Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 09:55 AM

161 posts, read 761,701 times

Advertisements

My family is moving in a few weeks and we have furniture, clothes, household items, etc that we would like to donate. Does anyone have a recommendation of a donation service that would come out to the house to pick up items in the Middlesex County area?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2007, 10:19 AM

685 posts, read 112,348 times
HI! Not to sure about the furnture, but here is a number for a New jersey charity Organization...1-866-627-4261- call and they will pickup your bagged items. (Clothing, shoes, stuffed animals, linens, handbags etc.) Churches work together and serve people in need

Old 11-09-2007, 10:40 AM

Hi again! These other 2 sites might be able to remove unwanted furniture...

DONATE FURNITURE NJ

WhereToDonate.org - New Jersey

Old 11-09-2007, 11:58 AM

1,507 posts, read 5,906,566 times
Question Further questions

How about gently used & well preserved baby & toddler clothes?

I would like to find an organization in NJ - Central/South which would take my baby & toddler clothes and give them directly to Mom's in need.
I'm hesitant with the school clothing drive. They tell you that it won't be shredded but the company that they sell it to will indeed shred.
I've heard sooooo much about "shredding by the pound" It would be such a waste to hand over these clothes to be shredded.

Any suggestions for Central / South NJ ? Church groups? Womens shelters?

Old 11-09-2007, 12:10 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,049,310 times
You might want to call Womanspace (609) 394-0136, they shelter women and children who are in abusive situations.
Also Home Front (609) 989-9417 takes furniture and clothing for needy folks. Home Front will also pick up.

Old 11-09-2007, 12:43 PM

1,363 posts, read 5,926,686 times
The St. Vincent DePaul Society of your local Catholic Church would likely pick up what you have as well. If you call the church, they can put you into contact with the group's contact person.

Old 11-09-2007, 01:21 PM

119 posts, read 240,268 times
Freecycles contains thousands of local groups of homeless and poor people through out the country is the place where one can turn unused items into "valuable must have and eagerly waiting but can not afforded items"

Catholic Charities at Edison told me that they only accept donation of NEW clothes, besides, they have storage issue, they do not have budget to build more storages. So, when I donated, I just went to Childware nearby to buy hundreds of new clothes to donate. After September, all the summer clothes are on sale, $1 or $2 a piece, and I just got whole block for $100 from manager, about 25 cents per piece.

Besides, when you donate new clothes to them, the would NOT just give to homeless families came to their shelter, they "make them BUY with their internal money". How to make internal money, you have to work for them. Don't think the shelter is free, each person is $50 a night, and whether they accept you as homeless depends on if YOU HAVE SPONSOR. That is to say, if county welfare willing to pay for your stay, say, if you become homeless one day, then they accept you, otherwise, even if there is long line and vacant rooms, you can not move in.

It is more like a motel. So, if you were sent in by police department, say, domestic violence, ...etc, then they will take since they are sure to have sponsor, someone will pay for them.

But, think about it, if all your items can be obtained by homeless, poor people in your area, they can save money to pay for their rent, and it would less likely for them to be evicted by landlord's lawyer and become homeless.

Also, if there are more people like you willing to help your peer homeless, poor, or ex homeless families with your unwanted items, the imports of the country will be reduced and the trade deficit will drop.

Freecycles has helped many many homeless and ex homeless families to obtain desperated needed items. e.g. Patti McKenzie at Williamsburg VA used to host 19 homeless people in her home, and later form a ministry, ever since she found out this Freecycles, she was able to get many unwanted items for all homeless families, and later she introduce all who need items but can not afford to there.

You can think of it is like a FREE eBay, not only the service is FREE, the unwanted items is "given" FREE. It is very cost effective, and as you can guess from above example, hundreds of thousands of charities or sheltors also using it for their clients to obtain FREE unwanted items they desperatedly need. So, you are guaranteed there is NO waste.

And, you help homeless shelters like Catholic Charities too to save storage cost and deliver cost. You also help taxpayer because, for example, each homeless family cost $31,000 average to New York City government to eventually move off homelessnes after 11 months.

Therefore, a cost effective distribution channel to pass the unwanted items to deperated needed people would not only give the giver no cost satisfaction but give the taker warm feeling and hope of the world.

For those of you who all have good warm hearts, you may help your preferred charities or poor friends and relatives to obtain free unwanted items at Freecycles as well.

Last edited by ching1698; 11-09-2007 at 01:33 PM..

Old 11-09-2007, 01:41 PM

687 posts, read 3,251,011 times
Quote:
Freecycles contains thousands of local groups of homeless and poor people through out the country is the place where one can turn unused items into "valuable must have and eagerly waiting but can not afforded items"
Freecycle is a fine way to get rid of stuff, I've been posting stuff myself, but there is no way to guarantee need. Mostly, people just ask for stuff or say they can use it in their emails. I've also had a couple people "stand me up" and not come get the items they claimed, so Freecycle isn't necessarily the best way to go if you absolutely have to get rid of stuff now.

Last winter the Salvation Army came to take some stuff away, but they were pretty picky as to what they would take. I had four wood chairs they wouldn't take because I wasn't also giving them a table.

Old 11-09-2007, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHomeHappy View Post
How about gently used & well preserved baby & toddler clothes?

I would like to find an organization in NJ - Central/South which would take my baby & toddler clothes and give them directly to Mom's in need.
I'm hesitant with the school clothing drive. They tell you that it won't be shredded but the company that they sell it to will indeed shred.
I've heard sooooo much about "shredding by the pound" It would be such a waste to hand over these clothes to be shredded.

Any suggestions for Central / South NJ ? Church groups? Womens shelters?
HI AGAIN! Try 'House of Blessing' Organization...1-866-627-4261- call and they will pickup your bagged items. (Clothing, shoes, stuffed animals, linens, handbags etc.) They help people in need. Check out this site and video...

Calvary Lighthouse Church, Lakewood NJ

"During the 2006 Thanksgiving and Christmas seasons, the House of Blessing provided clothing and food to over 800 families in the region! We are proud to be one of the largest ministries of this kind in Ocean County"

Old 11-09-2007, 05:33 PM

Check this Site out...You can donate used and EXPIRED gift cards and donate your old Cell Phones,ink cartridges and more...

Chemo Angels Cancer Support Organization
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey