U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 05:19 PM

50 posts, read 88,979 times

Advertisements

I have received a great job offer with a hospital in Manhattan. All the interviews have been done over the phone or video, and I plan to make my first trip to NY area to find a place to live. I am not afraid of a culture shock because I have lived in a large Eurpean city before I moved to a small Texas town 10 years ago. That was a shock, but I have adjusted well. I am a little scared moving across the country with the whole family, but I can not pass on this great opportunity.
All of my searches for relocation possibilities have been done on this forum. I know I won't be able to afford a rental in Manhattan with my $110,000 income. Husband will find a new job sometime after we move to help with the income. My criteria for finding a rental place to live:
1. Good public schools (kids are 6 and 11)
2. Easy commute to Manhattan GCS (up to 60 minutes on a train)
3. Walkable town with parks (for taking a walk with kids)
4. Diverse (I am in a biracial marriage)
5. Small town feel
6. Dog friendly (we have 2)
7. At least 2 bedrooms on my income

After reading many, many posts on this forum I found some towns that I want to look into: Hastings & Mamaroneck in NY, or Montclair and Madison in NJ.

I would appreciate any helpful suggestions and comments. Am I wrong with these areas? Any others I need to look into?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 09:53 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,289,396 times
One thing you should note about trains from NJ into NYC is that they go to NY Penn Station, not GCS.

Now as to your list, it is a good start, but I'd recommend adding a few towns. While Madison is a wonderful option, since it is a small town you should also include neighboring towns such as Morristown and the Chathams. I'd also add Westfield and Cranford as possibilities.

Montclair is nice but be sure to avoid the seedy sections of town. There are some areas that have an issue with crime and drugs. (I'd avoid the area around Lackawanna Plaza, Glenfield Park and the Pathmark which is a bit sketchy and has drug trafficking issues. Lots of car break-ins and drugs/gang activity and the associated crime that brings. While it may look a bit seedy but "ok" in the light of day, you def. do not want to be in the area after dark)

A lot also depends on what type of work your husband will be looking for, I assume you'll want at least on of you parents to work close to home to be available should the need arise. (ill child, school closing due to weather, etc.)

HTH
KoalaNJ

Old 07-12-2013, 11:59 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,289,396 times
OOPS forgot to add Summit as a suggestion for your short list. It's another great town that fits all of your criteria. An added bonus is that Summit is a main transfer station for NJ transit, so you'll have plenty of access to trains into and out of the city.

KoalaNJ

Old 07-13-2013, 07:16 AM

3,984 posts, read 6,788,631 times
Montclair or Rutherford.

Old 07-13-2013, 11:59 AM

That is very helpful. Thank you.

Old 07-14-2013, 01:55 PM

16,053 posts, read 25,530,035 times
If you are looking for diverse, try Maplewood/South Orange. Great commute, good schools. Montclair I would put a step above, diverse with great schools.

I am making the reverse move, out to Texas!

Old 07-14-2013, 02:38 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,683,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Just hope you don't find yourself in need of women's healthcare there.

Old 07-15-2013, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
If you are looking for diverse, try Maplewood/South Orange. Great commute, good schools. Montclair I would put a step above, diverse with great schools.

Let me know if you need any advise on Texas. Thank you for those suggestions on NJ.

Old 07-15-2013, 03:10 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,574,904 times
What is your estimate for rental budget?

Old 07-16-2013, 09:51 AM

I think $2500/month would be realistic on my salary. My husband would probably stay home with the kids until we get more comfortable in the new enviroment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey