Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2013, 12:13 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,684,988 times

Advertisements

Saturday we're headed to the Mets game. However my son has to work in Morristown in the morning and my husband is taking him. My other son and I will head to M'town later in the morning and then we'll all head to Secaucus Junction. Coming back home and then heading out in one car isn't an option. Where can we leave one car for about 10 hours without having to pay? I noticed the train lots are all pay on the weekend (or permit). We're not catching mass transit from there so one of those types of lots is not imperative. If worse comes to worse we can park in one of the lots near Mayo (like Vail Mansion) but free is always preferable. TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 12:22 PM

882 posts, read 1,670,353 times
Try parking on the street on Washington Place. It's right next to the national park, so it's a safe street where no one will bother your car. It's probably a 15 minute walk down to the train station from there. Otherwise, parking in Morristown is tricky, as there's metered parking even a few blocks off the main streets, and I think it's a two hour limit. You could try the big public lot behind the Grasshopper, I seem to remember that having a fairly cheap rate and longer hours. DO NOT park in the strip mall with the Burger King, cars are frequently ticketed/towed there.

Old 06-24-2013, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJhighlands87 View Post
Try parking on the street on Washington Place. It's right next to the national park, so it's a safe street where no one will bother your car. It's probably a 15 minute walk down to the train station from there. Otherwise, parking in Morristown is tricky, as there's metered parking even a few blocks off the main streets, and I think it's a two hour limit. You could try the big public lot behind the Grasshopper, I seem to remember that having a fairly cheap rate and longer hours. DO NOT park in the strip mall with the Burger King, cars are frequently ticketed/towed there.
Thank you! We don't have to be near the train station, we're driving to Secaucus. That street is about 2 miles from where my son is working and more importantly, near 287 so it's not a pain to get to after the game. Thanks!

Old 06-24-2013, 12:54 PM

882 posts, read 1,670,353 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJhighlands87

Thank you! We don't have to be near the train station, we're driving to Secaucus. That street is about 2 miles from where my son is working and more importantly, near 287 so it's not a pain to get to after the game. Thanks!
My pleasure! Just don't park in the lots if you're going to be there late, the park closes at 5. Do stop in the museum some other time though if you're in the area

Old 06-24-2013, 03:04 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,979,002 times
You could all drive 5 minutes and park at the county library on Hanover Ave.

Old 06-24-2013, 06:38 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,453,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
Saturday we're headed to the Mets game. However my son has to work in Morristown in the morning and my husband is taking him. My other son and I will head to M'town later in the morning and then we'll all head to Secaucus Junction. Coming back home and then heading out in one car isn't an option. Where can we leave one car for about 10 hours without having to pay? I noticed the train lots are all pay on the weekend (or permit). We're not catching mass transit from there so one of those types of lots is not imperative. If worse comes to worse we can park in one of the lots near Mayo (like Vail Mansion) but free is always preferable. TIA!

There is plenty of free parking at the rear of the Morristown municipal Bldg. Although the address for the bldg is 200 South street, the lot is accessed off of Franklin. (which is off Elm Street between Morris Ave and South street. Seeing as the municipal offices will be mostly closed, save for the police dept, which is housed there, the lot is mostly empty on weekends. Being the police come in and out all the time, the should be no issue of car break-ins, etc. It also gives you easy access to 287, as the entrances, exits are 2 blks away. on 124/South Street. I've left my car there once when meeting up with someone to head out shopping for a day, I asked a police officer who happened to be in the lot, if it would be ok, and he said it was fine, just don't leave it there overnight or for days.

HTH

KoalaNJ

Old 06-25-2013, 08:40 AM

Thanks all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey