Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 09:47 AM

3 posts, read 7,904 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I am a SWF in my mid-20s and I just signed a lease 4 blocks from the Liberty State Park light rail station in the Communipaw neighborhood. I noticed the condos nearby and proximity to downtown and (perhaps wrongly) thought it would be a fairly safe area. When I researched the area online it seemed like there are a lot of new buyers in the area and I took that to mean the neighborhood is getting safer. But so far 3 cab drivers have told me that I should not live in this area and one offered to help me find another apartment!

The landlord told me this neighborhood was safer than Crown Heights, my neighborhood in Brooklyn. I am used to being in Crown Heights and Bed-Sty at night and walk home from the Franklin Ave train until 2am and feel OK. I have never had an incident with anyone in Brooklyn. I lived in Chicago before and never had a problem. I didn't think this area in Jersey would be so dangerous. But if it is, please let me know. The apartment is a good deal and not on the ground floor. I already sank close to 3,000 into rent and deposit so walking away now would be difficult but not impossible.

If it's on par with Crown Heights or Bed-Sty that's cool. So please let me know if you think this area is on par with these neighborhoods in Brooklyn or neighborhoods like the South Side of Chicago that are gang-ridden.

Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 10:05 AM

123 posts, read 236,549 times
I've lived in JC all my life, save for a few years here and there for school. I personally would not want to live in that area. The main problem (aside from crime) is that it feels very desolate at night. There's not really much going on after 7 pm, so if you are walking home from the light rail at midnight, you will likely be one of the only people on the streets.

The apartment might seem like a good deal, but it's only because of the neighborhood it is in. I know there are a lot of new and refurbed condos in that area, and they were priced very competitively vs. the going rate elsewhere in JC (2 BR condo in the $150K's range). Even at that price, I personally wouldn't live there.

Is the area the wild west at night? No, I don't think so. But it is definitely among the highest risk as far as JC neighborhoods go.

Old 08-02-2013, 10:57 AM

3 posts, read 7,904 times
Thanks for your response, shadowsjc. Anyone else?

My main interest is in figuring out if the area is much edgier than Bed-Sty, Crown Heights, Bushwick, etc. I feel comfortable in those areas even though some people may not. It seems like Communipaw needs some businesses open at night--that would help a lot. A coffee shop or even grocery store. But that aside, what do other people think?

Old 08-02-2013, 12:33 PM

256 posts, read 572,712 times
I don't think it's much worse than any of those. Same deal...there are those luxury condos (The Foundry IIRC?) and then behind that it gets kind of sketchy.

I would be leery of going much west of that. The area south of Communipaw east of the West Side is pretty much universally recognized as the worst part of the city.

If you want near-guaranteed safety (which you don't seem to require) you want to be east of 78 (typically zip 07310 or 07302).

Old 08-02-2013, 02:32 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,804,491 times
IMO, you'll be much safer in JC than Crown Heights or Bed Stuy.

Old 08-04-2013, 01:59 PM

551 posts, read 1,187,353 times
gabby I live in JC Heights, i would not recommend that area due to a prominent gang based in that area and the increased amount of activity (esp check out NJ.com articles) have you looked into the Heights? Much much safer, great JSQ transportation on all sides, and alot of rentals.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:46 PM

576 posts, read 1,596,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabby88 View Post
Thanks for your response, shadowsjc. Anyone else?

My main interest is in figuring out if the area is much edgier than Bed-Sty, Crown Heights, Bushwick, etc. I feel comfortable in those areas even though some people may not. It seems like Communipaw needs some businesses open at night--that would help a lot. A coffee shop or even grocery store. But that aside, what do other people think?
I wouldnt say its any worse than those neighborhoods but its definitely dangerous and you will more than likely be miserable there. There is little to no "gentrification" in any area of JC aside from the 07302/07310 zips. If you can replace your coffee shops and book stores with checks cashed /liquor store/ chicken joints then maybe you'd enjoy it. There are MUCH safer/better option in NJ. Good luck and stay safe

Old 08-04-2013, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonorityGenius View Post
gabby I live in JC Heights, i would not recommend that area due to a prominent gang based in that area and the increased amount of activity (esp check out NJ.com articles) have you looked into the Heights? Much much safer, great JSQ transportation on all sides, and alot of rentals.
She is a single female , why would she want to live in the Heights? I'm convinced you own there. In which case I digress, we all need to make $. At least Bushwick has a 20's-30's scene going on over there.

Old 08-05-2013, 12:15 AM

Also not to sounds rude but if cab drivers are trying to talk you out of living in the neighborhood , shouldnt that be a huge red flag?

Old 08-05-2013, 08:22 AM

351 posts, read 481,805 times
If I was a single attractive female I would not live anywhere near that area. On the other hand, if I was butch and had some big dogs it could work (especially if you want to be a gentrification pioneer). If you are interested in Jersey City, I strongly recommend downtown. You can find cheaper rents between Barrow and Monmouth. I feel even those areas are sketch, but Communipaw is at another level. There is a reason people have steel bars covering the whole porch. Another part of downtown that might be affordable are apartments on sussex or grand in the paulus hook section.

Comparing to Chicago, I would say that area is probably on par with the south side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey