Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2013, 04:43 AM

1 posts, read 2,649 times

Advertisements

Dear local people,
Can you inform me about differences in commuting times to Manhattan, from these Essex cities? I am specially interested in transit and not driving. I've read that partial driving is not a real option because of parking problems. Or do you have good Park and Ride ideas? Thank you all
K
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2013, 08:38 AM

15,053 posts, read 10,045,925 times
I find it far easier to commute to Manhattan via train. IMO, the traffic situation along the NYC bound routes (and parking in NYC) are far worse than dealing with the parking issue at the train stations. You also factor in wear and tear, gas, tolls, and risk (accidents etc) into the equation.

But as always, YMMV given your location route and destination.

In my case, I was commuting from the end of the morris-essex line into NYC penn station and walking a few blocks to work. Door to door was about under 2 hours (depending). I personally would rather do 2 hours by train than 1 hour by car in NYC bound traffic. You relax, you nap, relax, have your breakfast, do some work...etc... it may be longer but it is was an easier commute. I had a parking pass or would simply catch a ride with my neighbor headed in the direction of the train station. Other's use the local bus companies... but they are subject to traffic. I don't have experience with them as my job at the time was close to Penn station.

Old 07-14-2013, 12:52 PM

16,061 posts, read 26,694,582 times
Definitely Maplewood/SO would be a quicker commute. They are on the Midtown Direct Line. Depending on where you work in the city it is about an average door to door. Personally I love the area, lived there for ten years. Great neighbors, a lot to do, and beautiful houses.

Livingston you can take a jitney to the train or a bus. The bus commute from what I hear of friends is horrid, never a good story.

Old 07-14-2013, 01:09 PM

10,221 posts, read 19,156,449 times
The #77 bus wasn't terrible (except Friday evenings) a couple of years ago but it sounds like it is now.

Driving to transit is an option from parts of Livingston and South Orange (the parts nearer I-280), you can drive to Harrison PATH station which has quite a few lots. It can be a tough ride during the rush but if you keep irregular hours it has the advantage of frequent service. Maplewood and South Orange have jitneys to their respective train stations; check the towns' web sites for routes and cost. Livingston has the park-and-ride jitney to South Orange.

The Orange train station has daily parking; sometimes it fills up early and sometimes it never fills up at all, there seems to be no rhyme or reason. South Orange has daily parking too but I think if you're not taking the first train of the day it's usually full.

Old 07-14-2013, 02:21 PM

385 posts, read 1,172,987 times
77 bus from livingston has a horrible reputation. the commute from south orange/maplewood is fine, they both have train stations with direct nyc service and jitneys to the stations. the 107 express bus goes from south orange down irvington avenue, making a stop in maplewood to port authority. there are other buses as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey