Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support "Stand your Ground" laws?
Yes 33 46.48%
No 38 53.52%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 07:28 AM

690 posts, read 963,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorfulchic83 View Post
I just want to know how many of the tough guys who think it's cowardly to retreat to avoid shooting someone, would get in a fist fight if they did NOT have their gun? From what I've seen, the biggest gun freaks are the biggest punks, and couldn't fight their way out of a wet paper bag. They only talk tough when their gun is on them.
thas true, jus ask captainnj, he ll even tell u hes a punk
i bet GZ wouldn't follow TM had he not had a gun, its a power trip, kinda like some cops have
SYG basically gives cowardly bullies a pass
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorfulchic83 View Post
That sucks for her. She's black AND a woman, 2 things 'Murica ain't fond of. Fl state attorney Angela Corey needs to be investigated. She's clearly a racist, especially when she says on live TV, "The Blacks". WTH?
yea, a black woman is a double minority
the prosecution was very weak, im startin to think maybe they were racist too or someth and didnt try hard nuff
as strong as the defense came, thats as weak as the prosecution was, they picked fd up, low iq, racist jurors, its obvious now if anyone heard that juror interview
she kept saying "them them them" referring to black people, and when asked if she felt sorry for TM, she said she felt sorry for both of em, why say that? TM is the dead one, GZ is free and alive, like damn they not even hiding it

Old 07-23-2013, 07:40 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,075,803 times
We should NEVER base our laws on what our yahoo southern states do. Be it guns, abortion restrictions, "school choice" or anti-gay statutes. They have retrograde thinking on many topics that we have left behind 30-40 yrs ago.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
We should NEVER base our laws on what our yahoo southern states do. Be it guns, abortion restrictions, "school choice" or anti-gay statutes. They have retrograde thinking on many topics that we have left behind 30-40 yrs ago.
id say they are behind by at least 100 yrs, many of em down there have the same mindset they did during slavery and civil war

Old 07-23-2013, 07:48 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,099,201 times
Folks...

remember.. SYG (and the like) is a separate discussion from Gun control.

The notion of SYG or Duty to retreat applies to lethal force.. not just force with a firearm.

You can be a supporter of Gun ownership and yet not support SYG (<< me). You can also be a supporter of SYG but support gun control.

As I mentioned in a previous post, Texas had a concealed weapons law on the books since 1991 but the governor did not sign SYG into law until 2007. Texas was doing just fine before 2007...

In a way, you are right.. SYG gives certain people a pass that is unjustified.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:52 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,099,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
Actually, that statement is WAY WAY too generalized. Its not just the southern states (some are pretty progressive)..... but there are many states from other parts of the country that you will probably have the same opinion.. It has less to do with geography and more to do with the influence of the far conservative right.

But

I'm a firm believer of the 10th Amendment..... so what ever their constituents vote for... I just won't be a part of that particular state. I don't agree with NJ's gun laws (too restrictive) BUT it is what the state voted on and I have to come to terms with it. For example, I don't believe a handgun should be restricted to law enforcement.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Actually, that statement is WAY WAY too generalized. Its not just the southern states (some are pretty progressive)..... but there are many states from other parts of the country that you will probably have the same opinion.. It has less to do with geography and more to do with the influence of the far conservative right.

But

I'm a firm believer of the 10th Amendment..... so what ever their constituents vote for... I just won't be a part of that particular state. I don't agree with NJ's gun laws (too restrictive) BUT it is what the state voted on and I have to come to terms with it. For example, I don't believe a handgun should be restricted to law enforcement.
southern states seem to have the most unrestrictive versions of SYG, and they are the most agressive when it comes to owning guns
and yes, gun control IS a seperate issue, like with that ice pick killing case, SYG can be used too, but actually non nutjob gun advocates will suffer because of this nutjob law because it will put everyone under more scrutiny

the real victims are black people living in those states, they now cant know for sure if their kids will come back home because some "macho" man might get scared of them and kill them without any repercussions, be it a gun, an ice pick or whateva (GZ didnt even get arrested until public pressure went over the top), i would just move if i was them
and also non fd up southern folks are victims cuz this stigma will follow them wherever they go, and they are prolly more upset about the whole thing than others cuz it makes them look bad only reinforcing the stereotypes

Old 07-23-2013, 08:28 AM

908 posts, read 1,555,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stechkin View Post
Video: Stand Your Ground Law Doesn't Work For This Woman.. Gets 20 Years Just For Firing Warning Shot At Abusive Husband (Rev Al Sharpton Speaks Out)
double standards in america are just in ya face, i guess she was better off following him and shooting him and killing him, as that seems to clear yo name easily
and they wan talk bout race is not an issue, FOH
YUP!

Old 07-23-2013, 08:28 AM

pre-verdict:
Old Man Going Nuts On Trayvon/Zimmerman Case Speaking The Realness (THE ORIGINAL VIDEO) - YouTube
and post verdict:
Angry Grandpa Reacts To Zimmerman Verdict! - YouTube

Old 07-23-2013, 08:29 AM

908 posts, read 1,555,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stechkin View Post
yea, a black woman is a double minority
the prosecution was very weak, im startin to think maybe they were racist too or someth and didnt try hard nuff
as strong as the defense came, thats as weak as the prosecution was, they picked fd up, low iq, racist jurors, its obvious now if anyone heard that juror interview
she kept saying "them them them" referring to black people, and when asked if she felt sorry for TM, she said she felt sorry for both of em, why say that? TM is the dead one, GZ is free and alive, like damn they not even hiding it
Many legal analysts picked apart the prosecutions weak & BOTCHED job. It's sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey