Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 04:30 PM

19 posts, read 58,395 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I'm a recent college grad from Michigan and I am planning on applying to Rutgers University for graduate school to start next fall. I've been in correspondence with someone from the program I'm interested in. So far the program sounds great, however I don't know much about Rutgers as a whole or about New Brunswick (except that it's in close proximity to a lot of other major cities on the East Coast). The current student told me that New Brunswick overall is pretty safe, and that there are some parts that feel less "college town-y" and are frequented more by young professionals (which actually sounds quite refreshing to me as a prospective grad student). If anyone can shed some light on the safety, cost of living (I'd probably move there by myself and ideally live in a studio apartment), and overall "vibe" of the New Brunswick area I'd appreciate it. Also what's the campus environment like? Is it also pretty safe? Is it a pretty well known and widely recognized school? Any advice is welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 05:15 PM

23,269 posts, read 16,941,629 times
RU collega ave and Douglass, Heights and Cook are safe places. Free bus service to all campuses as RU is spread out.

As you cross town the area around Remsen st has quite a few notches in its belt for bad stuff.

J&J owns the town and has major presence along Hamilton and Albany st.

"Close" is a relative term as is 'major cities'.

Train goes inot NYC if that is your cup of tea. As the song says its 'on the banks of the old Rariatan' which is undergoing a restoration and is tidewater in NB. Johnson park across from College ave campus along with a small zoo,

Area's surrounding RU are rural with the Delaware and Raritan canal rising in NB, ride your bike many miles along the towpath to Princeton and Carnaegie lake. Great fishing too.

Area is steeped in history with parks galore.

aparments along Nichol ave at Cook/Douglas and across the river in highland park....and between Easton ave and College ave.

St peters and Robert Wood Johnson hospitals within a couple miles of each other.

Cross rt ! on the Cook campus and enjoy the RU gardens and bambo forest along Lawrence brook/Farrington lake.

Quick access to major rds njtrnpke, rt 1, rt 130, rt 27 to Princeton through Iselin, rt 287.

Old 06-24-2013, 05:53 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,042,748 times
Kracer summed NB up pretty well.

Some fancy restaurants, plenty of casual food places & bars, performing arts, a comedy club. Some of the blocks off the beaten path can be a bit shady but you'll find that in any NJ city. NYC is 1 hour north by train & Philly is an hour south. If you have a car you'll only be 40 minutes from the beach. Location-wise NB is great. Soon they'll even have Big 10 football.

Old 06-24-2013, 06:04 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,723,624 times
They both gave great descriptions. Cost of living is subjective. If you know what you can afford that would help.

Also, parking is a pain.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:52 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,189,063 times
Yes, I would say RU is a pretty well known and widely recognized school. Except you are asking if it is, so I'm not so sure!

Douglass is a nice area, but you have to know where you are. Nichol is a nice street, but not all of Nichol. Nichol is the street that runs parallel to campus. The perpendicular streets are also nice, but only for about a block and a half off of Nichol.

Any street off of College Ave is decent. You'll find a lot of new buildings that have gone up in the past year or two. They are a little more expensive than most of the area, but they are brand spanking new & have underground parking, washer/dryers on site, etc. I believe they have studio apts. in these newer buildings. I don't know how much luck you'll have finding a studio in a house (the majority of off campus housing is found in two family + houses. Some were built to be multi-family residences, most were converted in to multi-family residences over the years).

Here's one of the new buildings: http://www.places4students.com/Place...25pIyw3hW6k%3d

Sicard is right across the street from campus.

Here's the main site: http://ruoffcampus.rutgers.edu/searc...reate-listings

Good luck!

Last edited by Informed Info; 06-24-2013 at 08:08 PM..

Old 06-24-2013, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post

As you cross town the area around Remsen st has quite a few notches in its belt for bad stuff.

J&J owns the town and has major presence along Hamilton and Albany st.

"Close" is a relative term as is 'major cities'.
By "close to major cities" I was primarily referring to NYC and Philly as EBWick mentioned.

Also, like I said I'm quite unfamiliar with the East Coast. What exactly is J&J? And when you say "bad stuff" what type of crime did you mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
They both gave great descriptions. Cost of living is subjective. If you know what you can afford that would help.

Also, parking is a pain.
Well I'd probably go with a studio because I don't really think I'll need a ton of space. I'd probably be will to pay $700-$900 (preferably on the lower end of that, but also I'm a year out from this so my financial situation could change). Is that reasonable for a studio in the area?

Thanks to everyone for the advice! I know that one of the current students I talked to mentioned something about how a lot of students save money by living outside of New Brunswick and commuting in? Does anyone know much about the surrounding areas and also how feasible it would be commuting (either driving myself or using public transit if available)?

Old 06-24-2013, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
Yes, I would say RU is a pretty well known and widely recognized school. Except you are asking if it is, so I'm not so sure!
I was looking mostly for the reputation of the school. I had definitely heard of it long before I began to consider applying. I'm guessing though since it's widely recognized it has a good reputation.

Old 06-24-2013, 08:09 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,189,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBums1028 View Post
I was looking mostly for the reputation of the school. I had definitely heard of it long before I began to consider applying. I'm guessing though since it's widely recognized it has a good reputation.
I added the website most students use to find off campus housing to my previous post...was posting the same time you were!

Old 06-24-2013, 08:15 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,042,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBums1028 View Post
By "close to major cities" I was primarily referring to NYC and Philly as EBWick mentioned.

Also, like I said I'm quite unfamiliar with the East Coast. What exactly is J&J? And when you say "bad stuff" what type of crime did you mean?

Well I'd probably go with a studio because I don't really think I'll need a ton of space. I'd probably be will to pay $700-$900 (preferably on the lower end of that, but also I'm a year out from this so my financial situation could change). Is that reasonable for a studio in the area?

Thanks to everyone for the advice! I know that one of the current students I talked to mentioned something about how a lot of students save money by living outside of New Brunswick and commuting in? Does anyone know much about the surrounding areas and also how feasible it would be commuting (either driving myself or using public transit if available)?
Not sure if living out of town will really save $ since Rutgers is surrounded mostly by traditional suburbs with single-family homes. Again, it's just a matter of driving around and checking out the rental stock.

J&J is Johnson & Johnson. The people that make your Band-Aids, Tylenol and baby powder. They've been prevalent in that part of NJ for many decades.

Standard crime you get in any urban center. Thefts, robberies, the occasional murder. Although NB is MUCH better a city than Newark & Camden which are mostly long gone.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
I added the website most students use to find off campus housing to my previous post...was posting the same time you were!
Yeah I got a little post happy on here... I will keep track of that website, it seems very helpful. Thank you for sharing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
Not sure if living out of town will really save $ since Rutgers is surrounded mostly by traditional suburbs with single-family homes. Again, it's just a matter of driving around and checking out the rental stock.

J&J is Johnson & Johnson. The people that make your Band-Aids, Tylenol and baby powder. They've been prevalent in that part of NJ for many decades.
Making the connection between J&J and Johnson & Johnson completely went over my head! Can't believe I couldn't figure that out on my own...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey