U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 01:02 PM

1,247 posts, read 2,857,182 times

Advertisements

I'm sure the other towns have townhouse complexes that are a similar demographic to Renaissance. This whole area has a noticeable South Asian presence. The only upper middle class town in this area that is less than 20% Asian is Monroe and that is likely because over half of it is geriatric.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2013, 02:08 PM

1,041 posts, read 2,869,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessnewlife View Post
@ TonyStarksNJ, thanks for your recommendation on NB. What is interesting is that we started looking in NB, but we would rather live in a smaller townhome than a beat up community. Infact Governers Pointe was in our priority when we looked at it online, but when we drove there it was a different story; crazy teenagers in the pool, on the streets. Then we looked at all 3 communities near Renaissance blvd; which was like 90% South Asians..all were outside with their kids at around 7 pm. Don't get me wrong, I think they are the best immigrants, family oriented people. But all of them South Asians!! how did that happen??? My best friend is south asian, so don't attack me for being racist please. She said she would find it weird living in that area as well!!Also, Valedictorian's of all schools go to top Universities so lets talk about average people here.

We also did not find any updated home for 320,000 in the good areas of NB. All homes we found were bordering New Brunswick. So NB is out of question.
You can't find an updated home off 130 in North Brunswick?

Your money, I was just providing an opinion, that being said, I disagree with what I bolded above. EBWick says NB schools are average. There is Princeton, NJIT, Stevens, Mich, MIT, Rutgers, etc all over that link I provided. If the schools are average, how are those kids making it??

If they can make it, why can't your kid? Im not really sure why people put so much weight into how the "rest" of the school/class does. So in NB where a kid is raised with a single parent lets say, and gets average grades, yet doesnt have the means to attend a middle of the pack 4 year university, so instead chooses to enroll and middlesex community CC. Yet in "Montgomery" another kid has the same grades, same Standardized test scores, where everyone is pretty much wealthy (or lets just say more wealthy) than my example kid from above, but his/her parents are more well off and can afford to pay for college. So kid from Montgomery goes to middle of the pack school West Virginia lets say (lots of kids from Jersey go there).

Are you trying to tell me there is a difference in high schools? Of course not, Montgomery is obviously more wealthy. There kids can get into better schools becuase duh they can pay for it.

I really just want to know from the school nazi's, is it the schools or isn't it? Again, the link i provided shows kids going to some TOP secondary schooling. The obvious conclusion is the schools are good enough right? But now OP is saying top kids go to best schools everywhere (which I agree with) and cares more about where the median in the school goes. Which is saying its "NOT" the school, it's the demographic of the kids, right?

Here's another tip to OP, South Brunswick, Montgomery East Brunswick etc are all PACKED with east/south asians. So if you have a problem with them, quite frankly you're moving to the wrong area.

Old 07-20-2013, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HubCityMadMan View Post
I'm sure the other towns have townhouse complexes that are a similar demographic to Renaissance. This whole area has a noticeable South Asian presence. The only upper middle class town in this area that is less than 20% Asian is Monroe and that is likely because over half of it is geriatric.
But that is changing too. The East/South Asians prefer to buy new construction. There isnt a lot that in NB, SB etc. Theres a TON of it in Monroe. Thats why all these builders are rushing to build these new developments there. From the posts on this very board, everytime a new development in Monroe opens up, there are folks camping out to put deposits sight unseen.

Old 07-20-2013, 03:04 PM

36 posts, read 71,060 times
lol @ HubCityMadMan use of ' geriatric' its so true for Monroe.
@TonyStarksNJ
I understand your frustration. But the better the school ranking, the better the resale and vice versa. Hence my need to buy in a better school district. I wish it wasn't the case, cos Franklin Township near cedar grove ln has some great town homes in my budget, but its values are going down due to school rankings. you are spot on about them preferring new construction, all of my south asian friends recommended me to live in Monroe. I said I would rather spend time with my kids than commuting 1 hour extra each day.

Old 07-20-2013, 03:05 PM

3,984 posts, read 6,694,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyStarksNJ View Post
Valedictorian of NB this year is going to Princeton, guess he was just average

http://www.mycentraljersey.com/apps/...=2013306260079

School Nazis on this board are amazing
Wowee - super impressed.

While we're selectively picking grads going to the Ivies, I see your Princeton attendee and raise you one future star basketballer from EB also going to Princeton. And like OMG...he's a black kid in EB! I thought there weren't any of those in your made-up, delusional world.

http://www.mycentraljersey.com/artic...icks-Princeton

Old 07-20-2013, 04:05 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 17,117,837 times
This is a funny post all you people arguing about which flatland community is better. Ask those living in the Somerset Hills if they want to move "down the hill"
Only one town on the list is in the hills. But hey if people are not concerned about when the flood waters are coming I say go for it.

BTW, the schools in all of those towns are ranked good so that should not be an issue.

Old 07-20-2013, 05:06 PM

2,178 posts, read 4,833,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyStarksNJ View Post
If your husband has any chance of being transferred to JC/NYC then he will be in hell if you live in Montgomery, or Bridgewater. Montgomery is no mans land as far as commute to NYC. The school Nazi's on this board will try to justify that it's "not bad". As a 10 year NJTransit commuter, I can tell you they are lying.

Bridgewater isnt so bad, but again, the raritan valley train line also blows. A commute to NYC will be awful.

As a buyer who bought less than two years ago (in this same area up and down NEC), with a higher budget, I will tell you you wont find anything in South Brunswick or East Brunswick worth buying for that much money that wont need another 50k-100k to bring to this decade.

Honestly, you need to be looking at North Brunswick.

Option 5: North Brunswick: 3/2.5 newly updated SINGLE FAMILY home within 20 min of princeton, within 4 miles of one NJT station to NYC and soon to be one NJT station IN town to NYC.
Exactly my thoughts! Good job TonyStarksNJ!

I will add that North Brunswick looks particularly attractive because of the new train station that will be ready in 4-5 years. That would make the commute to NYC so much easier for the neighboring communities.

OP, if you are looking for a house/townhouse in Middlesex or Somerset County (South Brunswick, North Brunswick, Edison, Bridgewater, Piscataway) - they all have a very high percentage of South Asians. Especially communities that were build post 1990s will have as many as 40-50%. If you prefer non-Asian neighborhood in any of these towns, that's a tough find.

Old 07-20-2013, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
Wowee - super impressed.

While we're selectively picking grads going to the Ivies, I see your Princeton attendee and raise you one future star basketballer from EB also going to Princeton. And like OMG...he's a black kid in EB! I thought there weren't any of those in your made-up, delusional world.

http://www.mycentraljersey.com/artic...icks-Princeton
WHat the f*** is your point? Did I ever say there werent any black/brown people in EB? Don't be so dense. Both schools can put kids in Princeton, you agree right? Then why buy a 2 bed townhome in Shopping Strip capital of the world when for the same money you can get a 3/4 bed home in North Brunswick?

And OP, I know which townhomes you are talking about in Franklin, we ALMOST bought their other townhomes on Pierce, (name escapes me) when they were in Construction 3/4 years ago. But you are crazy if you think folks arent buying in that area. Go look at the "Summerfields" thread on this very forum (might be on the first page here). That is a community of HOMES for 450k+ that south/east asians are gobbling up faster than they can build them. Much more expensive than the price range you are looking at.

Last edited by TonyStarksNJ; 07-20-2013 at 06:29 PM..

Old 07-21-2013, 01:31 AM

36 posts, read 71,060 times
&tonystarksnj , yes ppl are buying summer fields as it is new construction. I said value of entire somerset in general is going down , something which you cannot deny.

@daven I m not looking in piscatway or edison but yes % of asians are high in some.. 50% I don't mind but I mentioned that I have a problem when 90% are Asians !

@PDD oh so it's the ' somerset hills' now hmm kind of a snobby term. So I have to choose between 'we live uphill community' and non-judgemental community! Well I just put an offer on an EB property , if its accepted I'll b happy to live in a non-snobby area!

Old 07-21-2013, 05:59 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 17,117,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessnewlife View Post
&tonystarksnj , yes ppl are buying summer fields as it is new construction. I said value of entire somerset in general is going down , something which you cannot deny.

@daven I m not looking in piscatway or edison but yes % of asians are high in some.. 50% I don't mind but I mentioned that I have a problem when 90% are Asians !

@PDD oh so it's the ' somerset hills' now hmm kind of a snobby term. So I have to choose between 'we live uphill community' and non-judgemental community! Well I just put an offer on an EB property , if its accepted I'll b happy to live in a non-snobby area!
Good for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey