U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 07:28 PM

386 posts, read 820,718 times

Advertisements

I've heard a variety of definitions, and I'm trying to figure out which of these is the most accurate:

1. From North Jersey or New York
2. From anywhere without a 609 or 732 area code
3. From anywhere that isn't Monmouth, Ocean, Atlantic, or Cape May County
4. Anywhere that isn't a shore town

Are people from the Trenton area considered Benny's?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2013, 09:21 PM

1,247 posts, read 2,856,478 times
You know the Jersey Shore people are VERY territorial and act as though they own the place and dislike people from other areas vacationing in their neighborhoods. But the term "Benny" means people from the following areas:

Bayonne
Elizabeth
Newark
New
York

Old 07-28-2013, 09:49 PM

2,099 posts, read 3,298,997 times
I've met a few people over the years and the consensus is that anywhere AWAY from the shore is "Benny." That includes all of Northern New Jersey.

Old 07-29-2013, 01:49 AM

237 posts, read 453,973 times
Doesn't most of Monmouth County use the 732 area code?

Old 07-29-2013, 02:17 AM

1,171 posts, read 2,556,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HubCityMadMan View Post
You know the Jersey Shore people are VERY territorial and act as though they own the place and dislike people from other areas vacationing in their neighborhoods. But the term "Benny" means people from the following areas:

Bayonne
Elizabeth
Newark
New
York
I only use the term "Benny" either as a joke to my friends still up north (I myself was a Benny once and probably will be again at some point) or in seriousness to describe the incredibly rude and inconsiderate people that come down here in the summer with absolutely no regard for anyone but themselves. I have seen people with NY plates on a weekend in the summer throw trash out the window while driving (and I'm talking full bags of fast food remnants), I saw one guy honk at a little old lady and give her the finger because she didn't immediately step on the gas pedal when the light turned green turning into Shop Rite, people blasting high bass music that shakes my car next to them and I can't even discern WTF they're playing since the bass drowns everyone out at 1 am on a weeknight, etc. I nearly had a road rage incident a few weeks ago when I needed to make a right onto route 70 and then get into the far left lane to make a left. The locals around here normally let you merge in without a problem since they know what you're trying to do but this white trash looking a$$hole with PA plates very purposefully would not let me over. She started to let me over then sped up as she was looking right at me laughing and almost caused an accident. I actually started to follow her - it was the closest I ever came to beating the crap out of someone on the road - I lost my mind. She wasn't so tough then since she was trying to get away pretty fast. Luckily I thought about how she is not worth it and turned around or there would have been a serious confrontation that she no doubt would have lost. Those are the people we call Bennys when we're serious about the term. Most of the time it's in jest.

Old 07-29-2013, 05:56 AM

239 posts, read 346,113 times
There a Wikipedia entry on the origin of the term.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:06 AM

225 posts, read 682,467 times
Not sure on the exact definition, but it always struck me as someone not from the shore. I remember one time driving back home and some idiot had a sign up to all passing cars saying "Go home, Bennys."
Way to bite the hand that feeds your town's pockets during the summer.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:19 AM

12,546 posts, read 20,416,469 times
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benny_(slang)

Old 07-29-2013, 02:54 PM

77,276 posts, read 71,790,925 times
The term Benny long predates the 732 area code. I remember hearing it back when there was only 201 and 609.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:33 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,556,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
For some reason the link you posted is not working but here is what is states:

Benny is a derogatory term used by year-round residents of the Jersey Shore to describe rude, flashy, loud tourists from North Jersey and New York. Since local residents appreciate the tourists' economic contribution, the term "Benny" sometimes refers to only those unpleasant tourists that cut lines, drive recklessly, start fights, park on the wrong side of the street, harass women, or deliver other disrespect. Benny is actually an acronym for the tourists' origins of Bayonne, Elizabeth, Newark, and New York - and areas around them. One erroneous definition put forth by some is that it is short for benefactors for the money they spend at the shore. Most local residents have never believed this definition

Which is exactly how I use the term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey