Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 06:51 PM

5 posts, read 17,092 times

Advertisements

Hi

I need to commute to Hoboken for work and it is getting pretty tiring from where I live now. I am thinking about moving either to Westfield NJ or Millburn NJ. Both look pretty expensive, but I would like to know what the REAL commute time is. mapquest says 32 minutes from Millburn and 36 minutes from Westfield. But in reality what is the travel time (by car) during peak traffic both ways?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 10:41 PM

385 posts, read 1,175,620 times
you could take trains from these towns, or you'll have much traffic. njt goes direct from millburn to hoboken, and i think there is one direct train to hoboken from westfield, the rest require path or some njcl trains.

Old 07-13-2013, 03:51 PM

Hmm, it's just that the rail passes run 233 per month, which is a bit steep, considering two of us have to commute. So, if I leave at around 9:00 am would the traffic be better? Do the grocery stores and things have long lines during the weekends and such? Crawling traffic on roads? Also the houses seem to be very old, how much would it take for annual maintenance on these properties?

Old 07-13-2013, 05:09 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,453,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredofcommute View Post
Hi

I need to commute to Hoboken for work and it is getting pretty tiring from where I live now. I am thinking about moving either to Westfield NJ or Millburn NJ. Both look pretty expensive, but I would like to know what the REAL commute time is. mapquest says 32 minutes from Millburn and 36 minutes from Westfield. But in reality what is the travel time (by car) during peak traffic both ways?

Thanks
As a general rule of thumb when seeking realistic/actual commute times in Northern NJ, take the time given by googlemaps/mapquest, etc double it, and add 10%. (meaning the commute from Millburn during rush will be an hour to hour ten min.) If you are flexible and can avoid peak travel times your trip will take less time. Keep in mind that once the work on the Pulaski Skyway begins, your commute will likely be significantly longer. The work is scheduled to begin soon (right after the 2014 superbowl) and will last for around 2 years. Well at least that is what it is scheduled for, we all know these projected time tables can easily and quickly go out the window. During construction you really should consider using the train and not driving, unless of course you have a sizable masochistic streak you need to feed.

Yes, the stores tend to be crowded on weekends, after all you are not the only people that work and commute during the day and therefore run all your errands on the weekends. I avoid the hassle of the crowds by running errands on weeknights, including grocery shopping on Monday or Tuesday eves - the stores are pretty empty/quiet then. Just do not purchase your fresh fish on Mondays.

KoalaNJ

Old 07-13-2013, 06:55 PM

Yeah, that's another nightmare we have to brace for. Are they even considering some concessions on trains or running more trains or anything at all during that period?

Old 07-14-2013, 05:39 AM

So I have a couple more questions:

1. What is considered morning peak hour window in these areas?
2. I read on the Millburn township web page that there is a parking fee that residents need to pay? Does this mean that there is no parking spot available in the stores and such like? What exactly are these permits for? Or is it for homes that have only on car garage and you need to park the second car?
3. Should I choose to train in to Hoboken, how easy is it to park at the train station? Is there wait list to get on the parking lot? How long is that wait list?

Thanks

Old 07-14-2013, 12:57 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,743,916 times
Generally when you live in Millburn you can walk to the train station from many house.

Try a local website maplewoodonline.com it is a nearby town that can answer many of your questions.

Old 07-14-2013, 01:12 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,208,157 times
If you're worried about a $233 rail pass, you're probably not moving to Millburn or Westfield anyway.

Old 07-15-2013, 04:36 PM

116 posts, read 219,004 times
There will be plenty of parking in Millburn when the parking deck is completed (shortly).

There is generally valet parking spaces till 8 and 1-2 spaces at the daily parking spaces (non valet, I think around $5/day).

The drive to Hoboken will take forever before 10am. I would avoid driving it at all costs (plus with the upcoming construction).

There are no fees (except meters) for parking in town.

I have never seen a crush of people at Shop Rite on the weekends except for Thanksgiving/Christmas.

If you buy a 90+ year old house, be prepared for ongoing maintenance issues.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:09 PM

239 posts, read 379,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
If you're worried about a $233 rail pass, you're probably not moving to Millburn or Westfield anyway.
Not to be a snob, but there is some truth to this. Also, you wouldn't necessarily even save much money when taking into account gas, tolls and parking (which is expensive and not convenient) in Hoboken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey