Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 06:01 PM

1,559 posts, read 2,151,144 times

Advertisements

The only issue is her dogs. It's going to be tough to find a rental in Ridgewood that allows pets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 06:08 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,252,535 times
I just think there are more white, liberal 40 year old single woman in nyack or piermont than in ridge wood and I think the social life would be better. I've taken yoga classes in both those places and it was just my impression but maybe not. I honestly don't know that many single women in ridgewood who don't have children or who are all that liberal for that that matter, ymmv.

Old 07-01-2013, 07:04 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,907,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
I just think there are more white, liberal 40 year old single woman in nyack or piermont than in ridge wood and I think the social life would be better. I've taken yoga classes in both those places and it was just my impression but maybe not. I honestly don't know that many single women in ridgewood who don't have children or who are all that liberal for that that matter, ymmv.
If someone is looking for 40 year old single women or men than consider Hoboken.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:40 PM

3 posts, read 4,368 times
Thank you everyone -- any tricks on finding a home that will allow for two med/large dogs? All listings I see state NO PETS.

Thank you again in advance for the help!

Old 07-17-2013, 09:32 PM

14 posts, read 40,157 times
If you like the idea of Ridgewood, extend your search into Glen Rock, Paramus, Midland Park, Wyckoff, Waldwick, Ho-Ho Kus etc. some of the areas are no more than a few minutes drive into downtown Ridgewood and would give you a much wider search area. Of all these, Ridgewood definitely has the best town center, restaurants, activities etc. $3000 per month is definitely doable, we pay $1895 for 2 bed, 1 bath, living, dining in Ridgewood. Can't comment on pet issue though.

Old 07-18-2013, 02:44 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,518,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAdmrmove View Post
Hello -

I am considering a relocation to Franklin Lakes for work and am looking for suggestions for where to live for this hopeful transplant.

I'm a white, liberal single 40 something woman - no kids but two big, well behaved dogs. Being single, I'd like to be in a safe area but also one area where there are things to do that are not solely family focused. I like diversity vs. a very waspy area (am I asking too much?) I'm not a clubby person, but would like to be close for restaurants, farmers' markets, yoga, areas to meet other people, outdoor activities (walking, gardening, farmers markets, etc.) Access to NYC via public transportation would also be a bonus for the periodic trips into the city. Commuting - if it could be under 30 min it would be preferred.

I would prefer to rent a home (for obvious reasons - the dogs) with 2+/1+ and a fenced yard. I am looking to rent first then potentially buy. Any tips/suggestions you can offer is sincerely appreciated. Feeling slightly overwhelmed about this potential move and housing seems to be my biggest concern (particularly with my pups.) Thank you!
Honestly you should check out Piermont and Nyack as someone else mentioned. Ridgewood is not really diverse. Well it is but not the way you think it is if you can read between the line. Most of the diversity such as an Indian Family is a rich Doctor and his family. The whole town is very family orientated. Its a family town mostly. I also think a town like Englewood or Montclair or Piermont and Nyack NY fit your description much more. These towns are a lot less for the kids. Englewood being more diverse than ridgewood. Montclair,, Nyack being a lot less for the kids and family orientated due to the GLBT community. I find Ridgewood great if you have kids but single no way!!!! All towns mentioned have access to some form of Public transportation to NYC.

Old 07-18-2013, 02:48 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,518,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
I agree!!! Its much more of a single people area!! Ridgewood is mostly families and for the kids due to the great schools. The whole town is run on kids sports, grades and Church! I don't think Ridgewood is even all that liberal. It was a very conservative town at one time.

Let's put it this way. Ridgewood is suburban, I don't get any funky nyc vibe feelings in Ridgewood. Now Nyack and Montclair are suburban/urban vibe and have sections of a gritty nyc vibe w a lot more funk and personality. Nyack is much more artsy and crunchy. It has more of a music scene too and offers more late night things. Its different its not so perfect. They are more liberal and diverse too!!

Last edited by stevemorse; 07-18-2013 at 03:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey