Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 10:12 PM

157 posts, read 228,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjanet View Post
Do you want to start a new thread so we can get a better idea of what you are looking for? Look at the sticky at the top of the forum...budget, number of bedrooms, length of commute, type of community/town, schools important, etc?
no, no budget, jus askin in general
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 07:32 AM

12 posts, read 25,295 times
Thank you NJBest. I will keep West Windsor in mind (I wish it would be a little closer to NYC...)

Old 08-02-2013, 10:20 AM

1,620 posts, read 3,774,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InkBamboo View Post
Thank you NJBest. I will keep West Windsor in mind (I wish it would be a little closer to NYC...)
also keep in mind the wait for a parking post at the train stations. Is it still 5+ years for WW or did the new lots open and make it better. Most "good" towns (discuss and debate) have multi year waits.

You are in the same boat as a ton of other people. You need to make a list and the go through the list a 2nd and 3rd time deciding what you are willing to cut back on. At $400K, you will probably not get everything you want

Old 08-02-2013, 08:26 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofagunk View Post
also keep in mind the wait for a parking post at the train stations. Is it still 5+ years for WW or did the new lots open and make it better. Most "good" towns (discuss and debate) have multi year waits.

You are in the same boat as a ton of other people. You need to make a list and the go through the list a 2nd and 3rd time deciding what you are willing to cut back on. At $400K, you will probably not get everything you want
That's why I mentioned the Hamilton train station. It's 10 minutes away and the parking does not fill up. A great alternative while waiting for a spot. There's a plan to build more parking that's been hopping around.

Old 08-03-2013, 07:06 AM

512 posts, read 1,018,462 times
West Windsor and Hamilton are an hour away (on good days) from Penn but getting to the Flatiron District will take you well over that 1 hour threshold. I would still go with closer in towns for three reasons.

1. With the way NJT has been operating over the last 10 years being closer in gives you more options when things get screwed up (happens more than you think). Flooding, Derails, Wire downs, Broken trains, power outages, canceled trains, snow storms, heat waves, and more happen that totally f-up NJT.... especially trains heading to Penn Station.

2. When someone says here the schools are decent but not great they are probably judging from a list where the difference between the best school district in the state and number 50 or even 100 is small. Remember there are more than 566 school districts in the state and the State has the best school systems in the country (hence high property taxes). Parents and friends probably make more of a difference than school district.

3. I know someone who bought a 2 bedroom condo in South Orange (new construction) for 260K just last month in the downtown area (good area of town). Plus trains also go to Hoboken, the Path is not too far away, and there are buses.

Old 08-03-2013, 07:40 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InkBamboo View Post
Thank you! Is there a train stop for Fair Lawn?
Two, Radburn and Broadway.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:51 AM

12 posts, read 25,295 times
sonofagunk, stuckinsj, Mightyqueen801 Thank you for taking the time out to answer this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey