Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 01:11 AM

6 posts, read 11,117 times

Advertisements

Hello Folks,
We 3 are moving to NJ soon from India. I ll be working in Paramus, NJ. We have a 6 months old kid. We are looking for not-so-crowded-by-Indians place to live. We want Indian people around, but not like Edison, where every 3rd person is from India. Also, we would like to know the best of medical facilities, schools around. Is it a good decision to live near Paramus or to live at an hour's commute from other parts of NJ(east, west, south)? Your thoughts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 07:25 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,629,141 times
Move as far from the city as possible. More bang for the buck, less traffic and better quality of life. Indian people are all 21 counties and growing. I know happy Indian familys in Byram (north), Robbinsville and West Windsor (central), Voorhees Pemberton Galloway (south). If you want Paramus area, Parsippany is popular for Indians yet not dominated like north Edison. You can't really go wrong in places I've named. Others can answer on school systems.

Old 06-27-2013, 07:26 AM

882 posts, read 1,670,353 times
Parsippany in Morris County has a lot of Indians, but also a lot of Koreans and a lot of white people too. Would be a bit of a hike to Paramus though. Wayne is also a diverse area, though more people from the Middle East than South Asia there. Essex County has an Indian population as well in some of the downs bordering Newark. I don't know a whole lot about Bergen County though.

Old 06-27-2013, 08:05 AM

4 posts, read 12,207 times
Check out Fair Lawn, NJ - a nice Indian population and right by Paramus. You can get a lot for your money there compared to other towns in North Jersey. Also check out Paramus.

Old 06-27-2013, 08:24 AM

248 posts, read 674,334 times
Isn't it ironic that your userID is Bollywood but you don't want to live close to many Indians? haha

To be honest typically their is a direct relationship between the density of Indians in a town and the performance of its school district (can even be stretched to Asians in general). Exceptions being upper middle class neighborhoods..

Old 06-27-2013, 09:11 AM

Thank you so much for your replies!! I will check Parsippany area.

DP1987, ha ha.. you got it! That's the first word came to my mind when I created this user id.. Can't help!
The reason why we dont want to stay in a crowded Indian area is because, we have already lived in Richmond, Virginia for about 3-4 years right in the middle of the Indian population. I have experienced enough! Frequent potlucks, talks about deals So I want to stay close, but not amongst them. We are equally associated and friends with American people. And we love to spend time with them bcoz of the diversity of the culture and experiences and modern approach. Thats why we want both.. Roots (Indians) and Branches (American)..

Old 06-27-2013, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katrinaaltman View Post
Check out Fair Lawn, NJ - a nice Indian population and right by Paramus. You can get a lot for your money there compared to other towns in North Jersey. Also check out Paramus.
When I checked apartments in Fair Lawn on apartments.com, it gave me only couple of options. The close matches are from Hackensack and Maywood.

Old 06-27-2013, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DP1987 View Post
Isn't it ironic that your userID is Bollywood but you don't want to live close to many Indians? haha

To be honest typically their is a direct relationship between the density of Indians in a town and the performance of its school district (can even be stretched to Asians in general). Exceptions being upper middle class neighborhoods..
So what you reckon? Living nearby Middlesex County or areas like New Brunswick, where the education would be of high quality comparatively?

Old 06-27-2013, 09:51 AM

248 posts, read 674,334 times
Depends on which 2 you favor more? Commute or schools or Indians?

Morristown/Parsippany - schools/indians

Middlesex county - schools/commute

Secaucus might work for all three but not sure how much of a 'community' feeling you would get there. Don't really know much about it but have a cousin who lives in one of the townhouses and has 2 kids under the age of 5. Beautiful development across from the Metlife Stadium.

Old 06-27-2013, 10:39 AM

5,772 posts, read 16,584,927 times
I think Parsippany might actually be a shorter commute to Paramus then Middlesex County, yes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey