Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 10:21 AM

3 posts, read 4,161 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I was wondering if you ever found your home? I am looking to move my family (wife and 1yr old son) to towns within a 45 min. commute to NYC. I am going to see a few places in Montclair that are in a similar area you were looking (lincoln st/willowdaleave, Nishuane park area as well. I have also looked in Maplewood and South Orange.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by exekia View Post
Hi - this is my first post - but thank you for making this such an informative forum.

I'm a Brooklyn transplant looking to move to Montclair, NJ with my family (incl a 2 year old daughter). I love some of the character of homes in "lower montclair" and the value for the money in the areas south of Bloomfield near the Glen Ridge border. I get through other posts that this is the area to be "avoided". I don't plan on hanging out on Mission St, but have walked down it a number of times during the day and evening and don't really feel concerned.

However, I'd love some advice from folks who know the area. How long has it been this way? Is it improving? Are people buying and renovating in the area - are there more budget-conscious city transplants thinking the way I am? Is the "nice" part of Bloomfield Ave slowly beginning to stretch towards Glen Ridge? Are the Police good at their job? Should you worry much about being alone in larger house near Glenfield park, or are fears people expressing largely overblown and reflective of a fear of the "other"?

My sense, from afar, is that the area is the "less desirable" part of Montclair, but still way better than much of NYC or other parts of Jersey - and the schools are still Magnet and the same. Can't seem to get a handle of whether it is literally isolated to several streets or whether issues bleed into the neighborhood.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 11:46 PM

24 posts, read 47,235 times
Do people who live in the Bay Street Station area generally walk to the shops and restaurants area on Bloomfield Ave/Church St. area? Wondering if it's safe to walk any time of day into the late evening hours? Are there a decent number of people walking on Bloomfield Ave near Bay St station on weekend evenings or it desolate? Contemplating living closer to downtown for the conveniences of nearby restaurants versus near Bay St for the conveniences of the train station.

Old 04-15-2014, 06:29 AM

1,174 posts, read 1,748,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kashkab View Post
Do people who live in the Bay Street Station area generally walk to the shops and restaurants area on Bloomfield Ave/Church St. area? Wondering if it's safe to walk any time of day into the late evening hours? Are there a decent number of people walking on Bloomfield Ave near Bay St station on weekend evenings or it desolate? Contemplating living closer to downtown for the conveniences of nearby restaurants versus near Bay St for the conveniences of the train station.
That area is fine to walk to and from downtown. Great location. Late at night I would exhibit a little more caution as you would anywhere. There are like 3 streets over there to stay away from but as long as your being street smart and not walking down them at like 3am you should be fine. Worst case you could take a quick cab on very late nights.

Old 03-07-2016, 09:21 AM

1 posts, read 1,796 times
It's been a while since this thread has been updated. My husband and I are currently in a similar situation that we are thinking about moving to Montclair and are attracted by the relatively affordable prices of houses near Glenfield Park (Maple Avenue, Woodland Avenue and Willowdale Avenue).

We are wondering if someone could update us on the neighborhood a little. We are wondering if the "notoriety" of this area has gotten better. We have gone to Glenfield Park area to see a couple of houses before. All trips were during the daytime so we didn't notice anything "strange". The township website also says that there are plans to re-develop Elm/New/Mission Street area. We are curious if anyone who lives in the neighborhood could give us more insights.

We have been living in NYC all our lives so we are used to "sketchy neighborhoods" such as Harlem or Lower East Side. But we have always lived in apartment buildings with relatively good security (cameras, doorman) so we don't have much experience dealing with crimes such as break-ins or burglaries.

Any information would be appreciated!

Old 03-09-2016, 10:03 AM

64 posts, read 107,934 times
I'm also looking for recent feedback on the same area as qiumoforever asks about.

Old 03-09-2016, 04:47 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,748,487 times
The area is fine. There are some really nice houses down there. And they move quickly. Went an saw a house on Lincoln a block from Glenfield park. Was only on the market for a few days before going under contract.

Old 07-29-2016, 11:30 AM

1 posts, read 1,536 times
Hi, I just recently moved to an apartment on Woodland Ave in Montclair near Willowsdale Ave. Would anyone say this area is safe? I grew up an hour away from Montclair and am not aware of the area. Every time I have been there during the day it seems fine. I am noticing that older posts are stating it is unsafe, but newer posts seem to say the area is fine. I just want to make sure I didn't rent an apartment that is going to put me in danger. Thank you.

Old 07-29-2016, 02:05 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,226,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonman109 View Post
At least Montclair isn't turning into South Orange or Maplewood. The "Newark Creep" in those areas just keeps on coming and coming and coming. It'll be interesting to see those town in 10 years. Maplewood was way different 10 years ago.
I realize this is an old post (December 2013), but there is no sign of the "Newark Creep" in South Orange and Maplewood. In fact, the areas adjoining Newark and Irvington are looking pretty good these days. But we appreciate your concern!

Old 05-15-2017, 03:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,239 times
Default Mission St. is getting better

Hi Guys

So I know this thread is years old, however I just moved to Mission st and I can offer lots of input on the area. I moved there several months ago, and prior to doing so I read every post on this website that talked about Mission st area. To be honest all your posts made me nervous for what to expect and thought I was moving into a place as crime ridden as Newark. WELL.....Several months in and all I can say is MISSION ST IS NOT AS BAD AS THESE THREADS MAKE IT SEEM in fact...its awesome!. I am a young man in my mid 20's and I work in NYC. The neighborhood is a mix of blacks, whites, Hispanics, and even a couple of middle eastern families. I am a 4min walk from the Bay st station and I can get to NY Penn station in 40mins. DO NOT be deterred by the appearance of some of these houses, they are older houses and just need some TLC(or a paint job). During the day time the street is FILLED with construction vehicles remodeling at least 7 homes on our street, you can tell the area is coming around. Overall there are about 3 sketchy houses at the top of the black(where mission st meats bloomfield) but other then those SEVERAL houses, the rest of the street are hard working familes(most with children), or kids in their mid 20's going to NYC. They just built a brand new high rise apartment at the foot of mission st where it connects to bloomfield ave. This area has all the qualities to be amazing, and I certainly think that in about 5-6 years this area will be a hub for people who want a short walk to beautiful downtown Montclair OR someone who wants a short ride into Midtown Manhattan, but for now, don't believe everything you read. The area has a troubled past with a very very bright future.

Old 05-15-2017, 08:45 PM

239 posts, read 379,514 times
I'm not too familiar with this area so out of curiosity I looked up Mission St on Google Maps and it's literally one block long and is not really a through street. How did such a small and random street gain such notoriety? How would anyone who does not live on the street even know it exists?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey