some of the junk you see at those yard sales, from which the sellers actually expect to make may money.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2013, 06:23 AM

30 posts, read 71,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I have never heard of anyone putting their garbage cans inside of their garage. The idea that someone thinks they would go "back inside" the garage surprises me. Why would you put garbage cans inside the garage in the first place?
Umm - we keep them in the garage or the bears will take them and make a lovely mess of any garbage that may be in them. Plus it makes a much neater look to the outside of the house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post

Ok, I want to know who has a garbage service that gives them 4 garbage cans? I get one.
We have to buy our own.

Old 06-23-2013, 06:41 AM

908 posts, read 1,555,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
In my town you can put as many cans as you want. They even take large pieces of furniture, or whatever you put out there. But I pay a lot of taxes. Up until very recently, you merely had to put your garbage right outside your house and not even bring it to the curb. The town was paying an extra $300,000 a year for that option, and when word got out, some people got mad and the town council decided to get rid of it, but they still will take as much garbage as you produce. I'm not sure how much extra THAT option is, but I like it
When I left NJ for Pa I was shocked that I had to pay extra for our garbage removal, $3 a bag about, and there is a limit in some towns to how much you can put out. Some towns make you pay in advance for the year, which works out to $3 a bag, and only allows 2 bags per week. Large items are an extra $10 a piece, maybe more in other areas. There is a HUGE dumping problem, and its not uncommon to find trash dumped on highways, parks, forests, some jackass even dumped their crap in my yard! I see more junk in people's yards & porches here, than I EVER saw in NJ.

The taxes may be lower, but you don't even get what you pay for. My family members looked into buying up here, and after visiting, seeing how mismanaged towns were, the poor schools, poor healthcare, screwed up roads that destroy your car, and especially the pricey waste removal, they decided to just deal with NJ's higher taxes. People complain that NJ is pricey. I was one of those complainers until I moved and saw that the grass is NOT greener. At least in NJ you are provided amenities you don't get in many places. Like I said, this list describes PA.

Old 06-23-2013, 09:18 AM

20,329 posts, read 19,918,958 times
Quote:
....... Why would you put garbage cans inside the garage in the first place?.
Bears and racoons but mainly bears.

Old 06-23-2013, 10:50 AM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stradivarius View Post
Funny list, OP.

One more to add:

If you're about to have a yard sale, you have to put up signs all over town with "HUGE Yard Sale" written on them and leave them on the telephone poles until the words fade and a wind storm blows them away.

(Let's not even discuss some of the junk you see at those yard sales, from which the sellers actually expect to make may money.)
Ha, too true, both about the signs and the stuff for sale at the yard sales.

If I happen to drive by one, I slow down to look. If I see a bunch of Fisher-Price plastic houses and cars and whatnot, I know to just keep going.

Old 06-23-2013, 10:58 AM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty231 View Post
Umm - we keep them in the garage or the bears will take them and make a lovely mess of any garbage that may be in them. Plus it makes a much neater look to the outside of the house.

We have to buy our own.
Well, keeping away bears, that would make sense! I had raccoons getting into my garbage once, so I waited until morning to put out the garbage. A couple of weeks after that, a guy two blocks away got bit by a rabid raccoon in broad daylight. I would never think twice about seeing garbage cans at the side of a house, though, not being "neat enough".

I also grew up in a different time. People weren't so worried about what their neighbors thought. I mean, you kept your lawn mowed and your house painted and in good repair, but people didn't have to undergo months of psychotherapy because clover or dandelions popped up on their lawns. No one used pesticides. You just had a natural lawn, and people didn't hire "landscapers" to cut their grass. No one went dashing to the phone in hysterics to call the town council because the teenage boys across the street worked on old cars in their driveways. (This actually happened when my brothers were teenagers and the new people in the new house across the street who'd pranced in from the city were horrified to find out that suburban living didn't look like the set of The Brady Bunch show.)

Sometimes the things that people feel are important puzzle me. Keeping out animals, well yeah. Worrying about how garbage cans look at the side of your house...why? Is there some reason you would want people to think your family doesn't generate garbage like everyone else? It doesn't really matter--to each their own peculiarities, but I would never drive by a house and think anything of seeing a garbage can.

Old 06-23-2013, 11:08 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,517,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic78 View Post
We've lived in NJ since 2007, and here are some observations about NJ people that I have made.... this isn't supposed to be serious.

1. When you need to do yardwork, you have to take off your shirt. Mowing the lawn fully clothed is prohibited in our neighborhood.

2. You have to own at least 3 used, American cars to fit in. One of them has to be a pickup truck and the other has to be a Charger or Mustang.

3. Out of these three cars, at least one of them has to be parked in your driveway covered by a tarp.

4. You can never, ever use your garage, ever. Garages are used for junk. Driveways and streets are used for cars. See number 3.

5. You have to have at least 4 garbage cans at your house. They have to remain at the end of your driveway for at least 2 days after garbage day and outside your garage for another 2 days, or whenever your next garbage days is. Therefore, your garbage cans never go back inside your garage...ever.

6. Cars have to be parked rear facing in your driveways. New Jerseyans do not like to back out of the driveway in the mornings.

7. There has to be something in your yard covered by a blue tarp. It doesn't matter what it is, wood, dirt, etc. You have to have blue in your yard.

That is it for now...please feel free to add your own.
Sounds like Sussex County but by no means most of NJ!!

Old 06-23-2013, 11:50 AM

908 posts, read 1,555,228 times
Quote:
Well, keeping away bears, that would make sense! I had raccoons getting into my garbage once, so I waited until morning to put out the garbage. A couple of weeks after that, a guy two blocks away got bit by a rabid raccoon in broad daylight. I would never think twice about seeing garbage cans at the side of a house, though, not being "neat enough".

I also grew up in a different time. People weren't so worried about what their neighbors thought. I mean, you kept your lawn mowed and your house painted and in good repair, but people didn't have to undergo months of psychotherapy because clover or dandelions popped up on their lawns. No one used pesticides. You just had a natural lawn, and people didn't hire "landscapers" to cut their grass. No one went dashing to the phone in hysterics to call the town council because the teenage boys across the street worked on old cars in their driveways. (This actually happened when my brothers were teenagers and the new people in the new house across the street who'd pranced in from the city were horrified to find out that suburban living didn't look like the set of The Brady Bunch show.)

Sometimes the things that people feel are important puzzle me. Keeping out animals, well yeah. Worrying about how garbage cans look at the side of your house...why? Is there some reason you would want people to think your family doesn't generate garbage like everyone else? It doesn't really matter--to each their own peculiarities, but I would never drive by a house and think anything of seeing a garbage can.

Old 06-23-2013, 11:55 AM

210 posts, read 382,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic78 View Post

4. You can never, ever use your garage, ever. Garages are used for junk. Driveways and streets are used for cars. See number 3. .
I've lived in NJ for most of my life and am laughing at the list, but can't agree with most of what you listed. The only one that I HAVE seen is the one I listed above, when I lived in a townhome this was true.

I need to drive around Florham Park and take a look (I actually work there, LOL).

Old 06-23-2013, 12:25 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,684,988 times
I don't find the list funny only bc I can't relate to any of it, despite living in Hudson, Essex, Passaic, Somerset, Burlington and Morris counties. Weird.

Anyway, we keep recycling in the garage and cans outside next to garage. No easy access to garage from my kitchen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey