Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 12:03 PM

36 posts, read 74,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayzer View Post
darn, I really like the prices and the styles of these homes. I have 2 kids (11 and 13), does anyone know or recommend an area like this but with kids ? I really like the Thomas R. Grover Middle School in WW/Plainsboro area (per the great reviews) .

In Hillsborough, is there are part of that county to avoid? We are considering townhouses as well with 3 bdrms. Will be coming down to scout this week. thank you
I have been through this, seeing an adult community home on zillow and falling in love only to realise its not for me. So frustrating.
For the peace of your mind always do a google search and checkout its description on coldwell/remax/weichert etc They will mention if its 'adult' or not.

Good schools within 35 mins of New Brunswick are as follows West Windsor/plainsboro, Bridgewater, Highland Park, Metuchen, Montgomery, Edison, East Brunswick, South Brunswick)

All of the above are good areas to live in for your situation, but a 4 bedroom under $375K will narrow you down to South Brunswick, check out kendall park area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2013, 12:25 PM

10 posts, read 21,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessnewlife View Post
I have been through this, seeing an adult community home on zillow and falling in love only to realise its not for me. So frustrating.
For the peace of your mind always do a google search and checkout its description on coldwell/remax/weichert etc They will mention if its 'adult' or not.

Good schools within 35 mins of New Brunswick are as follows West Windsor/plainsboro, Bridgewater, Highland Park, Metuchen, Montgomery, Edison, East Brunswick, South Brunswick)

All of the above are good areas to live in for your situation, but a 4 bedroom under $375K will narrow you down to South Brunswick, check out kendall park area.
Thanks for the info, guess it's back to Zillow to search again. We could go as high as $425K.

Old 07-27-2013, 01:01 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,454,281 times
Quote:
Thanks for the info, guess it's back to Zillow to search again. We could go as high as $425K.

I'd think Bernards Twp may be a great solution! They have several wonderful townhome communities in your price range, as well as a few SFH and the schools are top tier - in fact so good they are considered among the best in the country. One of the best parts of living in Bernards Twp, for the OP is that Cedar Hill Elementary (one of the schools in the Bernards Twp school district) currently houses a state-of-the-art public program for children on the autism spectrum, utilizing the principles of ABA and is considered one of the best programs for those on the spectrum within the state. The community is wonderful to live in, there is a train station on the midtown direct line at both Basking Ridge as well as Lyons sections of the Twp. The only downside would be that your work commute would be a bit over your desired 30 min. (more like 45 ish).

KoalaNJ

I did a quick search on Trulia and zillow and found these possibilities Basking Ridge Real Estate & Basking Ridge Homes For Sale — Trulia.com Bernards Township NJ Homes for Sale & Bernards Township Real Estate - Zillow

One has to be a bit diligent when seeking housing in Bernards Twp, as you have to look up possible housing using different names depending on which site you are using. Bernards Twp includes areas known as Basking Ridge, Lyons, Liberty Corner and West Millington. (be careful as part of Millington is in Long Hill Twp, and that is a different school district) There is a small section of Bernards Twp that uses a Martinsville address for postal purposes, so you have to look carefully there as well. A good local realtor (one based in Basking Ridge perhaps) will be able to help with these intricacies.

Old 07-27-2013, 10:28 PM

Hi KoalaNJ, I'll make sure to check this location and the school for my son who's on the spectrum. can't thank all the posters enough, this is a great forum! what's another 15 mins from work when your kids and family comes first. : )

Old 07-28-2013, 07:04 AM

1,041 posts, read 3,012,486 times
Quote:

Yes sure, check out Kendall Park for a 60 yr old 3/1.5 dump with no basement, but you'll get the "good schools"

Theres a brand new renovated home on Sand Hill Rd that has been for sale for over 2 years, still no buyer.

You know what I just realized, OP who is coming from Cinci, with a new family, about to make a very stressful decision, is getting advice from a poster (who I just quoted) who just posted a thread asking which schools/area is better, and just nixed a home deal becuase of an old water stain. This first time home buyer is apparently now an expert on both area and school systems, although they don't live in either community nor have children in the school system.

Moral of the story folks, take everything on this board with a grain of salt.

Last edited by TonyStarksNJ; 07-28-2013 at 07:18 AM..

Old 07-28-2013, 06:53 PM

36 posts, read 74,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyStarksNJ View Post
Yes sure, check out Kendall Park for a 60 yr old 3/1.5 dump with no basement, but you'll get the "good schools"

Theres a brand new renovated home on Sand Hill Rd that has been for sale for over 2 years, still no buyer.

You know what I just realized, OP who is coming from Cinci, with a new family, about to make a very stressful decision, is getting advice from a poster (who I just quoted) who just posted a thread asking which schools/area is better, and just nixed a home deal becuase of an old water stain. This first time home buyer is apparently now an expert on both area and school systems, although they don't live in either community nor have children in the school system.

Moral of the story folks, take everything on this board with a grain of salt.
OP asked for a 4 bedroom under 375K, hence mentioned Kendall Park.

I took the decision of not buying the home after talking to a home inspection company and attorney. I am ready to explain every little detail of it if you want to spend your valuable time reading it.

It can take as little as one day to learn about which schools are better in which area. I've spent my last few days reading nj school report cards and on great school.org and asking friends and family as well. I guess they all must've given me false info

Old 07-28-2013, 09:18 PM

200 posts, read 555,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoalaNJ View Post
I'd think Bernards Twp may be a great solution! They have several wonderful townhome communities in your price range, as well as a few SFH and the schools are top tier - in fact so good they are considered among the best in the country. One of the best parts of living in Bernards Twp, for the OP is that Cedar Hill Elementary (one of the schools in the Bernards Twp school district) currently houses a state-of-the-art public program for children on the autism spectrum, utilizing the principles of ABA and is considered one of the best programs for those on the spectrum within the state. The community is wonderful to live in, there is a train station on the midtown direct line at both Basking Ridge as well as Lyons sections of the Twp. The only downside would be that your work commute would be a bit over your desired 30 min. (more like 45 ish).

KoalaNJ

I did a quick search on Trulia and zillow and found these possibilities Basking Ridge Real Estate & Basking Ridge Homes For Sale — Trulia.com Bernards Township NJ Homes for Sale & Bernards Township Real Estate - Zillow

One has to be a bit diligent when seeking housing in Bernards Twp, as you have to look up possible housing using different names depending on which site you are using. Bernards Twp includes areas known as Basking Ridge, Lyons, Liberty Corner and West Millington. (be careful as part of Millington is in Long Hill Twp, and that is a different school district) There is a small section of Bernards Twp that uses a Martinsville address for postal purposes, so you have to look carefully there as well. A good local realtor (one based in Basking Ridge perhaps) will be able to help with these intricacies.
Yes, KoalaNJ is right. Bernards twp is a wonderful town to live in and has great schools. I hear great things from those with kids who have special needs in the town. Definitely reserach further.
Good Luck!

Old 07-29-2013, 10:22 AM

2,257 posts, read 5,188,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyStarksNJ View Post
Well, not really! You can find a 20 year old 3BR/2.5BA decent house in Kendall Park within OP's budget (425k). Not the whole of Kendall Park is old ranch houses. And then there are a few of these 60 year old ranch houses that are very upgraded and much better maintained than a 15 year old house.

Quote:
It can take as little as one day to learn about which schools are better in which area.
Ok now that's an overkill!

Old 08-06-2013, 09:20 AM

Hello all, just an update. After last week in NJ, we are thinking of either house/townhouse in S.Brunswick. I've heard that the schools are very good and the commute to New Brunswick is about 30 mins. Also, train station (Princeton Junction) not too far if we want to venture out to NYC and close to Princeton. Does anyone know which areas of S Brunswick I should avoid looking for homes? Thank you

Old 08-06-2013, 09:49 AM

2,257 posts, read 5,188,336 times
Quote:
Hello all, just an update. After last week in NJ, we are thinking of either house/townhouse in S.Brunswick. I've heard that the schools are very good and the commute to New Brunswick is about 30 mins. Also, train station (Princeton Junction) not too far if we want to venture out to NYC and close to Princeton. Does anyone know which areas of S Brunswick I should avoid looking for homes? Thank you
There are no bad parts in South Brunswick! Also, no undesirable towns neighboring SB, so you don't have to worry about avoiding a specific section.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey