Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 05:10 PM

2,257 posts, read 5,186,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
If they are coming here for jobs, they speak English.

That is no excuse, IMO.

Read the OP, it's written in near-perfect English.

I'm just tired of being insulted in this manner. Every single one of these 'moving from India' posts asks the same question "where's the Indian community?"

Our jobs and money are good enough; Americans aren't. Mustn't MINGLE, oh, the horror!

And, yes. I take it personally.
If parents speak English, it does not equate to their 4 year speaking English. You don't seem to know social and education system of non-English native speaking countries. The kid may very well not speak fluent English until he is 8 or 9.

Going by my personal experience, my niece who was born and raised outside US didn't speak a word of English until she was 6 even though her parents are fluent in English.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 05:57 PM

248 posts, read 674,212 times
Quote:

That is no excuse, IMO.

I'm just tired of being insulted in this manner. Every single one of these 'moving from India' posts asks the same question "where's the Indian community?"

Our jobs and money are good enough; Americans aren't. Mustn't MINGLE, oh, the horror!

I think you are overreacting. First thing people look for in a strange country is someone they can relate to. Are you seriously expecting someone to move halfway across the planet and just completely assimilate in the 'American' culture from day one??

You do realize Europeans did the same thing a century ago when they immigrated in masses to the US right? Its called human nature.

Stop being so ignorant.

Old 08-01-2013, 06:15 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,642,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
Social discrimination happens, even at the elementary school level. I had two friends in elementary school whose parents wouldn't let me come over and play or let them come over and play because I wasn't a Christian(although they did let a mutual friend of ours who was Jewish do so, something I didn't really understand as a kid). However, the rock throwing, Temple of Doom/Simpsons(Apu)/curry jokes, and physical bullying didn't start until middle school. Growing up, I was actually quite envious of my cousins who grew up around more Indians and seemed to have tons of friends.

No one wants their kid growing up being an outcast(except for my parents!).
So, Indians coming to America for the money must hear real horror stories.

That's too bad that you experienced discrimination. But, I'm sure you had other friends in school; pointing out two makes it just that..two.

My Indian neighbor used to hurry her son into the house if my daughter happened to go outside to read a book. As if my daughter was going to DO something to her son. ??? Another rushes by my house and peeks around trees to see if I am outside.??? What the 'ell? Won't speak to me; looks at me as if I'm a devil or something.

In any case, it is very insulting to me to see these posts. They don't have to come here and act as if they are the crown of creation.

This is America. We welcome immigrants. We expect that immigrants come here because they have the same values and want to assimilate into American culture. That is what previous immigrants did, however, it seems that some immigrants only want the jobs and money; the status; the big house to brag about to their friends and family back in India; their 'land'. To see and hear people coming here and pretending that they are somehow better than the people that give them jobs and offer them a chance to better their lives (I don't know any other reason for them to come) kinda makes me ill. I'm talking from experience. I work in an engineering firm and there are quite a few Indian engineers (men and women). I interact with them all the time. Three of my neighbors are Indian. I am only second generation American. My grandmother came here from Poland and my mother was born here. In the neighborhood I grew up in there were many immigrants from different countries; most of the parents didn't speak very good English, but all the kids did (of course). So, I have nothing against immigrants as long as they don't look down on me and pretend that they are better than me. Doesn't work in America, and if they hold onto that attitude then there will most likely be some flak to be absorbed.

I don't want to sound as if I think any ethnicity should give up their traditions, religion, whatever. Just don't act like Americans aren't good enough to MINGLE with. I've been around a lot of Indians; I'd say 99% of them assume this attitude. My daughter had quite a few Indian friends in high school, also. I've heard lots of stories!!!!! LOL

In closing (haha) I would like to say that the men handle the move to America a thousand percent better than the women.

Old 08-01-2013, 06:25 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,642,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DP1987 View Post
I think you are overreacting. First thing people look for in a strange country is someone they can relate to. Are you seriously expecting someone to move halfway across the planet and just completely assimilate in the 'American' culture from day one??

No, of course not. However, living amongst the same people does not facilitate assimilation. Only allowing ones children to play with children of the same ethnicity does not facilitate assimilation. Teaching children that they are better than Americans also does not facilitate assimilation.

You do realize Europeans did the same thing a century ago when they immigrated in masses to the US right? Its called human nature.

Yep. However, they did not assume an attitude that said "I'm better than you". They were actually GRATEFUL to be in America.

Stop being so ignorant.
I'm not ignorant. I'm actually very knowledgeable.

Old 08-01-2013, 06:30 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,127,429 times
Quote:
I suppose this shouldn't bother me, but it does.

Your son cannot make friends with American children?

The pure audacity of the quoted statement is unbelievable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
I thought the same thing.
It's believable. India is a highly racist country.

Old 08-01-2013, 06:42 PM

696 posts, read 906,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
It's believable. India is a highly racist country.
They not be coming as emigrants; but rather as a guest worker (H-1B visa) and an ineligible-to-work spouse (H4 visa). If the plan is to come over and work for 3 - 6 years before returning home, it makes sense they want to keep their child from assimilating into a culture he will eventually leave. Seldom works out that way though.

Old 08-01-2013, 07:17 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,203,415 times
You guys realize that English is an official language of India, and everyone in India is expected to learn it?

Old 08-01-2013, 07:18 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,677,303 times
Quote:

That is no excuse, IMO.

haha yeah you take it "personally?" get over it. if he doesn't want his kids mingling with the white devil, that's his choice. parents should do whatever they think is best for their children regardless of whether or not its politically correct.

Old 08-01-2013, 07:33 PM

696 posts, read 906,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
You guys realize that English is an official language of India, and everyone in India is expected to learn it?
Not true. India has 22 officially recognized languages and only 10% of the population can speak English.

Old 08-01-2013, 08:02 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,127,429 times
They're in Pune. It's one of the more advanced cities in India. At 4 years of age, he's had some exposure to English and will have more in School.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey