U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2013, 01:45 PM

2 posts, read 1,498 times

Advertisements

This might seem like an asinine question, but my brain overanalyzes everything and I'm a tad bit confused.

So, on MVC's website it says that you can have: <b>"Only one additional passenger...unless accompanied by a parent or guardian."</b> Does that mean if I have my mother sitting in the front seat, I can have as many of my friends in my car as I can legally fit, or am I only allowed <i>one</i> on my friends in the car at a time, period.

Please save your nasty comments for someone else because I've seen some of the threads on here and some of you are quite rude to people with actual and legitimate question. So thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2013, 01:56 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,240,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by de_meolaaa View Post
This might seem like an asinine question, but my brain overanalyzes everything and I'm a tad bit confused.

So, on MVC's website it says that you can have: <b>"Only one additional passenger...unless accompanied by a parent or guardian."</b> Does that mean if I have my mother sitting in the front seat, I can have as many of my friends in my car as I can legally fit, or am I only allowed <i>one</i> on my friends in the car at a time, period.

Please save your nasty comments for someone else because I've seen some of the threads on here and some of you are quite rude to people with actual and legitimate question. So thanks!

I understand your confusion, having gone through this process with my own child recently. GDL rules state that one passenger at a time allowed in the car unless a parent is in the car. Then, the GDL holder can have one additional. (parent +1) I have heard from another parent that they had no issue when stopped and the occupants of the car was the driver (w/GDL), a parent (In front passenger seat) and two of the drivers siblings occupying the back seat, though that may have been at the discretion of the officer at the time.

HTH
KoalaNJ

Old 08-03-2013, 02:08 PM

16,833 posts, read 16,464,887 times
You can have as many as can legally fit if your parent is with you.

You can also subtract anyone else who lives at your address, like siblings from the +1. For example my sister and daughter could drive each other plus one friend.

Old 02-26-2019, 06:52 PM

3 posts, read 3,892 times
wondering if this still holds true in 2019?

Old 03-03-2019, 09:35 PM

23 posts, read 14,732 times
Default Just grabbed this from- www.state.nj.us

*You must observe the following restrictions during the six- month supervised driving period if you are under 21 years of age:

Display a reflectorized decal on each license plate (front/back); decals available at motor vehicle agencies, $4 per pair.
No driving after 11:01 p.m. and before 5:00 a.m.
You must be accompanied in the front seat by an adult supervising driver who is at least 21 years of age, and who possesses a valid New Jersey driver’s license, and has a minimum of three years driving experience.
Parent(s), guardian(s) or dependant(s) are allowed as passengers. A dependant is a permit or probationary driver's child, not siblings.
Only one additional passenger is allowed unless accompanied by a parent or guardian.
You cannot use cell phones, hand held video games or any other hands-free interactive, wireless communication device.
Seat belts must be worn at all times.
GDL Exemptions for hours-related exemptions for employment or religious reasons are as follows:
Permit and probationary drivers under 21 are eligible for hours-related exemptions for employment or religious reasons
Drivers must carry legible documentation on letterhead signed by the employer, organization or religious institution stating the reasons for this request
Include signature, title, address and telephone number of designated official
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey