Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 02:15 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,988,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg22 View Post
i check webpage then found out Princeton Junction to New York Penn Station on weekend so slow. need to take about 80 mins to Penn station. Is there any other faster/express train in weekend from Princeton junction?

thanks so much
IMO NJ Transit trains make far too many stops in general, really slowing down the trip. I take the NE Corridor Line from Linden to NY Penn and it takes nearly an hour. Why? Within about 20 miles, it stops in Elizabeth, North Elizabeth, Newark Airport, Newark Penn, and Secaucus before finally arriving in NY Penn. The brian barely has time to speed up because it stops so much in a short period. NJ Transit Princeton Junction to NY Penn is on this same line, with more stops in between it and Linden plus those additional I listed after Linden on the way to NYC. It's frustrating. I get that NJ is dense with a lot of commuters and city visitors but I wish there were express trains or they cut down on the number of stops. End rant, hehe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 01:20 PM

107 posts, read 189,011 times
agree with you. so how can we do to make them less stop or have a real express train?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
IMO NJ Transit trains make far too many stops in general, really slowing down the trip. I take the NE Corridor Line from Linden to NY Penn and it takes nearly an hour. Why? Within about 20 miles, it stops in Elizabeth, North Elizabeth, Newark Airport, Newark Penn, and Secaucus before finally arriving in NY Penn. The brian barely has time to speed up because it stops so much in a short period. NJ Transit Princeton Junction to NY Penn is on this same line, with more stops in between it and Linden plus those additional I listed after Linden on the way to NYC. It's frustrating. I get that NJ is dense with a lot of commuters and city visitors but I wish there were express trains or they cut down on the number of stops. End rant, hehe.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg22 View Post
agree with you. so how can we do to make them less stop or have a real express train?

No idea but I'm sure it'd be a headache and a massive project that would take months, cause further delays, and take a lot of our money.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:09 PM

2,257 posts, read 5,187,812 times
Quote:
I am sure each one who takes the train wishes the train wouldn't stop until it reaches their destination. It is called "public" transportation for a reason!

Old 08-08-2013, 08:21 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,141,127 times
Quote:
I'm guessing you wouldn't be thrilled if they eliminated your stop.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenj08 View Post
I am sure each one who takes the train wishes the train wouldn't stop until it reaches their destination. It is called "public" transportation for a reason!
I understand, I just think it makes too many stops in too short of a distance, at least on the NE Corridor line. Maybe they could add more lines to the city, like for example making the Raritan Valley Line extend to NY Penn somehow? I would have no idea where to begin, obviously, I'm not an engineer but it would be great if they made access a bit easier. Many people living in the Raritan Valley region are city commuters and have to transfer in Newark or get there another way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I'm guessing you wouldn't be thrilled if they eliminated your stop.
Of course not, but that's not exactly what I'm saying. Does the NE Corridor Line really need to stop in Elizabeth twice, for example? It's not a bad drive from Linden to Elizabeth, they border each other!, they could cut it down to either one. I live in Cranford and drive to Linden to catch the NE Corridor Line for direct city access. If they eliminated Linden many people would be unhappy, same if they eliminated one or 2 Elizabeth stops, but I personally would drive to Elizabeth if it somehow made the ride quicker if Linden and the other Elizabeth stop was removed. That's all I'm saying. Six stops in about 20 miles or less is a little much, IMO. As I said, the train can barely speed up enough before it needs to stop again. The fastest it seems to go is under the Hudson from Secaucus to NY Penn, you can really feel the speed there.

I took the train from Linden to NY Penn, then one of the LIRR lines to the All Star Game at Citi Field, something I've done before, but I noticed how fast the LIRR train was going because it made only one stop before Citi Field. I remembered thinking that NJ Transit could go this fast if there were fewer stops and we'd get there quicker.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:13 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,210,835 times
NJ Transit messes with the stops all the time. For instance on the M&E they now have the 1% Express (NYP->Millburn, Short Hills, Summit) and the slow train for the rest of us (NYP->EO, Brick Church, Orange, Highland, Mountain, South Orange, Maplewood, Summit). But it used to be that the express stopped at Brick Church and South Orange and then hit all stops.

Old 08-10-2013, 11:17 AM

512 posts, read 1,018,345 times
Only two tracks into NYC from Jersey. On weekends Amtrak is doing maintenance on one of them. Christie cancelled the ARC tunnel. SO DEAL WITH IT> no more new trains.... the tunnel has reached its limit.

Old 08-10-2013, 11:56 AM

1,202 posts, read 3,029,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinsj View Post
Only two tracks into NYC from Jersey. On weekends Amtrak is doing maintenance on one of them. Christie cancelled the ARC tunnel. SO DEAL WITH IT> no more new trains.... the tunnel has reached its limit.
This.

Two tracks, that's it. Two tracks for Amtrak and NJ Transit.

It's a densely populated area with thousands of people all trying to get to the same place at the same time. Be happy we even have this level of mass transit options. Deal with it.

Old 08-10-2013, 12:15 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,999,317 times
Quote:
I understand, I just think it makes too many stops in too short of a distance, at least on the NE Corridor line. Maybe they could add more lines to the city, like for example making the Raritan Valley Line extend to NY Penn somehow? I would have no idea where to begin, obviously, I'm not an engineer but it would be great if they made access a bit easier. Many people living in the Raritan Valley region are city commuters and have to transfer in Newark or get there another way.
This is the one thing that concerns me with the proposed Camden-Glassboro rail line. It looks like it's going to have way too many stops, similar to how the NEC line is.

http://www.metro-magazine.com/images/articles/Map.jpg

I could only imagine how many stops it will be once the line is eventually extended to Millville, NJ. Like the Raritan Valley Line, commuters will have to transfer and board another train to get across the river.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey