Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 09:34 AM

29 posts, read 83,116 times

Advertisements

I recently accepted an elementary teaching job in Newark at a charter school. One thing about it is that since it is a charter school, it is a little different than the public schools. There is a lot of parental support and involvement, has good academic results, and the behavior of the students is exceptional. With that said, it is in Newark and not a good area of Newark at all. I am obviously concerned about safety, but I am still definitely taking the job and not backing out. It is completely gated and the parking lot is right at the school doors. I am a young female in my 20s. Can anyone give me the best advice to stay safe? Or anyone who teaches in Newark have any advice? What do I need to worry about? I am not planning on living there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2013, 09:54 AM

882 posts, read 1,665,744 times
What part of town is the Charter in? My gf's brother goes to one a few blocks down from Rutgers Newark on University Avenue. That area seems fine, at least during daytime. My experience is limited to the University area, but I've never had any problems in 3 years, which includes walking back from bars at 1 AM and driving up South Orange Ave. at 4 AM. In general, the blocks by the Universities and downtown by the arena and government buildings are fine during the daytime, and a few bars and restaurants in that area mean there's generally a safe crowd in the early evening. Ironbound is rowdy but usually not too unsafe. The western part of the city heading up Springfield Ave and South Orange Ave have a lot of crime, but I've never felt unsafe driving by. I know less about the north and south wards.

If you're looking to live nearby, there are a lot of great options. Kearny and Harrison to the east offer easy access to NYC, while Maplewood and South Orange to the west have nice downtowns. Bloomfield to the north offers a fairly safe, diverse, and cheaper alternative.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:54 AM

8 posts, read 103,745 times
You should be fine. Most likely you will be leaving before dark. I've never heard of teachers being harmed in Newark, there are lots of business people woking in the city. It's like being in NYC everywhere has a seedy area. Just pay attention to your surrounding and carry mace if you feel threatened.

Old 06-24-2013, 03:00 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,613,254 times
Stay out at night and if you park anywhere outside the gated area make sure your car is secure or may get a parking ticket or stolen or broken into. If you're from SC u are in for a culture shock, I hope u don't have a big accent otherwise everyone is gonna call u out of it lol. There are safe parts of Newark to live but u will be in very close proximity to murders and crime. I left because I'm use to plentiful parking and lots of space.

Old 06-24-2013, 05:31 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,743,784 times
As someone that spent 8 years visiting different low performing schools on a regular basis many in bad neighborhoods, my opinion would be that you will be fine. If the neighborhood is that concerning, try not to work late especially when it gets dark early. if you do, have someone walk you to your car if need be. As said above, always pay attention and dont do anything to draw attention to yourself(wear flashy jewelry....). Im sure your fellow teachers can also give you advice, especially those that have been there a few years. Good luck in the new job. Im sure you are going to do great things and change some lives.

Old 06-24-2013, 08:16 PM

989 posts, read 1,873,345 times
Newark is a toilet.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:19 PM

29 posts, read 83,116 times
Thanks, everyone. What most of you said, is generally how I feel. I think it should be fine, as long as I go to work during the day and then come straight home. I live about a half hour away in a very safe town, so luckily I won't need to worry about looking for somewhere to live/relocating. And I'm not from SC - I just lived down there for a few years for college!

Old 06-25-2013, 09:38 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,366,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCNewbie22 View Post
I recently accepted an elementary teaching job in Newark at a charter school. One thing about it is that since it is a charter school, it is a little different than the public schools. There is a lot of parental support and involvement, has good academic results, and the behavior of the students is exceptional. With that said, it is in Newark and not a good area of Newark at all. I am obviously concerned about safety, but I am still definitely taking the job and not backing out. It is completely gated and the parking lot is right at the school doors. I am a young female in my 20s. Can anyone give me the best advice to stay safe? Or anyone who teaches in Newark have any advice? What do I need to worry about? I am not planning on living there.
there are decent parts of newark. i know people who live in newark, not everyone there lives in fear. that being said, you have to be smart and careful in any city, especially in Newark. don't let people freak you out, but I'm sure you'll get some helpful tips on here.

Old 06-25-2013, 09:49 AM

1,197 posts, read 1,620,154 times
In a word: awareness. Be sure to know where you are going and what you are doing at all times, and always make sure that you appear to as well.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:06 AM

882 posts, read 1,665,744 times
Quote:
In a word: awareness. Be sure to know where you are going and what you are doing at all times, and always make sure that you appear to as well.
THIS. My gf is 5'1 100 lbs, but has lived in the city all her life and has the attitude and the awareness that she doesn't get hassled. I'm 6'2 175, but still exude 'scared suburban whiteboy.'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey