Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2013, 05:28 AM

47 posts, read 79,126 times

Advertisements

We are considering leaving the Paulus Hook area.
The things I love about the area:
Quiet
Safe
Easy access to transit and restaurants
Walking the marina
Amenities in our building, pool, fitness, parking
Friendly people

Things I dislike:
Lack of open green space
Cost of living
Rudeness of people in the surrounding areas
Lack of customer service and crowdedness in chain stores, grocery & department stores
If you eat or shop outside of the Paulus Hook area the vibe completely changes.

Where are you coming from? Originally GA, but have been living in Paulus Hook since October.

Why are you moving? Looking for cheaper rent and more green space

Where will you be working ? My husband will be working Newport

Will you buy or rent? Rent
What is your budget ? $2500
What kind of place are you looking for ?

Looking at 2 options
1) rent a small studio in JC and a condo at the shore
Has anyone done the ferry commute from Belford to Paulus Hook?

Or

2) a 2 bedroom in a city less than 35 min train ride

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ? Spouse and small poodle mutt

Do you need/want good public schools? No

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in
(examples: families with young children, young, mature, artsy, diverse, safe, close-knit, block parties, etc)
safe, block parties(miss this), professionals(not college frat parties), easy access to shopping, a walkable downtown area with festivals, shops, restaurants, bike paths and jogging trails, friendly people, quiet

List three things that are important to you in order of importance.(examples: nightlife, outdoor activities, rural/urban, safety, downtown area, charming, new construction, proximity to XYZ, family oriented, easy parking, short commute, etc)
Safety, short commute, green space, friendly people

Areas we like but too long of a commute
Ridgewood
Summit
Manasquan

We do like Hoboken
We like the green space on the waterfront,
affordable restaurant and shopping options, easy commute
We dislike the flooding, traffic, and rental prices

Areas I am curious about
Wood Ridge
Rutherford
Glen Rock

I realize this maybe a "pie in the sky" request, but if there is a hidden gem, please share.

Y'all shared the hidden gem of Paulus Hook. Granted our budget back then was $3500, but I thought I would try again.

Thanks in advance for your help

Last edited by Familyrules; 07-09-2013 at 06:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 08:28 AM

1,947 posts, read 3,322,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyrules View Post
Quiet
Safe
Walking the marina
Friendly people

Things I dislike:
Lack of open green space
Cost of living
Lack of customer service and crowdedness in chain stores, grocery & department stores

Where are you coming from? Originally GA, but have been living in Paulus Hook since October.

Looking at 2 options

Or

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ? Spouse and small poodle mutt

(examples: families with young children, young, mature, artsy, diverse, safe, close-knit, block parties, etc)
safe, block parties(miss this), professionals(not college frat parties), easy access to shopping, a walkable downtown area with festivals, shops, restaurants, bike paths and jogging trails, friendly people, quiet

List three things that are important to you in order of importance.(examples: nightlife, outdoor activities, rural/urban, safety, downtown area, charming, new construction, proximity to XYZ, family oriented, easy parking, short commute, etc)

Ridgewood
Summit
Manasquan

We do like Hoboken

Areas I am curious about
Wood Ridge
Rutherford
Glen Rock

I realize this maybe a "pie in the sky" request, but if there is a hidden gem, please share.

Y'all shared the hidden gem of Paulus Hook. Granted our budget back then was $3500, but I thought I would try again.

1) Check out Montclair.

2) Glen Rock is no better of a commute than Ridgewood to Newport and has virtually no downtown.

3) Rutherford is great, not sure about the commute. Can probably take train to Hoboken and then take the Lightrail to Newport.

4) Can't see how the city would be better for you than Paulus Hook. More dense, more rude, more expensive.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:48 AM

47 posts, read 79,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiLIFE View Post
1) Check out Montclair.

2) Glen Rock is no better of a commute than Ridgewood to Newport and has virtually no downtown.

3) Rutherford is great, not sure about the commute. Can probably take train to Hoboken and then take the Lightrail to Newport.

4) Can't see how the city would be better for you than Paulus Hook. More dense, more rude, more expensive.
Thanks MiamiLIFE, you are always great to reply.
#4 is spot on. I have no desire to live in Manhattan. I am still learning that up here, if you say city, it means Manhattan. Back home city would be the same as I guess town, Summit, Ridgewood, Glen Rock, ect....

You are also correct about the commute. I was trying to pick towns that had short train rides to Hoboken. He could easily walk or take the light rail from there. Most towns stop or change trains in Seacucas or Newark. Do you have any more info about Rutherford or specific areas of Rutherford?

Also, just curious about your username. Did you live in Miami? We were just in Palm Beach Shores. Love south Florida. As far as that goes, I love any beach in Florida.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:09 PM

6 posts, read 14,966 times
I agree with Montclair. That was the first place that popped into my head. Another town we like is Maplewood. Cute downtown area. Not as big as Montclair but big enough with some cute shops and restaurants. Train in town to NYC. I think you'll find more rentals in Montclair though.

We used to live in JC near Grove St PATH and loved it. But had a baby and left also seeking green space! We also really miss walking all along the water in JC. *sigh*

Old 07-11-2013, 02:52 PM

1,947 posts, read 3,322,492 times
Quote:
Thanks MiamiLIFE, you are always great to reply.
#4 is spot on. I have no desire to live in Manhattan. I am still learning that up here, if you say city, it means Manhattan. Back home city would be the same as I guess town, Summit, Ridgewood, Glen Rock, ect....

You are also correct about the commute. I was trying to pick towns that had short train rides to Hoboken. He could easily walk or take the light rail from there. Most towns stop or change trains in Seacucas or Newark. Do you have any more info about Rutherford or specific areas of Rutherford?

Also, just curious about your username. Did you live in Miami? We were just in Palm Beach Shores. Love south Florida. As far as that goes, I love any beach in Florida.
Downtown Rutherford is nice, walkable, some decent restaurants and a train station. It checks a lot of your boxes.

I do a lot of business in south Flordia. I have fallen in love with south FL over the past 10 years. It's not for everyone, but I have learned to appreciate it, warts and all.

Old 08-03-2013, 12:38 PM

1 posts, read 3,692 times
We are moving to Paulus Hook in Sept.. Empty nesters from Chatham.. Sold the big house.
If you want to move..look at two rental communities.. River Edge, Florham Park.. On border of Chatham..also Sun Valley, Florham Park.. They run shuttles to Chatham train which is 35 mins to Hoboken station. apartments rent for your price range..$2500.. Alot of green space.
And the beach , Belmar is 45 mins away.

Yes..New Yorkers can be rude but not really.. We are friendly but only after you pass the first level..otherwise we all go about our own business.and may seem rude to a Southerner. .but if you need help and a NYorker is there in a flash.

We are excited about Paulus Hook. Isn't there green space at Lberty State Park?? The walkways along Hudson are world class.. The streets of P Hok are quiet, nice. Near to Hoboken and the city...
We are used to Ci living as we lived in Manhattan for 20 years in our youth.. Back closer.. Cant wait!

Old 08-03-2013, 08:29 PM

166 posts, read 326,573 times
You are describing Montclair. Head over to Bloomfield Avenue and walk down Church Street and South Park Street. There are like 4 downtown in Montclair, tons of parks, tons of families, tons of parks and its artsy. It's annoyingly liberal but that might be your thing. I think there are like 5 train stations so you can live in a suburban house and still walk to a train station if you are within a few blocks of one. Trains go to New York or Hoboken without a transfer. i think they alternate.

Montclair goes up a gradual slope. A little steeper than park slope so you are up high and can see the city from a lot of different areas which is pretty cool.

Old 08-03-2013, 08:43 PM

696 posts, read 906,647 times
Quote:
Quiet
Safe
Walking the marina
Friendly people

Things I dislike:
Lack of open green space
Cost of living

Looking at 2 options

Or

Ridgewood
Summit
Manasquan

We do like Hoboken

Areas I am curious about
Wood Ridge
Rutherford
Glen Rock

Rutherford is a bit closer to Hoboken (NJ Transit rail -> Hoboken (app. 30 minutes) with 1 stop on the light rail) than Montclair (train to Hoboken is 45 minutes with the same light rail connection) but Montclair's downtown is more like that of JC or Hoboken (Ruhterford's downtown is pretty good as well). I would visit both towns as each has its fans as well as detractors. There is a website geared towards Montclair Baristanet*|*Your Local, Homegrown Online Community Since 2004 – Covering Montclair, Bloomfield, Glen Ridge, West & South Orange, Maplewood, Millburn you should visit. Good Luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey