Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

New Jersey: court appointed attorney,

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 03:56 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,775,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emanon View Post
That is a good idea because NJ has not executed anybody in years and there are many on death row wasting the taxpayers money on appeals by court appointed attorneys.

If you send them to prison for life without any chance of parole we don't have to waste any more money on court appointed attorneys, I am sure that cost us more than the food and lodging we pay for.

Now if you gonna sentence somebody to death and in a day or two they are in the grave, that is a different story.

I am not against the death penalty, I am against the death penalty that does not get carried out.

E

I agree. It costs more in tax payers money if someone is sentenced to the death penalty in states like NJ. In TX, they don't fool around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2007, 04:00 PM

3,377 posts, read 14,626,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrown View Post
Naw..the death penalty rebate funds are already earmarked for the stem cell research facility that we voted on Tuesday.
I knew it was too good to be true!

Old 11-09-2007, 07:29 PM

11,343 posts, read 16,699,701 times
The NJ law at present is a joke.

We haven't used it since 1963. So why bother to repeal it.

Old 11-09-2007, 08:46 PM

1,697 posts, read 3,481,273 times
One of the things I miss about NJ is that when it comes to social issues, they might "get it" late, but they usually do get it.

Civilized nations don't use the death penalty, and that we still do is a crime in itself (though we are now a nation that tortures, so that tells you where our collective moral compass is heading, but anyway...). It is not, never was, and never will be an effective deterrent. It exists to do nothing except satisfy the masses' blood lust, and makes them feel as if something is being done about crime. It's nothing but a big eye-for-an-eye dog and pony show. And, yes, as NJ carries out the policy, it's also hemorraging money, which is the last thing the state's taxpayers need.

Old 11-09-2007, 09:06 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,624,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb919 View Post
One of the things I miss about NJ is that when it comes to social issues, they might "get it" late, but they usually do get it.

Civilized nations don't use the death penalty, and that we still do is a crime in itself (though we are now a nation that tortures, so that tells you where our collective moral compass is heading, but anyway...). It is not, never was, and never will be an effective deterrent. It exists to do nothing except satisfy the masses' blood lust, and makes them feel as if something is being done about crime. It's nothing but a big eye-for-an-eye dog and pony show. And, yes, as NJ carries out the policy, it's also hemorraging money, which is the last thing the state's taxpayers need.
I guess, according to you we are uncivilized. And it is a deterrent because each one you execute one less that could kill innocents again. As for torturing the terrorist scum, go pull out bodies from the World Trade Center Site like I did for 3 or 4 weeks and maybe you'll change your mind. Oh you live in Arizona so I guess you don't worry about terrorists daily like I do.

Old 11-09-2007, 09:17 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,929,926 times
Terrorism is everyone's issue and a death penalty has nothing to do with 9/11.
Do you actually think lethal injection would have been a deterrent when someone has no problem with suiciding themselves into the side of a building at thousands of miles an hour?

Old 11-10-2007, 03:48 AM

9,322 posts, read 16,661,006 times
If the person is tried, convicted, and sentenced to death, there should be a 1 year max wait to give them the snooze juice, otherwise, it's another waste of money.

I understand where there are special cases waiting for DNA evidence, but individuals such as gang members, child molesters, and rapists need to get an EZ Pass to the front of the line. We have no need to keep this trash alive for a minute longer than need be.[/quote]

Amen! The prisoners have more amenities and rights than we do, but we get to pay for them!

Old 11-10-2007, 03:50 AM

9,322 posts, read 16,661,006 times
I think we should send the prisoners over to Iraq and they can look for IED's. If they do a good job, they can go free after 5 years of service.

Old 11-10-2007, 04:45 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,934,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb919 View Post

I bet you wouldn't feel so smug and superior if you had a 4 year old daughter who was snatched off the street, kept in a car and assaulted for days and then murdered. Or an 11 year old who never made it home from a friend's house because she was abducted and raped and buried alive. Who cares if the death penalty is a deterrent? Don't you think maybe the parent's of those kids might want the perpetrators to die? Maybe one day you will learn some compassion and obtain the ability view the world as victims see it, not just from your limited perspective.

Old 11-10-2007, 07:27 AM

1,453 posts, read 4,929,926 times
Because you are against it, you have no compassion. Give me a break.

Many people around the world do not support it. I personally don't think death is the worst thing- not by lethal injection for sure.
I just don't have blind faith in the judical system and never will.

Looking at the world from the perspective of a victim? That is actually a huge problem today.

The victim mentality is poisoning our country.

I'm can't say I'm against it but the simpleton view is just a waste of time.

And yes, we spend way too much money on the appeals process for people on death row.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey