Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support "Stand your Ground" laws?
Yes 33 46.48%
No 38 53.52%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 08:33 AM

908 posts, read 1,555,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Folks...

remember.. SYG (and the like) is a separate discussion from Gun control.

The notion of SYG or Duty to retreat applies to lethal force.. not just force with a firearm.

You can be a supporter of Gun ownership and yet not support SYG (<< me). You can also be a supporter of SYG but support gun control.

As I mentioned in a previous post, Texas had a concealed weapons law on the books since 1991 but the governor did not sign SYG into law until 2007. Texas was doing just fine before 2007...

In a way, you are right.. SYG gives certain people a pass that is unjustified.
Agreed. I support gun ownership, but SYG laws are too vague in most places, and leave room for some serious sociopaths to get away with murder. Florida seems to be a hot bed for it. The lunatic who killed an unarmed black teen for playing loud music, as the kids sat in the car, is claiming SYG!!!! Seriously WTF?!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 08:34 AM

908 posts, read 1,555,501 times
I <3 this old man. He is seriously funny, but speaks the truth.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:41 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,101,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stechkin View Post
but actually non nutjob gun advocates will suffer because of this nutjob law because it will put everyone under more scrutiny
Absolutely!!! That is my concern. I am afraid that the general public won't see SYG separation from gun control. When SYG is taken down, it might just also take down gun ownership rights along with it.

Its the reason why I keep repeating the same thing.... SYG != gun rights/control.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:44 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,101,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorfulchic83 View Post
The lunatic who killed an unarmed black teen for playing loud music, as the kids sat in the car, is claiming SYG!!!! Seriously WTF?!!
I keep hearing these sad reports... so sad. Unfortunately, many advocates for SYG don't seem to see or read the same news articles.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:50 AM

690 posts, read 963,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
I keep hearing these sad reports... so sad. Unfortunately, many advocates for SYG don't seem to see or read the same news articles.
and i like how they try to say that its isolated incidents...when does it stop bein an isolated incident i wonder, after how many victims?
Michael Jock, Florida man, invokes "stand your ground" law after shooting man at pizza restaurant, police say - Crimesider - CBS News
Florida man shoots and kills 17-year-old teen after argument over loud music at gas station - NY Daily News
Home Invasion Suspect Uses "Stand Your Ground" Defense In Murder - WSPA
Many killers who go free with Florida 'stand your ground' law have history of violence | Tampa Bay Times
Man kills two unarmed people and gets cleared Stand your ground law, Trayvon Martin and a shocking legacy: Defendant Michael Monahan and victim Raymond Mohlman, Matthew Vittum | Tampa Bay Times

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/24/op...law.html?_r=1&
former Miami police chief-Homicides categorized as justifiable have nearly tripled since the law went into effect.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:51 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Come on Captain we know your not the sharpest pencil in the box but bad guys don't break into houses to steal your kids. They break in to take your stuff.

You would fit in down here in NC because they do let every Loony Tune who wants a gun to get one. They even made me go through a background check and I'm a good guy from NJ.
Now they are doing away with that requirement and "allowing the seller to do the background check.
If you needs guns "come on down" we got plenty. Just don't let those bad guys in Law enforcement in NJ catch you.
i appreciate the attack on my intelligence. i especially appreciate it while the attacker is saying something that is completely ridiculous. its funny that you label me as some looney toon who needs guns. i have guns (legally owned), i just dont have the right to carry them in public. im also someone that you would want to carry in public because everyone would be safer (except criminals) if i could.

did these home invaders just steal some stuff?

Connecticut Home Invasion: Rape, Murder and Arson

Old 07-23-2013, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i appreciate the attack on my intelligence. i especially appreciate it while the attacker is saying something that is completely ridiculous. its funny that you label me as some looney toon who needs guns. i have guns (legally owned), i just dont have the right to carry them in public. im also someone that you would want to carry in public because everyone would be safer (except criminals) if i could.

did these home invaders just steal some stuff?

Connecticut Home Invasion: Rape, Murder and Arson
nah
what makes people think they are the police when they are not? u dont have training, authority or good judgement to be in that kinda position of power

Old 07-23-2013, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorfulchic83 View Post
I just want to know how many of the tough guys who think it's cowardly to retreat to avoid shooting someone, would get in a fist fight if they did NOT have their gun? From what I've seen, the biggest gun freaks are the biggest punks, and couldn't fight their way out of a wet paper bag. They only talk tough when their gun is on them.
what a childish thing to say. i never get into fist fights and to this point id never need to use a gun. but if i did get into a fist fight or use my gun it would be in the exact same scenario (except situations where id be helping someone else other than my family as id be less likely to do so without a gun). id just have a much better shot at success with the gun.

how childish to talk about fighting and calling people that wouldnt wish to fight a "punk."

Old 07-23-2013, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stechkin View Post
nah
what makes people think they are the police when they are not? u dont have training, authority or good judgement to be in that kinda position of power

i have no interest in being the police. the police count the bodies after a crime has happened; they arent there to defend people made helpless by gun laws. i just want to be able to protect myself and others from those who would do them harm.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
what a childish thing to say. i never get into fist fights and to this point id never need to use a gun. but if i did get into a fist fight or use my gun it would be in the exact same scenario (except situations where id be helping someone else other than my family as id be less likely to do so without a gun). id just have a much better shot at success with the gun.

how childish to talk about fighting and calling people that wouldnt wish to fight a "punk."
are u Zimmerman? damn, that must be his alter ego
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey