Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 07:05 PM

291 posts, read 977,164 times

Advertisements

Market Basket is amazing! It is more expensive than a regular grocery store for many things, but the quality of everything can't be beat, and I find that things like fresh bread and cold cuts (they roast a lot of their own with no preservatives or nasty stuff, which I really like) are actually less expensive than at Shop Rite/Stop & Shop.

The Shop Rite in Oakland is good, they are building a new one in Wyckoff right near Boulder Run, but the approval process has dragged on and it's not going to be up and running for awhile.

The Franklin Lakes library is nice and has a bunch of kids programs, and the Wyckoff library (which you can also use, they are linked through the BCCLS) is newly renovated and has an amazing children's wing. When the time comes, there are lots of good programs, sports leagues, etc for kids and several amazing playgrounds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 07:11 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyjersey View Post
Market Basket is amazing! It is more expensive than a regular grocery store for many things, but the quality of everything can't be beat, and I find that things like fresh bread and cold cuts (they roast a lot of their own with no preservatives or nasty stuff, which I really like) are actually less expensive than at Shop Rite/Stop & Shop.

The Shop Rite in Oakland is good, they are building a new one in Wyckoff right near Boulder Run, but the approval process has dragged on and it's not going to be up and running for awhile.

The Franklin Lakes library is nice and has a bunch of kids programs, and the Wyckoff library (which you can also use, they are linked through the BCCLS) is newly renovated and has an amazing children's wing. When the time comes, there are lots of good programs, sports leagues, etc for kids and several amazing playgrounds.
That's true. I'm not in general a cold cuts person, but my mom has bought roast beef freshly sliced from there, and it's SO good.

And good homemade soup in the winter.

I think every graduation, baby/bridal shower, and funeral we've ever had in my family has been catered by Market Basket!

Old 06-28-2013, 10:23 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,461,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
There is one in Oakland, and when I see that ShopRite, I have driven through Franklin Lakes. Don't know if it's the closest, but it's close.

Market Basket is wonderful. They started with a little tiny store in Wyckoff (still there) and did catering for graduations, anniversaries, etc, for years. As the area grew and went upscale, they opened a big store in Franklin Lakes where an old A&P used to be, and their catering business has grown as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
Ju

Bring the Brinks truck! I'd only go there for specialty items on occasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyjersey View Post

For many many years, I used to think the same thing about the Market Basket. But I recently started going there, and while their prices on some items are indeed insane, others are quite reasonable. Their store-made cold cuts are very good quality and reasonably priced, especially when on sale. I also find that many of their bakery items are high quality and decently priced. (Where else in the area can you get a layer cake for $8.99 on sale, or pay $5.39 for a 2 lb. fruit danish ring made with butter?)

Where they are expensive is on their prepared foods. But that's not really a problem, as the Wayne Corrado's about 4 1/2 miles away has plenty of good prepared foods at far more reasonable prices. However, their bakery never dazzled me, so each has their strengths.

And while Shop-Rite has impressed me less and less over the last few years, I can't wait for the Wyckoff Shop-Rite to open if for no other reason than to put the nearby Stop & Plop out of business.

Old 06-29-2013, 07:19 AM

232 posts, read 343,676 times
Franklin Lakes is $$$$$$$$$
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey