Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 02:15 PM

2,535 posts, read 6,664,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
The mayor responded and said to file a complain with NJ department of consumer affairs. and he also sent me the BP corporate # (municipal clerk experienced the same thing).
Weights and Measures is a division of Consumer Affairs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 02:19 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,993,806 times
BP's are all franchised, But from what I've heard BP Corp. holds them to very high standards. I would notify BP about it. It sound like it might be a rogue employee.

Old 07-30-2013, 02:22 PM

2,535 posts, read 6,664,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
BP's are all franchised, But from what I've heard BP Corp. holds them to very high standards. I would notify BP about it. It sound like it might be a rogue employee.
I doubt it's a rogue employee. Overcharging on a credit card leaves quite a paper trail and it would be hard for a regular employee to back it out of the system and actually turn that credit into cash, even a really crafty one. Now for an owner it would flow through the system easily as pure profit.

Old 07-30-2013, 02:43 PM

800 posts, read 1,296,435 times
Quote:
It's the BP on Northfield Ave by Turtle Back Zoo. A few people reported this on a yahoo group (west orange water cooler), and I had gone a few times before and didn't recall noticing anything. The station is the cheapest in the area by a decent amount. So I was on alert from those emails and i looked at the pump when he was done pumping. $71.32. They have old pumps, so he takes your card into the station and swipes then brings your receipt. Receipt said $76.32. I was very disappointed. Guy seems nice. It's possible to be a fat-finger error, but highly unlikely given where 1 and 6 are on a keypad.
$71??? 20+ gallon tank?

Old 07-30-2013, 02:57 PM

131 posts, read 273,994 times
Thanks for the heads up. I have never even heard of such a thing, but I always do check the amount on the machine and I always pay cash just because I'm naturally suspicious. I would definitely report to BP.

Old 07-30-2013, 03:00 PM

2,257 posts, read 5,185,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penga25 View Post
$71??? 20+ gallon tank?
That's not the point of this thread. But yes, there are vehichles with 30+ gallon fuel tank capacity.

Old 07-30-2013, 03:03 PM

2,257 posts, read 5,185,759 times
Quote:
It's the BP on Northfield Ave by Turtle Back Zoo. A few people reported this on a yahoo group (west orange water cooler), and I had gone a few times before and didn't recall noticing anything. The station is the cheapest in the area by a decent amount. So I was on alert from those emails and i looked at the pump when he was done pumping. $71.32. They have old pumps, so he takes your card into the station and swipes then brings your receipt. Receipt said $76.32. I was very disappointed. Guy seems nice. It's possible to be a fat-finger error, but highly unlikely given where 1 and 6 are on a keypad.
Yes, that does seem intentional. When you confronted him and asked for the $5 difference, what was his reaction? Did he seem genuinely sorry or was it more like being caught? If I were you, just for the fun of it, I would go there for gas again after a few days and see if he repeats.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:57 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,681,416 times
On a similar topic another thing I noticed recently is that a Lukoil station by me on rte 70 has same price cash or credit but when I looked closely at my credit receipt they put it through as a cash advance so check you receipts - never going there again.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:02 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,395,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penga25 View Post
$71??? 20+ gallon tank?
18.5 gallons. was running on fumes. car takes premium gas unfortunately, so $3.87/gallon,

Old 07-30-2013, 09:03 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,395,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdstyles View Post
I doubt it's a rogue employee. Overcharging on a credit card leaves quite a paper trail and it would be hard for a regular employee to back it out of the system and actually turn that credit into cash, even a really crafty one. Now for an owner it would flow through the system easily as pure profit.
i'm thinking the same thing. how could an employee pocket the extra money, unless he pockets cash from cash sales? maybe with the old pumps it's primitive enough to just know total sales at the end of the night, and not individual transactions? i dunno...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey