Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2013, 09:54 PM

2 posts, read 2,708 times

Advertisements

Moving from Maine to NJ after being here for 4 years...finally heading home!

So I'm trying to AVOID highways/bridges (GW, TZ, etc). So far my BEST bet seems to be going from Maine across Mass and then down through PA past Scranton and across the Walt Whitman to SNJ.

I know I see lots of NJ plates here in ME so someone has to have some suggestions! Bringing a decent sized U-Haul hauling my SUV behind it so space is needed and I am terrified of bridges, especially the GW!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 10:42 PM

5,767 posts, read 16,505,817 times
Avoiding highways can be done, but just so you know you are making a 6 hour trip into an 11 hour trip.

You don't need to go west into PA much either, that involves highways and adds a bit longer mileage.

It all depends if you want to avoid highways or just bridges.

You didn't mention where to where so i just picked Portland Maine to Mt Laurel NJ for kicks.

Check a few map suggestions here:
This is the standard crowded everybody up and down the east coast I-95 route:

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=P...mra=ls&t=m&z=7

Now if you click on "Show Options" and check "Avoid Highways" you get:

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=P...mra=ls&t=m&z=7

That one takes you over the Kingston Rhinecliff Bridge to cross the Hudson River. I haven't been up that way in a while but the bridge a bit North of that looks shorter to me on the map.

Depending on how much j\highway you want to avoid, you may pick something like this route or similar (looks like you can cross the river around Troy NY):

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=P...=1,2,3&t=m&z=7

Almost any combination is possible but if you want to avoid highways you will be on the road about twice as long as taking the main interstates. Some of the smaller state highways in NorthWest NJ can get a bit hilly and twisty. Give us your start and end points and what you are thinking of.

Old 08-04-2013, 10:46 PM

Just noticed on the middle map there are 3 suggested routings.

Also on the last map I would change the routing through NJ a bit to avoid the crowded NJ TurnPike and suggest something like this:

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=P...,2,3,4&t=m&z=9

Old 08-04-2013, 10:49 PM

Just for kicks I clicked avoid tolls and got a 10 hour route this way:
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=P...,2,3,4&t=m&z=8

Old 08-05-2013, 07:01 AM

208 posts, read 466,190 times
Just be careful with your height and weight of your Uhaul. We have a 35 foot RV, around 7 tons and when we take it on the road we always have look out for overpass heights (it's 12'7"). If you are not taking the regular routes that truckers take (highways) you may encounter low overpasses and weight limitations on smaller bridges. Even if you are going on off peak hours, I would avoid the greater NYC area. We used to go to Louden NH often and HATED the 95 route. You can take 84 to cross the husdon then take 87 down through NY into NJ. It's better than driving through NYC. I didn't look at anyone else's suggestion but this might be a better alternative yes still on the highway that's not too crazy like the GW. I hate driving through that area.

Old 08-05-2013, 07:11 AM

19,045 posts, read 25,133,775 times
I strongly suggest that you avoid the Cross-Westchester "Expressway", and the Tappan Zee Bridge, and that you also avoid the GW Bridge. The Cross-Westchester Expressway is a highly-congested road at peak travel times, and, on more than one occasion, I have spent over an hour to traverse 20 miles of it. Then, you come to the Tappan Zee, which is undergoing work, thus adding to the problems.

Essentially, this means taking I-84 West to the NY Thruway. Then, you can take the Thruway directly into I-287 South in NJ, and use 287 to connect with either the Parkway or the Turnpike. Even if this route involves more miles, it avoids a lot of incredible congestion in NY state, and thus should save you some time, as well as eliminating some hair-pulling traffic situations.

Old 08-05-2013, 07:39 AM

23,318 posts, read 17,004,800 times
Hamilton fish bridge
NY thruway
287S

Do it often with canoes on top. The GW is a terror in the wind with canoes. Ham Fish is somehow better in the wind.

Can sub 84 with 90 all the way to the NY thruway.

Time diff is not much especially when traffic is involved. I prefer this as a more gentle ride if there is such a thing. CT is the worst part of that trip.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:51 AM

2 posts, read 2,708 times
I am coming from Augusta Maine to Somerdale NJ so Portland to Mount Laurel was pretty close to what I needed!

I get that I am adding on quite a few hours. I made the drive in 7.5 hours once over the GW: No traffic ANYWHERE through NY to Boston, it was great. We've found routes that take us west across Maine, into NJ then VT, then south but I'm thinking there had to be an easier way. I have been to Port Jervis, NY (where NY NJ PA meet in the corner) and Binghamton, so I was trying to combine directions of what I already know, hence why I came up with a lot of PA travel time.

The U-Haul is 17' long with a car trailer (not a tow dolly). I didn't think of the overpass issue. Thank you for mentioning that!

Old 08-05-2013, 09:22 AM

Something like this might work for you:
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=A...,2,3,4&t=m&z=6

And a slightly different routing through NJ using medium grade highways avoiding single lane US 206, basically I-287 to River Road to NJ 18 US1 to US130, etc:

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=A...,2,3,4&t=m&z=8

Old 08-06-2013, 06:30 AM

208 posts, read 466,190 times
Just do not take the Parkway. Truck are not allowed on anything that says "parkway" nor trailers I don't think... at least in NY, no trailers are allowed. On the Garden State Parkway, trailers are allowed (we have taken our RV) but no trucks. You could get in trouble. Turpike is ok - can get congested around exit 7-8 ish. Good luck! Just watch the height on small roads. I've seen it happen OFTEN. If it does happen, deflate the tires - to see if you can under the bridge, but then you want to make sure you have an air compression on hand to re-inflate it, or just keep you eyes out and don't hit any overpasses. I'm hyper aware when we have our RV b/c it's HUGE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: