Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2013, 12:45 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,406,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
he couldn't rape and kill her even if he doesn't have a gun? I guess the concept is that throwing the gun in there increases the chances of her being murdered. still, she is completely at the guys mercy and id rather her have the chance to fight back than have to hope he doesn't kill my wife.
he didn't rape and kill her. you're talking about a hypothetical, i'm actually talking about what happened. it goes to other hypothetical situations though. you're on a street, and someone comes up to you and demands your wallet (or phone, or watch, w/e). you have a gun. you could give the person your wallet, and likely be on your way, or you can introduce a gun to the situation over a wallet (which in my case would have nothing of value in it except my time spent at the DMV getting a new license). Maybe nothing happens other than him walking away when you pull the gun out. But there are various stats out there that show how people misuse guns in those situations, and the gun gets turned on them.

my point about this particular scenario in this thread, with video evidence, with a woman who was brutally assaulted is just that....if she had a gun sitting in the room, even if you want to assume she's an ultra-responsible gun owner and has it in a biometric safe within arms reach of the couch, she'd still have to retrieve the gun while getting kicked/punched, aim the gun (without endangering the child in the room) while getting kicked/punched, and successfully shoot her attacker.

my money is on that not being the likely outcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubileefd View Post
The only preventative measure in my opinon in this case is a mean dog - not the little ones that runs away. I am not ant-gun, but with kids, they'd be locked away triple times and then how much time do you have to go and get it anyway?

Meanwhile seems to me they will not catch this guy. On camera, finger prints everwhere..and didn't look to be running - yet it's a cold trail. Great job MPD.
in fairness to the MPD, unless someone comes forward to identify the guy, what more can they do?

WOPD just arrested 4 teens who assaulted someone on the street because they released the video survailance. i think it took over a month though (and a $5,000 reward)

Old 06-27-2013, 12:49 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
he didn't rape and kill her. you're talking about a hypothetical, i'm actually talking about what happened. it goes to other hypothetical situations though. you're on a street, and someone comes up to you and demands your wallet (or phone, or watch, w/e). you have a gun. you could give the person your wallet, and likely be on your way, or you can introduce a gun to the situation over a wallet (which in my case would have nothing of value in it except my time spent at the DMV getting a new license). Maybe nothing happens other than him walking away when you pull the gun out. But there are various stats out there that show how people misuse guns in those situations, and the gun gets turned on them.

my point about this particular scenario in this thread, with video evidence, with a woman who was brutally assaulted is just that....if she had a gun sitting in the room, even if you want to assume she's an ultra-responsible gun owner and has it in a biometric safe within arms reach of the couch, she'd still have to retrieve the gun while getting kicked/punched, aim the gun (without endangering the child in the room) while getting kicked/punched, and successfully shoot her attacker.

my money is on that not being the likely outcome.
your using a hypothetical the same as me. you are assuming that she pulls out a gun and he gets the gun and kills her.

anyway, if you feel comfortable just rolling the dice and going with the odds on a situation that involved loss of your wife and child's life; I guess that's your choice. id rather not roll the dice. there may be an opportunity to get the gun and there may not be an opportunity. but without the gun; you don't get to make that choice. its all 100% in the hands of a guy who would break into your home while you are there.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiLIFE View Post
I keep my Benelli close by...doesn't require much of an aim to take down the home invader. if she were trained in gun use, it would've been the first thing she grabbed when she heard a noise and then when she saw him in her home she would've already known that she has every right to defend herself, home and children so she would've fired on sight. A trained gun owner knows how to operate their weapon and how to respond to a threat. others make it sound like if she got the gun for a xmas gift, but never took it out of the box and then decided to grab it that day without any training, the whole thing would've backfired on her (no pun intended). Well, in that instance, yes probably so. but, in the case where someone is trained in HD and how to use a gun, the perp is typically picked up shortly following the illegal entry by the morgue's meat wagon.
i agree....a well-trained, responsible gun owner, would likely have done as you described. having grown up around guns my entire life, in an area where almost everyone has a gun, with a best friend who's father owns (still) a gun shop....my experience tells me that the people you describe are much more rare than people like to believe. and still, even trained gun owners have accidents. as a trained gun owner, i'm smart enough to know to not have them in the house with young children, in anything other than a gun safe, with ammunition locked seperately.

the only exceptions to this i personally believe are people who are highly trained - military, security, police, etc., who continue their training and fire their weapons regularly as practice/training.

Seeing as though this person in this video didn't even have time to dial 911, i'm just not buying this particular case as a good example of "if she had a gun...."

Old 06-27-2013, 12:56 PM

146 posts, read 626,182 times
Quote:
in fairness to the MPD, unless someone comes forward to identify the guy, what more can they do?

WOPD just arrested 4 teens who assaulted someone on the street because they released the video survailance. i think it took over a month though (and a $5,000 reward)
How about investigative detective work? You can't solve cases on tips alone. They should put this on a national show, I really have little faith in local cops sorry to say.

Re: the gun conversation, if this woman was a trained, responsible gun owner, she would not miss. She would be well within her rights as he has invaded her home, is clearly an aggressor, and she is protecting her chidren. This is different from a guy on the street example you use.

Now personally I do not feel comfortable with a gun in my home with little kids. Plus I dont get (but I am not well versed in guns) how a person gets it in time to react without having it somewhere easily accessible - which would then be a risk to the kids. But I would have no problem if someone shot and killed a guy who invaded their home aggressively - regardless of the degree of violence he intended to commit.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:56 PM

Quote:
your using a hypothetical the same as me. you are assuming that she pulls out a gun and he gets the gun and kills her.

anyway, if you feel comfortable just rolling the dice and going with the odds on a situation that involved loss of your wife and child's life; I guess that's your choice. id rather not roll the dice. there may be an opportunity to get the gun and there may not be an opportunity. but without the gun; you don't get to make that choice. its all 100% in the hands of a guy who would break into your home while you are there.
no, i'm not assuming it...i'm watching the video and wondering where she would have the gun, and how she would get it during this attack. and i'm also using my knowledge of the statistics of what happens frequently when guns are introduced in situations like this one. now, if as MiamiLife indicated, she was highly trained in self defense and firearms handling, then maybe you're assumptions are better than mine. you obviously aren't aware of the odds if you're thinking the gun is the right gamble in this situation.

without knowing more details, it's tough to say, but this looks like a random burglary where a person was unfortunately home. at that point, he's in trouble. i'm surprised he didn't just bolt (which i think gives some creedence to the drug addiction theories). he instead chose to elevate his crime to assaulting someone. But yeah....i'll take the odds that in my home, it's unlikely for this to even happen, and if it does, it's unlikely for the criminal to do anything other than take valuable property and bolt, rather than introducing a weapon into my household where the odds dramatically increase to have an accident with the gun. or, even within a scenario, how odds dramatically increase that i, or my wife, get shot, by introducing a gun to the scenario.

i'm guessing you don't have handguns in biometric safes throughout your house. so while you claim that's what you *would* do, it's likely it's not what you *are doing*

Old 06-27-2013, 01:00 PM

Quote:
no, i'm not assuming it...i'm watching the video and wondering where she would have the gun,
really? are you impressed by the ability of both the perp and the woman to be in one part of the room and in a flash they are in the opposite side of the room? im not sure how you could draw that conclusion from the video since it seems to be either edited or the people have teleportation abilities.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:02 PM

Quote:
i'm guessing you don't have handguns in biometric safes throughout your house. so while you claim that's what you *would* do, it's likely it's not what you *are doing*
it depends on where they are. they are either in a biometric safe or a push button type combination safe.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubileefd View Post
How about investigative detective work? You can't solve cases on tips alone. They should put this on a national show, I really have little faith in local cops sorry to say.

Re: the gun conversation, if this woman was a trained, responsible gun owner, she would not miss. She would be well within her rights as he has invaded her home, is clearly an aggressor, and she is protecting her chidren. This is different from a guy on the street example you use.

Now personally I do not feel comfortable with a gun in my home with little kids. Plus I dont get (but I am not well versed in guns) how a person gets it in time to react without having it somewhere easily accessible - which would then be a risk to the kids. But I would have no problem if someone shot and killed a guy who invaded their home aggressively - regardless of the degree of violence he intended to commit.
are you assuming they aren't investigating?

and yes, it is different than the street scenario. that's a couple too many ifs for me. and even if she was trained and responsible, there's no guarantee she wouldn't miss.

given this video, she'd probably be as you said, well within her rights. but if the person had kicked the door down and she immediately shot him, then it's not as clear as you're stating. the child helps the case though.

i'm with you - i don't feel comfortable with a gun in my home with little kids, and i am fairly well versed with guns.

as far as getting it in time, while still being safe, Captain's biometric safe idea is the best idea. they make them specifically for handguns. the one in the top left is probably the best for these situations (Biometric Gun Safes - Fingerprint Gun Safes | GunVault).

But still, now we're assuming she gets a gun out safely and doesn't endanger her own child. I dunno - that's a lot of things that need to go right.

as for being ok with shooting someone who is aggressively charging in your home - sure, i can agree with that. but now, you just have to prove it in court.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:04 PM

Quote:
really? are you impressed by the ability of both the perp and the woman to be in one part of the room and in a flash they are in the opposite side of the room? im not sure how you could draw that conclusion from the video since it seems to be either edited or the people have teleportation abilities.
i just assumed Scotty was involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey