Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 11:34 AM

10 posts, read 21,137 times

Advertisements

Hello, my wife and 2 kids ages 11 with Autism and the other 13 are moving from Cincinnati to NJ in about a month. I am looking for a county with a great public school board mostly for my son with special needs and a family friendly neighborhood. As my work will be in Bridgewater the housing prices there are really expensive (1 house = 2 houses in Cincinnati). I don't mind a commune of 30 mins to go to and from work. We also like to have a diversity of restaurants to try and some shopping (for my 13 yr old). I've been to Hillsbourogh and liked the Main street shops and restaurants. My main concern is to get find great schooling for my 11 yr old.

Please advise, thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 11:55 AM

1,450 posts, read 3,452,645 times
In order to give you truly useful answers we need more information from you. Please see the sticky thread at the top of this forum, //www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...residents.html and answer the questions asked. I know you answered some of the questions in the sticky post in your initial post, just provide further info. requested. Also if you are looking for a commute time of <30 minutes, you need to provide more information on what part of Bridgewater your office is located. Bridgewater is a fairly large and spread out township, and during rush it can easily take more that 30 min. to get from one end to the other.

HTH
KoalaNJ

Old 07-22-2013, 12:02 PM

thanks, let me read the sticky and get back to you.

Old 07-22-2013, 02:40 PM

2,750 posts, read 2,415,821 times
maybe Somerville?

Old 07-22-2013, 03:37 PM

2,257 posts, read 5,185,759 times
Let him read the sticky and come back with more specifics. He is still under the sticker shock! (1 house = 2 houses in Cincinnati)

Old 07-22-2013, 07:32 PM

hello all,
thanks for all replies. i've doublecheck and the workplace is actually in New Brunswick, NJ 08933 (sorry for the confusion). We like a location not furthur than 30-35 mins away. New Brunswick is very $$$ and taxes $$$. We're from Cincinnati so like davenj08 mentioned 1 house + taxes = 2 houses in Cincinnati

Where are you coming from? Cincinnati
Why are you moving? relocation

Will you buy or rent? Prefer to purchase but could rent for a few months to get our bearings (don't really like moving again)

What is your budget ? between 300K-375K
What kind of place are you looking for ? Single family home, 4 bedrooms, 2 baths, garage, large front and backyard not mandatory

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ? Myself, dw and 2 kids (1 on the autism spectrum ages 11 and 13)
Do you need/want good public schools? Very Important is that the school board provides excellent support for children with disability.

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in: We like to go out and explore the city together and try different types of cuisine (chinese, japanese, bbq, thai, italian, mexican, etc, safe neighborhood, good neighbours.

List three things that are important to you in order of importance.(examples: nightlife, outdoor activities, rural/urban, safety, downtown area, charming, new construction, proximity to XYZ, family oriented, easy parking, short commute, etc) Good schools, safety, some outdoors, some shopping.

I understand that this is very broad and that you may give up something to get something (no place is perfect) and I'm fine with this. This forum is great and thanks for all your assistance to making this move less stressful for us. We appreciate it!

Old 07-22-2013, 08:07 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Johnson & Johnson?

Old 07-22-2013, 08:10 PM

385 posts, read 1,175,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayzer View Post
hello all,
thanks for all replies. i've doublecheck and the workplace is actually in New Brunswick, NJ 08933 (sorry for the confusion). We like a location not furthur than 30-35 mins away. New Brunswick is very $$$ and taxes $$$. We're from Cincinnati so like davenj08 mentioned 1 house + taxes = 2 houses in Cincinnati

Where are you coming from? Cincinnati
Why are you moving? relocation

Will you buy or rent? Prefer to purchase but could rent for a few months to get our bearings (don't really like moving again)

What is your budget ? between 300K-375K
What kind of place are you looking for ? Single family home, 4 bedrooms, 2 baths, garage, large front and backyard not mandatory

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ? Myself, dw and 2 kids (1 on the autism spectrum ages 11 and 13)
Do you need/want good public schools? Very Important is that the school board provides excellent support for children with disability.

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in: We like to go out and explore the city together and try different types of cuisine (chinese, japanese, bbq, thai, italian, mexican, etc, safe neighborhood, good neighbours.

List three things that are important to you in order of importance.(examples: nightlife, outdoor activities, rural/urban, safety, downtown area, charming, new construction, proximity to XYZ, family oriented, easy parking, short commute, etc) Good schools, safety, some outdoors, some shopping.

I understand that this is very broad and that you may give up something to get something (no place is perfect) and I'm fine with this. This forum is great and thanks for all your assistance to making this move less stressful for us. We appreciate it!
welcome to new jersey. metuchen seems like a good idea. it is near new brunswick (both in middlesex county), it has a nice downtown, good schools, and a stop on the njt nec train line, which also stops in new brunswick, princeton junction, trenton, newark and nyc. there are options in your range list here: Metuchen Real Estate & Metuchen Homes For Sale — Trulia.com. it was recently ranked 19th best schools in the state by a statewide magazine (njm). Metuchen School District gives more info about schools.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:13 PM

385 posts, read 1,175,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Johnson & Johnson?
if they are working for J&J and choose metuchen, they can either drive, or take the train 2 stops, as the j&j campus is right next to the station. the train is around 10 minutes long. a monthly pass is 55 dollars.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:23 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slope95 View Post
if they are working for J&J and choose metuchen, they can either drive, or take the train 2 stops, as the j&j campus is right next to the station. the train is around 10 minutes long. a monthly pass is 55 dollars.
Yea, but I'd recommend West Windsor or Plainsboro over Metuchen. Still close by train (1 stop), but better schools and better socioeconomic environment... especially for a family.

As a bonus, West Windsor/Plainsboro has more trains to NYC and Philadelphia as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey