Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2013, 06:48 AM

908 posts, read 1,555,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by colcat View Post
Ah, yes, the old "white peeps have it easy" routine.
Well, deny it all you want, but they DO! It doesn't excuse this guy, but yeah, there IS white privilege.

What Would You Do? Bike Theft (White Guy, Black Guy, Pretty Girl) - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 07:07 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
You are certainly right with double standards. No Al Sharpton marching because Trayvon was quoted as calling Zimmerman Creepy Ass Cracker. But the food lady used the N word 30 years ago and it's on every channel on the planet and newspaper. So yes there is a double standard, it depends who and how you look at it. Now back to the original thread, I hope he gets shived in jail to save us taxpayers his room and board.
now it's 30 years? why don't you understand the full story before you comment on something. anyone up for a plantation wedding? i know someone who has all the details figured out....

Old 07-01-2013, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Only in the USA, our judicial system lets these thugs out to prey on innocent people. It's sad. I'm not a gun nut but with this happening I could see the point of people wanting to arm themselves to defend their loved ones. This is/was a perfect example of someone who should have been incarcerated for life not being on the street.
yeah, it's not like we have the highest incarceration rate in the world or anything. we definitely have an aversion to locking people up.

Old 07-01-2013, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
what happened to 3 times and your out? I don't know anything about that so maybe that was never a reality. the problem seems to be that criminals have more advocates than victims. "oh that poor guy with the single mother and living in a bad area all his life; he needs to be helped not punished."

I don't consider myself a "gun nut" either but im a nut when it comes to the safety of my family. I know you cant be 100% safe but I like to be as safe as I can reasonably be. I have life insurance from a financial company, I have home invasion insurance from springfield armory.
i dunno - why don't you move to a state that has the 3 strikes law? hmmm...maybe because those states are the ones darn near bankrupt due to having people in jail for shoplifting.

Old 07-01-2013, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I agree completely. Non violent drug offenses have no place in our prison system. Space should be freed up to keep animals like this guy locked up. It would also save us a lot of money so I don't understand why conservatives have an issue with this. At the same time there are also liberal policies that place too much weight on society. The more you tell people that their actions are not their fault, the more they actually believe it. Society needs to take a hard stance against violent crime. If you want to be wishy washy about some pick pocket or petty car thief, that's one thing, but when it comes to people who use violence to take whatever they want we shouldn't be providing them any excuses for their actions.
Probably not the best place to get into it, so maybe DM me, cause I don't want to get into some ridiculous exchange with some other posters - but what are the liberal policies that place too much weight on society"? Just thinking briefly about it, I can think of policies to address homelessness, which would include homeless shelters, mental health acknowledgement and treatment, and taking care of our veterans; policies to reduce poverty, which would include early education, better education in schools (though there's lot of disagreement even amongst political parties on what translated to improvements), sex education, contraceptive availability, etc.; what else? And, I know it's hard for people to believe, but many people (i.e., 'liberals') believe in these policies so that the "trouble" can be pushed out of the way of the people who want to excel in life and not have homeless people wandering their streets or people with mental disorders harrassing them (in other words - many people support these policies for selfish reasons, not for altruistic reasons).

I don't know that many people who tell others that their actions aren't their fault. At least, I don't think that's their intention, even if that's what it sounds like to people when someone brings up mental illness, or other issues. It's not an excuse, so much as it is an explanation. I took a lot of interest in crime and punishment studies, and i also think it's quite interesting that as we learn more things about humans, we find out some of the ways our brains work in different ways. Again, this isn't to excuse people, or to create some sort of world like Minority Report, but it's a conversation worth having.

Feel free to DM me. I like discussing this issue, just have a feeling it might spiral out of control on this thread so that's all i will say directly related to this.

Old 07-01-2013, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorfulchic83 View Post
Definitely, liberals are NOT free from blame. I think they too, have become very extreme in their policies, especially towards violent crimes. PROVEN, crimes against children, especially, should NEVER be given leniency. Many liberals disagree with my position that pedophiles should be the main candidates for the death penalty. They can relax, it's never going to happen in America.

I do believe prevention is key though. If we take action to fix the problems that lead to crime, and education reform is #1 on the list, then we can get results. America needs to take a lesson or two from other developed countries whose policies have worked out well for them.
if i agreed with the death penalty, pedophiles would be very high on my list of candidates for such penalty, if not #1. I think there's a special place in $#!@ for adults who commit crimes against children.

Old 07-01-2013, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorfulchic83 View Post
They weren't excuses. They were giving possible reasons, albeit stupid reasons. I still don't see how it's excusing the behavior.
yeah, even the incredibly stupid comment about it being an affair i don't believe the poster was 'excusing' his behavior. just speculating that the guy knew the house and such. this is a problem - people often mistake speculation and 'reasons' as an excuse. like, maybe george zimmerman felt threatened and truly did 'defend' himself - that's not excusing him (maybe for some people they are excusing him) for taking a human beings life, it's just people trying to get into the mind of george zimmerman and why he did what he did.

Old 07-01-2013, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outofthematrix View Post
Nj guns laws suck,so more of this will be happening sooner than later.....smh cant even protect your own house,crazy
curious - which NJ gun law prevents you from protecting your own house?

Old 07-01-2013, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Doc, this dirtbag should not have been out of jail PERIOD. I agree with your sarcasm. There's been crime going on since the beginning of time so it's kind of short sighted to read on here that we as a society should get to the root of why a scumbag thug robs and assaults innocent victims. Yea he's a criminal and should be delt with harshly, not 3 hots and a cot. How about chained to a wall for 20 years and chucked a few scraps of expired food every other day. Maybe some criminals might change their lives of thievery and get a job like the rest of us.
what were the 12 felonies he was convicted of, and what were the sentences for each?

Old 07-01-2013, 07:41 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,626,350 times
Default why don't you understand the full story before you comment on something

If you don't think that the media is biased to the liberal point of view I have a bridge to sell you. They've been giving Obama a pass for almost 5 years now. PS, I voted for him. Same thing with anything racist. I'm a democrat and it's quite obvious whats going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey