Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 01:07 PM

4 posts, read 13,356 times

Advertisements

I just moved to Montclair from the Princeton area and I was wondering if there were any other lively, cool downtown areas that are similar to Princeton besides the one near Church Street in Montclair. I love when there is a variety of one-of-a-kind restaurants with great food and bars/pubs/hookah lounges to hang out at all night.

Although Montclair's 2 downtown areas I have seen are amazing and I still need to explore them, I would like to have a few more options that are a half hour or less drive away. The fact that every place is basically BYOB is a bit annoying at times.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2013, 01:25 PM

267 posts, read 352,116 times
you're going to find most places are BYOB with a liquor store not far away. Personally I prefer BYOB becasue i dont end up with a huge liquor bill at the end of the night. South Orange has an ok downtown area with some decent restaurants. Montclair is my go to for just walking around downtown and grabbing a bite to eat. But once you settle in you'll find all sorts of great restaurants and bars in most of the surrounding towns.

Old 08-05-2013, 02:15 PM

2,535 posts, read 6,666,272 times
Morristown would be my #2

Old 08-05-2013, 02:25 PM

Wow I didn't realize Morristown was so close to me now!

Thanks!

Any other suggestions for some good towns?

Old 08-05-2013, 02:27 PM

390 posts, read 1,367,262 times
Outside of Church Street there's a few new places with liquor licenses in Montclair: Upstairs, 12 West, and Pig and Prince. Walnut Street has a few new coffee shops and cafes that have opened up also, and Egan and Sons has a license. Don't forget The Orange Squirrel in Bloomfield either.

Old 08-05-2013, 03:51 PM

Great! Thank you very much for your suggestions

Old 08-05-2013, 04:05 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,453,926 times
I'd also check out Lambertville and Somerville. Lambertville has some wonderful "boutique" restaurants as well as a nice walkable downtown area filled with interesting shops, plus you can also hop over the bridge to New Hope and all it has to offer. Somerville is really coming back with a revitalized downtown area. I was there over a recent weekend trying a new (to me) restaurant and the whole downtown area was packed with plenty of people. It was a nice mix of families, couples and singles. They even closed off a small side street and set up a stage where they had a few bands performing. I am told they do that most every summer weekend. Almost all of the restaurants and cafe's have outdoor seating.

KoalaNJ

OOPs, I read the OP incorrectly as moved from Montclair to Princeton....sry

Old 08-05-2013, 04:15 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,453,926 times
Nutley has some wonderful restaurants, as does Caldwell/W Caldwell and Clifton. All have small walkable downtowns worth checking out.

KoalaNJ

Old 08-05-2013, 09:21 PM

385 posts, read 1,175,620 times
montclair and morristown are great, i live in the south orange area, there are some good restaurants but it is nothing like morristown and montclair.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:00 AM

1,947 posts, read 3,322,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess7211 View Post
I just moved to Montclair from the Princeton area and I was wondering if there were any other lively, cool downtown areas that are similar to Princeton besides the one near Church Street in Montclair. I love when there is a variety of one-of-a-kind restaurants with great food and bars/pubs/hookah lounges to hang out at all night.

Although Montclair's 2 downtown areas I have seen are amazing and I still need to explore them, I would like to have a few more options that are a half hour or less drive away. The fact that every place is basically BYOB is a bit annoying at times.

Thanks!
Use to live in Motown. It is a very nice downtown. For the past year I've been living in Jersey City and enjoy it more than Motown. It is more interesting and better food options. Recommend the following for you to try in the JC if you venture out of Montclair:

Satis Bistro (Satis Bistro | Salumeria & European-Style Café in Paulus Hook, Jersey City)
Orale (Orale Mexican Kitchen)
Edwards Steakhouse (Edward's Steakhouse - Jersey City - Home)
Lighhorse Tavern (Light Horse Tavern - Welcome)
Thirty Acres (http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/24/ny...rsey-city.html)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey