Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 01:30 AM

4 posts, read 4,129 times

Advertisements

Could anyone recommend towns with good middle and high schools near Merck/New Jersey. How is the housing cost there? For example, 3/4 bedroom, good location, nice lot.

Questions For Future and Potential Residents

Merck has several locations in NJ--I suppose you are referring to the headquarters in Rahway since you didn't specify.

Housing costs vary widely depending upon what town/city you are looking at. It would be much better if you provided some specifics as to what you are seeking.

Thank you for the reply. yes, its Merck at Rahway. We are seeking a house probably in Westfield. I don't know the area and this town was recommended by Merck's employee. I was hoping to be able to buy something and remodel. But buying or remodeling, the total budget is >1М. Preferably 4 bedroom. Schools are very important. Proximity to Metck is secondary, 30-40 minutes are fine. Park, nature, nice professional neighbors are important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 07:59 AM

45 posts, read 96,740 times
everything too expensive for regular middle class folks

Old 08-19-2013, 11:40 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,400,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I don't know where you're getting this whole 'poor reaction time' thing from, but driving around here you have to be alert and aggressive because of the way people drive (same with in NY). Overall, drivers in NY and NJ go fast (at least 5 above the speed limit even on normal roads), fly through yellows and even reds, have a hard time letting people go or turn, etc. We in this area, both states, are known for this to outsiders. One of my friends from CA is terrified to drive in NY and NJ. Of course there are exceptions, the people you find texting and nearly hit another car for example, but this all happens everywhere. Same with speeding. It's not particular to NJ, or MA, or NY. Everywhere.
you had me til here. you don't "have to be aggressive" anywhere, ever. you have to be alert, and you have to know how to react, but being aggressive is not required. being aggressive is why most problems on NJ roads exist at all.

I was at a light yesterday, making a right on red with my wife and 2 kids in the car, and the guy behind me honking because i wasn't going. i don't know if he could see the traffic coming from the left or not, but if he wants to pull out in front of cars he sees, that's on him. if i was by myself i may have considered hitting the gas a little hard, and i'd make it ok, but there was no reason for me to slam my wife and kids into their seats to save 15 seconds on a right turn. not to mention, I drive a stick, and there's always the slim chance I could stall, so why chance pulling out in front of someone when there is no one behind him?

aggressive driving should be heavily fined in my opinion.

Old 08-19-2013, 11:46 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,400,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Yes, I'm from NYC. NJ traffic in general is slower pace than NYC. You figure NYers can't go fast because of traffic jam but that's not the case. It's always a race from one light to the next. In NJ, most folks are just way too slow and indecisive. A lot NJ folks are left lane hoggers, they do 35mph on a 50mph speed limit and a lot of NJ folks takes over 5 seconds to react to a greenlight.

In NYC, most drivers react to light turning green is under 2 seconds. If you don't go under 2 seconds the honking starts.

Where do you ever hear NJers honk? I see a woman on the phone and not going at the green light for over 10 seconds and nobody is honking her. Maybe a lot of folks here are nice and polite but it's not polite to people who has to go somewhere and being held up by slow people.
how many cyclists and pedestrians are hit every year in NYC? and you really don't see the rear-ending accidents in NYC? I got rear ended on the FDR, when traffic was at a DEAD STOP for a solid 30 seconds. i saw the guy coming up behind me and knew he wasn't stopping in time. nowhere for me to go though.

and you believe that racing from one light to the next is a good thing? what's the hurry to park at another red light?

NYers are just as guilty of the left lane hog. drive on any Interstate in the NYC metro area, and it's there.

NJ always honks the second a light turns green. It's something i've complained about to friends, and almost certainly on here somewhere, numerous times.

you've got big time blinders on if you believe this stuff.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:19 PM

478 posts, read 700,606 times
Pros and cons of New Jersey......I didn't know there were any pros ?

Old 08-20-2013, 04:19 PM

1,947 posts, read 3,322,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Gentleman View Post
Pros and cons of New Jersey......I didn't know there were any pros ?
Jobs, jobs, jobs...in particular decent paying jobs...they are far and few between in FL (high wage professions). Very difficult to find a corporate job in FL. Not many, if any, Fortune 500 companies in FL. In the NY/NJ metro there are many. That's the biggest pro.

Old 08-20-2013, 04:33 PM

What's the advantage of a high paying job when you have to pay the highest taxes of all 50 states ?

Old 08-20-2013, 06:10 PM

1,947 posts, read 3,322,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Gentleman View Post
What's the advantage of a high paying job when you have to pay the highest taxes of all 50 states ?
True Florida has low property taxes and income taxes, but it also has very high homeowners insurance (very high) and also very high HOA fees. And many communities also have CDD fees as well. Once you add up all those costs that FL proponents often leave out of the conversation, the cost-benefit analysis is severly weakend.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:17 PM

Not so.....l live in Florida and currently have two homes. Yes, insurance is "slightly" more because of the hurricane factor, especially along the coast but hardly "severly" and certainly no more than coastal homes in New Jersey but my property taxes are just a fraction of what my NJ taxes were. Once you add in all the additional taxes and fees found in New Jersey there is no comparison .....that's why NJ is nĂºmero uno in taxes of all 50 states. There's even a per person fee to sit on the beach and share company with the sewage, hospital waste and occasional military ordinance that washes up on the beach.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:38 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,684,988 times
I don't know about any of you guys, but I'd pay a king's ransom not to live in a place with such a high crime rate.

//www.city-data.com/crime/crime-Ocala-Florida.html

Sex offender ratio of 157 to 1? Holy God. Camden(!!!) is even lower, 455 to 1. LMAO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey