U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 06:28 PM

9 posts, read 19,453 times

Advertisements

Initially we started looking at Fair Lawn because it was in between the private elementary and high school we are considering for the kids and the commute to NYC was relatively painless. Though recently we saw a house on zillow a little north of Fair Lawn that was beautiful with lots of property in Hawthorne close to 208. The home is a little older with lots of character. As architects, we love that. The whole point to moving to Jersey from Brooklyn was to get lots of property and a beautiful home. Can you pipe in about Hawthorne vs. Fair Lawn regarding commute to NYC, property taxes, neighborhoods, etc...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 06:32 PM

67,459 posts, read 62,976,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momofzam View Post
Initially we started looking at Fair Lawn because it was in between the private elementary and high school we are considering for the kids and the commute to NYC was relatively painless. Though recently we saw a house on zillow a little north of Fair Lawn that was beautiful with lots of property in Hawthorne close to 208. The home is a little older with lots of character. As architects, we love that. The whole point to moving to Jersey from Brooklyn was to get lots of property and a beautiful home. Can you pipe in about Hawthorne vs. Fair Lawn regarding commute to NYC, property taxes, neighborhoods, etc...
I like Hawthorne. The commute is good--I took the train to the city when I lived there for a short while. There's a small downtown with a movie theater and some shops, and there's a wonderful town pool that was renovated a few years ago, which was my favorite part of living there.

The only caveat is that there is a poster on here who lives in Hawthorne but is leaving because he says that while the elementary schools are OK, the high school is not. I lived there after my daughter was grown, so I don't know.

Hopefully he will read this and give you better information.

Old 07-22-2013, 07:54 PM

2,535 posts, read 5,963,279 times
Yeh Hawthorne High has a pretty mediocre to poor reputation and it has been that way for a long time...like going back at least 20 years. That said the town is really nice. Down to earth families, safe, beautiful parks( Goffle Brook Park is in the middle of a multi million dollar renovation and is looking amazing) and a really good commute into the city. Aesthetically I think it is much nicer than Fair Lawn. I would definitely recommend making sure you are in the Jefferson School district it's far and away the best part of town and will make resale much easier if you ever chose to move. We really enjoyed our time there and I can't say enough about our neighbors, all of which became good friends. Taxes are high but not much higher than surrounding towns. Since you are going with private schools I think Hawthorne would be a better pick than Fair Lawn(which I like to call Cape City). Hawthorne has bigger houses, better houses and more property. The heights section has some really unique houses from traditional colonials, to contemporaries with many having city views. Any other specific questions feel free to dm me.

Last edited by Goldendoodle1969; 07-22-2013 at 09:22 PM..

Old 07-22-2013, 08:15 PM

1,336 posts, read 1,501,710 times
I'm not the Hawthorne poster but I did live there for 7 years. Here it is in a nutshell: Hawthorne is in Passaic county and the taxes are very very high, the high school is not well regarded (below average) and only a bridge/Passaic river separates Hawthorne from Paterson. My car was stolen from front of the house I lived in and later found in Newark - engine blown (quick getaway for car thieves via - Rt. 20/21 aka car thief highway).

Having said that, as MQ pointed out, the commute is good to NYC and there are some decent stores and restaurants. Downtown Ridgewood is 5-10 minutes away and Garden State Plaza/Paramus is 10 minutes away. As a matter of fact I still go to the barber shop there. The pool however is no more - I just drove by the other day and it's been filled... shame. Looks like they may be making a bigger parking lot. Not sure.

Supermarkets: you have a Shop rite in Fair Lawn/Hawthorne border by the river; "Basics" (lowest rung of A&P chain) is on Lincoln Ave. - Not the nicest super market and they carry the most basic items; Pathmark in Fair Lawn on Maple ave. - again not the nicest but will get the job done.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Putski View Post
I'm not the Hawthorne poster but I did live there for 7 years. Here it is in a nutshell: Hawthorne is in Passaic county and the taxes are very very high, the high school is not well regarded (below average) and only a bridge/Passaic river separates Hawthorne from Paterson. My car was stolen from front of the house I lived in and later found in Newark - engine blown (quick getaway for car thieves via - Rt. 20/21 aka car thief highway).

Having said that, as MQ pointed out, the commute is good to NYC and there are some decent stores and restaurants. Downtown Ridgewood is 5-10 minutes away and Garden State Plaza/Paramus is 10 minutes away. As a matter of fact I still go to the barber shop there. The pool however is no more - I just drove by the other day and it's been filled... shame. Looks like they may be making a bigger parking lot. Not sure.

Supermarkets: you have a Shop rite in Fair Lawn/Hawthorne border by the river; "Basics" (lowest rung of A&P chain) is on Lincoln Ave. - Not the nicest super market and they carry the most basic items; Pathmark in Fair Lawn on Maple ave. - again not the nicest but will get the job done.
Not sure how long ago you lived there but the pool is not "filled in"...unless you mean filled in with water and kids. You are talking about Wagaraw and May right? The pool was redone a while back, maybe you were at the old location. The pool looks really nice but its kind of a chaotic environment. I wasnt a fan. I lived there for over 3 years with small kids, rarely locked my house when I wasn't there and left my car unlocked on the street. No incidents. The A&P and Kings in Midland Park were the closest supermarkets to my house,both were very nice. Oh and as MQ pointed out to me many years ago, the Food Basics is actually in Glen Rock. They were trying to bring a Supermarket to Hawthorne for a while in the old Merck lot on Wagaraw but the only taker was Walmart and the town's people went nuts and got the project scrapped. Complaints of potential traffic and crime but it was really just the wrong supermarket. Whole Foods or Trader Joe's wounld have gotten a parade. They did the same thing to the proposed 7-11 on Goffle & Goffle Hill. Probably for the best.

Last edited by Goldendoodle1969; 07-22-2013 at 08:55 PM..

Old 07-22-2013, 09:00 PM

Quote:

You are kidding! I lived there in 2009, and they had just renovated the whole thing. Wow.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdstyles View Post
Not sure how long ago you lived there but the pool is not "filled in"...unless you mean filled in with water and kids. You are talking about Wagaraw and May right? The pool was redone a while back, maybe you were at the old location. The pool looks really nice but its kind of a chaotic environment. I wasnt a fan. I lived there for over 3 years with small kids, rarely locked my house when I wasn't there and left my car unlocked on the street. No incidents. The A&P and Kings in Midland Park were the closest supermarkets to my house,both were very nice. Oh and as MQ pointed out to me many years ago, the Food Basics is actually in Glen Rock. They were trying to bring a Supermarket to Hawthorne for a while in the old Merck lot on Wagaraw but the only taker was Walmart and the town's people went nuts and got the project scrapped. Complaints of potential traffic and crime but it was really just the wrong supermarket. Whole Foods or Trader Joe's wounld have gotten a parade. They did the same thing to the proposed 7-11 on Goffle & Goffle Hill. Probably for the best.
Oh, good, I thought that sounded kind of crazy.

I didn't find it a chaotic environment, and I was a big fan, but that might be because I wasn't there during the day. I went swimming in the evenings after I came home off the train, and it was a great way to end the day. It would be mostly empty at that time of day. I did go on the weekends sometimes, and it was busier then.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Oh, good, I thought that sounded kind of crazy.

I didn't find it a chaotic environment, and I was a big fan, but that might be because I wasn't there during the day. I went swimming in the evenings after I came home off the train, and it was a great way to end the day. It would be mostly empty at that time of day. I did go on the weekends sometimes, and it was busier then.
Yeh the pool is nice, a couple of unruly families kind of made us sour on it. There are some in every town pool I'm sure but the last couple years they seem to have multiplied. This could totally be my isolated experience. They have been having a number of...ahem...number 2 issues...ahem... in the pool this year from what I've heard forcing several closures for sanitation. If we had stayed we were going to join Graydon in Ridgewood but now my new town has a freakin,yes I said freakin, mini water park and a lake. It's mind boggling you have to see this thing.

Last edited by Goldendoodle1969; 07-22-2013 at 09:47 PM..

Old 07-22-2013, 10:02 PM

4,142 posts, read 9,599,787 times
Quote:

Goffle and Lincoln are the only streets that connect Hawthorne to Paterson. The area closest to Paterson near Goffle is mostly non-residental. You got the giant Kohler warehouse, tire distributers, a plumbing supply warehouse, a bus mechanic, various small business offices, etc. Lincoln ave near the bridge floods, so you want to avoid it. Its mostly non-residential though.

There aren't any homes in the entire town of Hawthorne that are within shouting distance of a home/business in Paterson.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:19 AM

1,336 posts, read 1,501,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdstyles View Post
Not sure how long ago you lived there but the pool is not "filled in"...unless you mean filled in with water and kids. You are talking about Wagaraw and May right? The pool was redone a while back, maybe you were at the old location.
My bad about the pool. I was talking about the one down near Rt 208 on Harristown Road (Walsh pool) which I guess is Glen Rock. Never used public pools so this was the only one I knew about since I drove by it everyday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey