Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 07:12 PM

6 posts, read 12,879 times

Advertisements

I have to say , even though my kids are years away from the high school, I know several kids that have recently graduated Hawthorne high school. I have attended sessions with the Principal ,as well as the 2013 graduation ceremony.

This years class was stellar, -test scores the best ever , some truly talented and caring kids. I saw the list of the colleges HHS graduates will be attending- Cornell, UNC,Rutgers some really great schools. I am tired of people saying the school is mediocre, based on what? NJ monthly? their neighbor's ( who do not even have kids in HHS) comments??

HHS does more with less, with better test scores than schools ranked in the top 50. Hawthorne is economically diverse so looking at overall ranks will never tell the real story.

In addition to the Goffle Brook Park reno, the town has a 600k grant to improve the downtown. The tide has turned.

As for middle schools, Roosevelt is an excellent school, with amazing teachers , so you do not have to live in Jefferson to enjoy good schools for your kids or better resale. Chanced are your taxes will be much lower Roosevelt vs Jefferson as well.

Do not listen to the naysayers, talk to the principal, new Superintendant,( she is going to shake things up) other parents with kids in the high school, make a decision based on fact not perception and a skewed NJ monthly ranking.

Additionally I know several Hawthorne residents who have graduated HHS as far back as 20 years ago who are anything but mediocre- doctors, lawyers, sb owners, plumbers, but most importantly -nice people

Best of luck in your search!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 08:41 PM

2,535 posts, read 6,666,921 times
The schools in Hawthorne are what they are. I don't think anyone is saying that you can't get a decent education there. My feeling was that for the taxes we paid decent wasn't good enough. As for the downtown renovation, the main issue there is the buildings themselves. $600K is a drop in the bucket for the work that is needed. Street lights and new paver sidewalks aren't really going to help. They need to rehab the facades of those buildings! They are hideous!!! A nice bar would also be a huge addition. That is what needs to go in that always closing restaurant space next to the theater, an upscale bar and grille with PARKING. Oh and the town really needs to ban "We buy gold" signs. Nothing screams low class louder, except maybe a check cashing place.

Old 08-07-2013, 09:18 PM

In my opinion Nothing "decent" or "mediocre" about getting into an ivy league school or many of the other top schools HHS 2103 grads were admitted to.

Jefferson is blue ribbon, Roosevelt is excellent, nothing mediocre about that.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:29 AM

It's really about the numbers. Do kids from Hawthorne High go to Ivy or top tier universities? Sure but not the majority and not nearly as many as from surrounding schools. That's just a fact. Also Hawthorne's adjusted cohort graduation rate of 85.95%(2012 number) is below the NJ average of 86.46%. IMO that is shameful given the resources the district has and the socioeconomic level of the population. The combined SAT scores of Hawthonre Students is 1516, respectable but barely above the state average of 1500. In my book that equates to decent and mediocre. There is also the AP program, or lack there of. 8 AP classes offered? I'm sorry but IMO that displays a general lack of challenging students and encouraging an environment of mediocrity. Kids need to be challenged, especially High School kids and until Hawthorne stops "teaching to the middle" the stigma they have as a "mediocre" school is going to stay. Hopefully your observations about this years class are correct and the 2013 stats will improve and show that they are going in a better direction. I hope it does get better, I'm a big fan of the town, and the people, it has SO much going for it but in regards to the High School facts are facts.

references:

http://www.state.nj.us/education/dat.../20124year.pdf

https://app.box.com/s/7c300516930c32f71a8e

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201...ip_across.html

Last edited by Goldendoodle1969; 08-08-2013 at 09:08 AM..

Old 08-08-2013, 03:37 PM

256 posts, read 398,624 times
And what are you all saying? That Fair Lawn is much better than Hawthorne in terms of SAT scores, AP class offerings, and sending kids to Ivys?

Old 08-08-2013, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_vader123 View Post
And what are you all saying? That Fair Lawn is much better than Hawthorne in terms of SAT scores, AP class offerings, and sending kids to Ivys?
No, if you read the thread I'm promoting Hawthorne over Fair Lawn, personally I like it better. The discussion here is about the reputation of Hawthorne High and whether it is deserved or not. It is not comparing it to Fair Lawn High.

Old 08-08-2013, 03:45 PM

Quote:
No, if you read the thread I'm promoting Hawthorne over Fair Lawn, personally I like it better. The discussion here is about the reputation of Hawthorne High and whether it is deserved or not. It is not comparing it to Fair Lawn High. I'm saying exactly what I posted, nothing implied. The current numbers show that Hawthorne High is mediocre at best.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:37 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,461,026 times
Quote:
Absolutely, positively, it is.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:01 PM

667 posts, read 1,744,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdstyles View Post
It's really about the numbers. Do kids from Hawthorne High go to Ivy or top tier universities? Sure but not the majority and not nearly as many as from surrounding schools. That's just a fact. Also Hawthorne's adjusted cohort graduation rate of 85.95%(2012 number) is below the NJ average of 86.46%. IMO that is shameful given the resources the district has and the socioeconomic level of the population. The combined SAT scores of Hawthonre Students is 1516, respectable but barely above the state average of 1500. In my book that equates to decent and mediocre. There is also the AP program, or lack there of. 8 AP classes offered? I'm sorry but IMO that displays a general lack of challenging students and encouraging an environment of mediocrity. Kids need to be challenged, especially High School kids and until Hawthorne stops "teaching to the middle" the stigma they have as a "mediocre" school is going to stay. Hopefully your observations about this years class are correct and the 2013 stats will improve and show that they are going in a better direction. I hope it does get better, I'm a big fan of the town, and the people, it has SO much going for it but in regards to the High School facts are facts.

references:

http://www.state.nj.us/education/dat.../20124year.pdf

https://app.box.com/s/7c300516930c32f71a8e

While U.S. SAT scores dip across the board, N.J. test-takers hold steady | NJ.com
well thought out rebuttal

Key is Hawthorne is not cheap and they should expect better. Like it or not 'perception' is Fair Lawn would be a better pick for value on the dollar although aesthetically I think Hawthorne has a bit more to offer. But with kids in tow aesthetics arent as important to young families vs reputation.

Old 08-09-2013, 06:09 AM

All I am saying is my kids could go to Hawthorne High next year and do just as well, get into the same college as they could if they went to Glen Rock, Fair Lawn, Wayne Valley etc

As I said before there are plenty of students that have gone to Hawthorne that received anything but a mediocre education. The overall rankings do not tell the entire story as Hawthorne is more economically diverse than many surrounding towns.

If you push education and the student is driven they can excel there. Many who attend choose not to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey