Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 04:16 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,827,161 times

Advertisements

how long have you live in your neighborhood and do you know all your neighbors, or say hello to them when you see each other?

We recently moved to a new neighborhood and feeling kind of alone, we talk to only one family left of us, but none across the street.

Do you socialize with your neighbors?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 04:26 PM

11,344 posts, read 16,699,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnetworking View Post
how long have you live in your neighborhood and do you know all your neighbors, or say hello to them when you see each other?

We recently moved to a new neighborhood and feeling kind of alone, we talk to only one family left of us, but none across the street.

Do you socialize with your neighbors?
I didn't talk to my neighbor for over 25 years after I caught him allowing his dog to do his thing on my lawn and no doggy bag in site. So when I finally moved away it was one less neighbor to say good bye to.

Old 07-23-2013, 04:37 PM

708 posts, read 1,059,910 times
I have lived here for 15 years and I am on friendly terms with my neighbors.I am in a townhouse and I talk to everyone in my cluster and some from across the way.We do more than just say hello.We have full conversations about just about everything.Most of them have been here as long as me.But I think we really got close after the hurricane in 2011(not Sandy-I forget it's name) when we were without power for a week.I am glad these people are my neighbors.

Old 07-23-2013, 04:40 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
We have big yards and our homes are situated in a manner that it's not easy to see the neighbors while they are around their homes. As a result we don't see them "out and about".

We do talk to them on the phone and a get-togethers. At BBQs, etc. Many of our neighbors are members of the same club as us. So we talk to them there as well.

Old 07-23-2013, 05:01 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,875,920 times
When we were kids, my parents were friends with all the neighbors and vice versa. They all looked out for each other. When I got married in the early 80's and lived in a few places, South River (do not like outsiders at all) Sayreville, Matawan.....Toms River, Manasquan and Freehold....no one ever talked to each other. If you got run over, they'd walk over you rather then help. Now that I am in Oklahoma it's different. Everyone looks out for each other...at least where I am.

Old 07-23-2013, 05:10 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,684,988 times
yes, talk, socialize, go on vacation with, get drunk with. been here 13 yrs. they were awesome when i was sick.

Last edited by tahiti; 07-23-2013 at 05:51 PM..

Old 07-23-2013, 05:14 PM

131 posts, read 274,080 times
We just moved here, but the 2 sets of neighbors across the street are very friendly so far. Not so much behind the house, a little standoffish there. Then we've got elderly on either side who don't really socialize but are nice enough.

In my old rental we had a family that lived above us we became friendly with, and they helped me out when I was sick. They are coming to visit this Sunday in our new home.

Old 07-23-2013, 05:23 PM

367 posts, read 959,883 times
After 32 years here I've become a waving neighbor, not a chatting neighbor. When they discover you were a decorating contractor who also can do electrical, plumbing and auto work, you get way too many requests for help paid for after a couple days labor with an Entenmanns coffee cake. No more. I wave, not chat. I don't even know the new people's names and I don't want to. If I see someone breaking in or signs of a fire, I'll call 911 but that is the extent of my personal involvement.

Old 07-23-2013, 05:26 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times
I've gotten drunk with most of them. That has to count for something.

Old 07-23-2013, 05:41 PM

605 posts, read 2,147,187 times
We are friendly with 4 of the houses that surround us. We are more friendly with people right next door because they are the only ones with young kids. Neighbor diagonally to us are never ever friendly and never talk to anybody. It is borderline rude.

Then, recently, they put a very long notice on everybody's door asking about their lost cat. It was several paragraphs about where the cat likes to hide, pictures, and asking us to search our backyards. Ummm....I'm sorry you lost your cat but why is the first time you acknowledge us is when you need something from us? Weve waved to them, I've walked my kids right in front of their house, in the street, while they are loading stuff in their car. They don't even look up. No reciprocal waves or hellos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey