Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 03:07 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,840,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
This is the one thing that concerns me with the proposed Camden-Glassboro rail line. It looks like it's going to have way too many stops, similar to how the NEC line is.

http://www.metro-magazine.com/images/articles/Map.jpg

I could only imagine how many stops it will be once the line is eventually extended to Millville, NJ. Like the Raritan Valley Line, commuters will have to transfer and board another train to get across the river.
Its a Diesel LRT so its supposed to have many stops...its not a regular commuter rail line...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 09:56 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,673,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
IMO NJ Transit trains make far too many stops in general, really slowing down the trip. I take the NE Corridor Line from Linden to NY Penn and it takes nearly an hour. Why? Within about 20 miles, it stops in Elizabeth, North Elizabeth, Newark Airport, Newark Penn, and Secaucus before finally arriving in NY Penn. The brian barely has time to speed up because it stops so much in a short period. NJ Transit Princeton Junction to NY Penn is on this same line, with more stops in between it and Linden plus those additional I listed after Linden on the way to NYC. It's frustrating. I get that NJ is dense with a lot of commuters and city visitors but I wish there were express trains or they cut down on the number of stops. End rant, hehe.
There ARE express trains, but since you're so close to the city to begin with, they don't benefit you. I'm on the NJCL, and my trains don't stop at the stations you mentioned because I take an express. If you've only got five or six stops to begin with, don't complain! You've already got a nice, short trip.

Old 08-11-2013, 12:58 PM

1,041 posts, read 3,011,342 times
Quote:
IMO NJ Transit trains make far too many stops in general, really slowing down the trip. I take the NE Corridor Line from Linden to NY Penn and it takes nearly an hour. Why? Within about 20 miles, it stops in Elizabeth, North Elizabeth, Newark Airport, Newark Penn, and Secaucus before finally arriving in NY Penn. The brian barely has time to speed up because it stops so much in a short period. NJ Transit Princeton Junction to NY Penn is on this same line, with more stops in between it and Linden plus those additional I listed after Linden on the way to NYC. It's frustrating. I get that NJ is dense with a lot of commuters and city visitors but I wish there were express trains or they cut down on the number of stops. End rant, hehe.
I hate when I'm on my NEC train and it stops at Linden. See how that works?

I wish NJTransit could just run express trains from every station. :rollseyes:

Old 08-11-2013, 08:41 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,974,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinsj View Post
Only two tracks into NYC from Jersey. On weekends Amtrak is doing maintenance on one of them. Christie cancelled the ARC tunnel. SO DEAL WITH IT> no more new trains.... the tunnel has reached its limit.
Deal with it? Deal with two tracks leading into a major hub when thousands of commuters, tourists, and day trippers enter into this hub? No thanks. We need some sort of change. As I said, I'm not an engineer, I don't know how to fix it, and I know it won't be easy or cheap, but something need to be done I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyStarksNJ View Post
I hate when I'm on my NEC train and it stops at Linden. See how that works?

I wish NJTransit could just run express trains from every station. :rollseyes:
Look, I get it. No need to get sarcastic. I know that it would be impossible at this point to cut stations, I'm just saying that IMO it makes too many stops in a short distance. That is all.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
There ARE express trains, but since you're so close to the city to begin with, they don't benefit you. I'm on the NJCL, and my trains don't stop at the stations you mentioned because I take an express. If you've only got five or six stops to begin with, don't complain! You've already got a nice, short trip.
I understand. I just think it makes a lot of stops. As I said, it takes nearly an hour from Linden without factoring in train traffic which you hit quite frequently. Sometimes I wish getting into the city was easier considering how close it is, but it being an island hinders travel time. You know what I mean?

Old 08-11-2013, 10:57 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,122,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg22 View Post
is there any express train ?
On the weekends, there are semi-express trains that are only 10 minutes or so faster.

Old 08-11-2013, 11:02 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,122,289 times
Quote:
It takes nearly an hour for you because you take the local train. There are express trains. A rush-hour train from Princeton Junction goes straight to Newark before proceeding to NYC. It skips all the small stations.

Old 08-12-2013, 05:29 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,673,021 times
Quote:
I understand. I just think it makes a lot of stops. As I said, it takes nearly an hour from Linden without factoring in train traffic which you hit quite frequently. Sometimes I wish getting into the city was easier considering how close it is, but it being an island hinders travel time. You know what I mean?
I certainly do! Have been commuting to that island for more than thirty years. I hate going into Penn.

Old 08-12-2013, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
It takes nearly an hour for you because you take the local train. There are express trains. A rush-hour train from Princeton Junction goes straight to Newark before proceeding to NYC. It skips all the small stations.
Yup, I live too close for an express but it makes a lot of stops in a short distance. The problems you face when living in a high density state! The city is so close, yet so far, I often feel. Oh well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I certainly do! Have been commuting to that island for more than thirty years. I hate going into Penn.
I live 13 miles from my almost daily destination in Staten Island and it can take me an hour and a half (obviously driving - Goethals). This was even before any road or bridge construction. Crazy.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:54 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,840,807 times
Rahway does have Express trains , that only stop at Newark Penn , Secaucus and New York.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey