Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2013, 10:15 AM

292 posts, read 718,831 times

Advertisements

All of our U.S. Senate hopefuls this year are bad candidates for different reasons;

Mayor Cory Booker - While Mayor Booker is to be commended for his record in fighting crime and reforming education in the city of Newark, Booker all too often stands up for the welfare state; he doesn't want to demonize folks on food stamps, a program which is necessary for some but abused by too many, he supports the student loan scheme the federal government runs, he supports the Affordable Care Act which is going to increase health care costs and it'll cost us jobs, and he plays the class warfare game. Still, he's probably the lesser of the evils in this race, and I do believe he is a good person.

Congressman Rush Holt - In an effort to win over liberals, Congressman Rush Holt has proposed passing cap and trade, a scheme to raise taxes on business, and he's proposed a "speculation tax" on Wall Street. Mr. Holt's contempt for the free market, and his opposition to keeping Americans safe with the Patriot Act and other homeland security policies, shows he's a radical leftist out of touch with most Americans and he doesn't have our interests at heart. He's also a bit arrogant with the whole "I beat the computer at Jeopardy" thing being used in tv ads, but given his abysmal record in congress, I don't blame him for running on that.

Congressman Frank Pallone - Frank Pallone is bragging that he stood up to the tea party to protect social security (a ponzai scheme) but Mr. Pallone has joined with the radical left in supporting the Affordable Care Act, the stimulus, and other policies which have led to the economic decline we've been experiencing over the past half decade.

Assembly Speaker Shelia Oliver - Shelia Oliver's entire premise is that we need to send a woman to Washington D.C. While I personally believe that we need more women in leadership positions, it has to be merit based, not just for the sake of making history.

Former Mayor Steve Lonegan - Mayor Lonegan claims to be the "New Jersey Conservative" but as a candidate for Governor in 2009, Lonegan's tax plan, a flat tax proposal, featured a tax increase on 50-70% of New Jersey taxpayers. Lonegan also echoed the sentiments of the ACLU, saying he wouldn't mind letting GITMO terrorists be tried in New Jersey courts. Today, Lonegan stands up against homeland security policies implemented by the George W. Bush administration which have kept us safe. He also is quite loose with the facts; he once said Governor Christie planned on implementing cap and trade. Christie never said so, and opposed regional cap and trade. It seems Lonegan can't get over his embarrassing loss to Christie from the 2009 gubernatorial primary. Lonegan has run for office several times, and he's lost several times. As Mayor of Bogota, he did a decent job, but he also raised taxes some years. Lonegan also said he'd have voted NO on Sandy Relief.

Doctor Alieta Eck - While Dr. Eck is the better GOP candidate, and while there can be no doubt about her compassion and grace as a person, she has echoed similar sentiments to Steve Lonegan on homeland security policies. Furthermore, her only main issue in the U.S. Senate race is repealing Obamcare, which is a key issue, but there are others as well. She also said she'd have voted NO on Sandy Relief.

So, here is my ranking from least bad to worst in this race for U.S. Senate;
1A. Doctor Alieta Eck
1B. Mayor Cory Booker
3.Assembly Speaker Shelia Oliver
4.Congressman Frank Pallone
5. Former Mayor Steve Lonegan
6. Congressman Rush Holt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2013, 07:41 PM

328 posts, read 1,049,629 times
I think the ACA is a huge issue and I really like the idea of having a doctor (who has read the entire law) in Congress. We need people who understand medicine to help form policy and laws on healthcare. I also personally think we need a non-career politician. I'm currently behind Alieta Eck.

But I will say that I like Cory Booker. I can't agree with all his views but I just find him to be a very likable guy.

Old 08-03-2013, 09:01 PM

20,330 posts, read 19,925,039 times
I wish we could elect someone who will do a better job of sending all that Federal pork our way.

Lautenberg seemed more interested in teliing other states how to do things than looking out for us.

We need someone to fight for NJ.

Old 08-04-2013, 09:26 AM

45 posts, read 81,478 times
We need a conservative to couterbalance the overwhelming liberal tilt here in NJ.
Face it, NJ has a massive overhead of state, county, local, and school district employees.
Since NJ can't print money, the only solution is to cut spending, otherwise as taxes rise more and more productive people will leave the state, and the "takers" will stay.
As long as people ignorantly believe that government creates wealth, rather than forcibly redistributing it from one group to another by threat of force, the worse it's going to get.'
NJ gets by from having corporate headquarters and Wall St jobs. As costs rise here, these jobs relocate to Penna or points south.
Thank God for Christie for restoring some sanity but not putting in place long term solutions.
Lonegan , now more than ever.

Old 08-04-2013, 09:40 AM

386 posts, read 872,117 times
Holt will get it done, but won't get elected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey