Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 11:21 AM

3,516 posts, read 7,778,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Years back you actually had to be a Journeyman to get a license now all you have to do is pass the test.
Really? I wasn't aware of that change, used to be you had to have 5 years experience before taking the test. So for $290 I can get my Electricians License? I'll have to look into that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
Depending on the town, they'll drive around and see if there are tell-tale signs of work. So depending on the size/complexity of your renovation, you might want to get the proper permits. A guy down the block didn't, got nailed and had to cough up over $1,000 bucks.
I've only once gotten proper permits, I was selling my house and I needed a vent over the stove by code to get the Certificate of Occupancy. Since an inspector seen it, I decided to get a proper permit to do the work and have it inspected.

It's a real scam by the city, on the permit form they wanted $10 each receptacle, switch or light when your wiring up an entire house, this could get costly quickly. Personally I remodeled my entire bathroom, added recessed lighting to the kitchen, installed basement lights and outlets, and added new circuits to the electrical panel without getting a single permit. Everything was done to code, but no permits and no inspections. I even replaced all the windows in the house and added a connection to the natural gas line for a new gas dryer without permits or inspections.

Last edited by TechGromit; 07-05-2013 at 11:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2013, 12:23 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,982,569 times
Years ago, a neighbor of mine tried to save some money by having his septic redone on a weekend without a permit. In NJ. Town found out. He not only got fined, they made him dig it up, get a permit, and do it over!

Old 07-05-2013, 02:19 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,379,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
Really? I wasn't aware of that change, used to be you had to have 5 years experience before taking the test. So for $290 I can get my Electricians License? I'll have to look into that.
As long as you can get somebody to swear you were an electrical helper for five years and you take a testing course why bother to go through 5 years of night school and 5 years apprenticeship of on the job training to be a Journeyman.
Lot's of smart ass guys got their license without proper training, you could be one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey