Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 05:25 PM

1,787 posts, read 5,726,241 times

Advertisements

I had a vehicle in front of me that had a hard time staying in the lines and when I passed, I saw the driver was holding his phone below the top of the steering wheel and texting.

Do you think you'll never get into an accident, because you are a pro at texting while driving?

I'm not for more laws, but what would it take to stop people from texting while driving? It's not safe...stop it. Bigger fines don't work; I would take your vehicle away for 30 days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 05:40 PM

3,377 posts, read 14,573,050 times
I think New York law is 5 now points for texting and driving + license suspension for drivers under 21 . Don't know if stiffer fines dissuade people from doing it. I can say this. I drive a pickup truck so I have a pretty good view of what's going on inside other cars and I'm amazed at how many people are actually using their phones while driving. It's not just young people, but those of all ages. What gets me is that I observe most people wearing their seat belts, so they are either aware of the law or just can't stand the annoying seat belt reminder most cars have.

Old 07-15-2013, 05:40 PM

908 posts, read 1,547,683 times
Points maybe? I don't know, but I wish they'd stop, too. It is reckless, and very dangerous. Many have died because of it. It's everywhere. I have to watch out for other drivers texting, here in Pa, too. It's not only when I'm on the road. I get so scared when my kids ride their bikes because idiots like to text & drive. I don't want to be the next mother on a commercial whose child was paralyzed from a texting driver. Technology has made people stupid, and selfish.

Old 07-15-2013, 05:44 PM

908 posts, read 1,547,683 times
According to the National Highway Safety Administration:

Texting while driving is 23 times more likely to cause an accident than having an intoxicated driver behind the wheel.

Texting while driving is ranked as the most dangerous distraction.

The drivers steering capability decreases by 91% when texting while driving.

According to the government website, 3,092 people were killed due to distracted driving in 2010.

People under 20 years of age are more likely to cause an accident due to texting and driving.

Young adolescents obtain 16% of distracted crashes.

Sending or reading a text message takes on average of about 4.6 seconds.

Taking your eyes off the road for 4.6 seconds is similar to driving the length of a football field blind at 55 mph.

Texting and driving is a manual, visual, and cognitive distraction.

Quick Facts About Texting and Driving « Wznd

Old 07-15-2013, 05:45 PM

19,037 posts, read 25,112,413 times
I have also had close calls with morons who were texting while driving, and--unfortunately--I think that the only thing that might change these behaviors is a serious accident.

Old 07-15-2013, 05:46 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,295,665 times
People will never stop texting, drinking, tailgating, excessive speeding because car crashes only happen to "other people".

Old 07-15-2013, 05:48 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,672,544 times
I can't even check my voicemail (simply entering 4 numbers) without swerving a little or taking my eyes off the road so I don't even check my messages until I'm stopped, never mind texting. I have NO idea how people who text and drive are not in giant metal piles along the highway. I see people doing it all the time too and it drives me crazy.

Something I thought was interesting was when I was with a friend a few weeks ago I was putting in an address in my Waze navigation app and it said "it is illegal to type and drive, please pull over to continue" and I had to hit a button stating I was the passenger. While people could still bypass that by clicking on "passenger" I thought it was at least a step in the right direction.

Old 07-15-2013, 06:49 PM

50,115 posts, read 35,754,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoYanks34 View Post
I can't even check my voicemail (simply entering 4 numbers) without swerving a little or taking my eyes off the road so I don't even check my messages until I'm stopped, never mind texting. I have NO idea how people who text and drive are not in giant metal piles along the highway. I see people doing it all the time too and it drives me crazy.

Something I thought was interesting was when I was with a friend a few weeks ago I was putting in an address in my Waze navigation app and it said "it is illegal to type and drive, please pull over to continue" and I had to hit a button stating I was the passenger. While people could still bypass that by clicking on "passenger" I thought it was at least a step in the right direction.
That's a good idea! There are also apps you can get and put on your kid's cell phones, that prevent the phone from sending or receiving text messages while the car is in motion. The texter gets a message "Sally is driving right now and can't read texts" or something. If I had a teen who started driving, I would definitely put it on their phone. Even kids with otherwise good judgement are often too tempted to look when they get a text. If I were 17 and was waiting for some boy I liked to ask me out, I would probably have looked too so IMO the best way to stop it is preventing them from being able to do it in the first place.

I think it's like a lot of things, in that after you do it a few times and nothing happens, it's human nature to lose your fear of it and come to believe you are capable of doing it safely.

Old 07-15-2013, 06:53 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,763,166 times
It is really getting bad out there. I don't know what the answer is but gosh why can't people just pay attention when driving.

Old 07-15-2013, 06:55 PM

4,284 posts, read 10,719,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoYanks34 View Post

Technology will eventually solve the texting while driving problem.

Until then, people will always do it because the temptation is too much for a lot of people. especially when stopped at a traffic light. Draconian fines/penalties wont do much about anything and would be more harm then they are worth

Last edited by GiantRutgersfan; 07-15-2013 at 07:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey