Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 08:42 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,783,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
I guess migration is a part of life. Look at all the folks in the world that are moving. I'm sure a lot of immigrants who come here don't want to leave their country but it just makes sense to live somewhere u can enjoy life and afford necessities and raise children. U have any family around u in ur new city? That helps a lot. My family is dispersed all over and the years are passing by and they don't see eachother much. My goal is to encourage some of them to move back into one area again.
I guess the thing I miss most about NJ is my family. My grandparents immigrated to NJ from Italy probably 90 or more years ago and this is where my family has lived ever since. There is no hope that they will ever leave NJ in my lifetime. They love NJ too and seem to be able to make it financially. Although I miss my family most,there are so many other things that I miss about NJ that are lacking in my new location. I loved where I last lived in NJ and never wanted to leave (Hunterdon County) I lived in other areas of NJ but Hunterdon was definitely home. NJ has so much to offer. Just wish it wasn't so darn expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 06:14 AM

88,562 posts, read 84,755,078 times
I didn't leave New Jersey and probably never will, but I had to leave the part of NJ where I grew up and where my family lived for five or more generations, because Bergen County became unaffordable for me. I have not been in Monmouth County long, but I do like it here. Another sister moved to Middlesex County years ago and is about half an hour from me, so I do have someone not too far, and the rest of the family is only a little more than an hour away. I wouldn't mind exploring parts farther south in Jersey, either, but for now I had to stay near a train line to the city, and two hours is the longest commute I will do. Not really thrilled with that, either, but I am a reader and so that train ride became my reading time.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:26 AM

1,527 posts, read 4,063,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matterofopinion View Post
I was born and raised in NJ in what was probably considered, at the time, an upper-middle class family. We had discretionary income to spend on entertainment, dining, clothing, cars, etc. I loved living in NJ because of what it afforded in terms of intelligence, culture, arts, entertainment, beaches. The "middle-class" seems to be shrinking dramatically, due to so many economic reasons listed on this thread. I'm planning to leave. My thinking is --if the majority of one's income must be spent on housing, taxes, gas, food, commuting, just surviving to live in a certain area...what's left to enjoy? What fun is it staying in and not enjoying the fabulous restaurants in the area, or going to see a great show or concert? It's like being a kid staring into a candy store window. It's becoming too hard to survive in this area unless you make a healthy six-figure income, and even then, a big chunk of that goes to living expenses. It's sad. It's not as though you stay in the area to enjoy the weather.
Good post. I think it is best to have a certain income here or it can be miserable. I think for North Jersey, or at least Bergen County, you need 250K minimum for a family of four.

On the weather, I love the weather here but everyone has different opinions on that

Old 04-11-2011, 07:36 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,385,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann77 View Post
Good post. I think it is best to have a certain income here or it can be miserable. I think for North Jersey, or at least Bergen County, you need 250K minimum for a family of four.
\

I will admit I have been out of the NJ workforce for about eight years and I have no idea how much people make in NJ, but I'm gonna take a wild guess and say that not more than 10% of the people make 250K or more.

If it takes 250K a year to live in North Jersey then I would say that is the number one reason people are leaving NJ.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
I will admit I have been out of the NJ workforce for about eight years and I have no idea how much people make in NJ, but I'm gonna take a wild guess and say that not more than 10% of the people make 250K or more.

If it takes 250K a year to live in North Jersey then I would say that is the number one reason people are leaving NJ.
I think 250K is the amount you need to live a certain kind of life in North Jersey for a family. To be able to live in a town with a good school district and pay the taxes and like your house and be able to keep up with renovations etc. To drive nice enough cars. To take a vacation or two a year. To keep up with the clothes for you and your kids. To go out to eat once in a while. To be able to buy your kid braces and lessons and camp once in while. If both parents work, to be able to afford a high-quality daycare and afterschool care. All of those things that are "middle class."

I say middle class in quotes because I think there are a lot of people who think that the things I mention are for "rich" people, but it's really a middle class existence.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:48 AM
PDD

Quote:
I think 250K is the amount you need to live a certain kind of life in North Jersey for a family. To be able to live in a town with a good school district and pay the taxes and like your house and be able to keep up with renovations etc. To drive nice enough cars. To take a vacation or two a year. To keep up with the clothes for you and your kids. To go out to eat once in a while. To be able to buy your kid braces and lessons and camp once in while. If both parents work, to be able to afford a high-quality daycare and afterschool care. All of those things that are "middle class."

I say middle class in quotes because I think there are a lot of people who think that the things I mention are for "rich" people, but it's really a middle class existence.
How many "middle class" families do you know who are making 250k a year?
Most of the people I know in NJ live in 500-1M houses in great towns and drive nice cars and don't make near 250K a year.Where are you getting your numbers from?

Old 04-11-2011, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
How many "middle class" families do you know who are making 250k a year?
Most of the people I know in NJ live in 500-1M houses in great towns and drive nice cars and don't make near 250K a year.Where are you getting your numbers from?
I don't understand your question. Are you saying your friends etc. live in 500-1M homes and don't make 250 a year? They make more I assume?

Old 04-11-2011, 09:40 AM
PDD

Quote:
I don't understand your question. Are you saying your friends etc. live in 500-1M homes and don't make 250 a year? They make more I assume?
They make less and so did I when I lived in a 600K home in Somerset County in one of the better school districts.

If I was making 250K I would have been banking 100k a year.

Old 04-11-2011, 09:41 AM

7 posts, read 12,915 times
Angry I'll tell you why I might leave

If Christie gets his way with forcing state workers to pay 30% of their healthcare costs , then I will go. As state employees, we make a hell of a lot LESS money than people in the private sector, and we do it for alot of reasons, but one of my main reasons for working in the public sector it to serve the community and work towards making the world (or at least this little piece of it) a better place. For this, I am now going to be punished. My healthcare costs would go from $900/year to $5700. Are you f*cking kidding me?? Christie can KISS MY ASS.

Old 04-11-2011, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorraineinnj View Post
If Christie gets his way with forcing state workers to pay 30% of their healthcare costs , then I will go. As state employees, we make a hell of a lot LESS money than people in the private sector, and we do it for alot of reasons, but one of my main reasons for working in the public sector it to serve the community and work towards making the world (or at least this little piece of it) a better place. For this, I am now going to be punished. My healthcare costs would go from $900/year to $5700. Are you f*cking kidding me?? Christie can KISS MY ASS.
And that sound you hear is the world's smallest violin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey