U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 11:48 AM

2,099 posts, read 3,193,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46H View Post
So only low quality high schools can prep students for life and only low quality schools teach laundry ? Your statement is pure nonsense.
What a contrarian.

What good is a highly ranked public NJ high school if kids are coddled and not prepared for the real world? It absolutely happens. I have good friends who are just like this.
Rate this post positively

Old 11-11-2014, 12:18 PM
46H

1,318 posts, read 904,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
What a contrarian.

What good is a highly ranked public NJ high school if kids are coddled and not prepared for the real world? It absolutely happens. I have good friends who are just like this.
Contrarian? Only to you.

There are around 400,000 high school students in around 400 high schools in NJ. To base your comments on your conversations with a few people and applying their opinions to the entire state population of HS students is the pinnacle of silliness.

Attending a top rated school is unrelated to being coddled and unprepared for the real world.

Old 11-11-2014, 12:20 PM

31,776 posts, read 36,137,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
It doesn't matter because where there is a will there will be better outcome.
it absolutely does matter. if the success rates for them in a nice area with a good school is higher than for them in bad area with a low ranked school, you would want them to be in the better school.

Old 11-11-2014, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46H View Post
Contrarian? Only to you.

There are around 400,000 high school students in around 400 high schools in NJ. To base your comments on your conversations with a few people and applying their opinions to the entire state population of HS students is the pinnacle of silliness.

Attending a top rated school is unrelated to being coddled and unprepared for the real world.
Contrarian only to me meaning you will go out of your way to disagree with any kind of post I make, chump.

And just how many successful people are there who went to HS in NJ and moved out of state and don't a s*** about NJ school rankings or giving back to their high school? I'm wagering A LOT.

Old 11-11-2014, 02:37 PM

Quote:
What a contrarian.

did you just learn the word "contrarian"? you called me that and now i see you are calling someone else it.

Old 11-11-2014, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
did you just learn the word "contrarian"? you called me that and now i see you are calling someone else it.
Would jackass be a better term for you?

Well it's typically used on internet forums when another user disagrees with the other person to A. prove a point or 2. because they don't like them. Even if their point makes a ton of sense, that person will still disagree with them.

"Well the sky is blue."

"Oh actually it's not it's earl gray."

It's obnoxious.

Old 11-11-2014, 05:05 PM

14,172 posts, read 8,236,486 times
It matters because better schools do more in getting kids ready for standardized tests like the SAT, they also have more challenging classes and advanced classes. They could also have recognized science or math teams that could give students good college credentials.

Old 11-11-2014, 05:47 PM
46H

1,318 posts, read 904,976 times
Quote:
Contrarian only to me meaning you will go out of your way to disagree with any kind of post I make, chump.
It is the first time I responded to your silly posts Miss Sensitive. I'm guessing you couldn't hack your top rated high school because you were so coddled by mommy. Maybe you should have taken AP laundry. Then you would have been ready for the real world.

Quote:
And just how many successful people are there who went to HS in NJ and moved out of state and don't a s*** about NJ school rankings or giving back to their high school? I'm wagering A LOT.
How about a link.

Old 11-12-2014, 10:11 AM

378 posts, read 497,096 times
If you are talented and hard working, your high school, college, town, won't matter at all, this is America. If you are not however, all other things being equal, a good high school, college, and place you grew up in, will give you a leg up and opportunities you might not have otherwise had.

Thus, the "who you know" aspect shouldn't be ignored in this debate. It's often said the best thing about going to Harvard is not the education or degree, but rather knowing other people who went to Harvard. This applies to many other things as well. If one grows up in a highly exclusive place like e.g. Greenwich, Saddle River, Short Hills, Scarsdale, Alpine; going to the schools and simply living there, one will invariably meet and make friends with other people from there, and some of these connections will no doubt be invaluable in the future for opening doors, getting jobs, doing business, etc.

Old 11-12-2014, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Would jackass be a better term for you?

Well it's typically used on internet forums when another user disagrees with the other person to A. prove a point or 2. because they don't like them. Even if their point makes a ton of sense, that person will still disagree with them.

"Well the sky is blue."

"Oh actually it's not it's earl gray."

It's obnoxious.
ill let you choose what you want to call me, its not important to me. i just noticed that you are calling multiple people "contrarian" now so i felt like you may have recently learned the word and wish to use it. some people do a "word of the day" thing and maybe "contrarian" was your word of the day.

possibly you tend to encounter a lot of people that you consider contrarian but the reality is that you are wrong a lot and they are right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey