Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Save with Fios vs Cablevision?
Yes you can save $50 a month by switching 2 14.29%
Yes you can save, but most likely not the trouble 0 0%
No you will wind up paying more with fees 6 42.86%
About the same 4 28.57%
Don't know; don't care 2 14.29%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 05:32 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,909,084 times

Advertisements

I know this has been discussed in the past. Everyone I talk to has a different answer--so obviously you have to negotiate to get a good deal.

I currently have Cablevision Triple Play--phone, Internet and Cable and Pay 158.00 per month roughly.

I have no DVRs, one cable box and no HGTV--and no interested in it as I have an old Panasonic CRT. When I look at HDTVs I am not impressed--everything is washed out, for example black people look white. This is besides the point.

Can I get cable, phone and Internet from Verizon Fios for $100m per month for at least a year. People tell me they have it--but when I call they say it's impossible.

So what's the real deal here?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 06:41 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
I just signed up yesterday. I have Comcast, not Cablevision, and I don't want any premium channels. Comcast is currently $129 a month. The FIOS deal was $89.99 but with taxes/fees the monthly amount will be $105. I'll take the $24/month savings. I don't watch that much TV and it pisses me off that it costs so much. Oh, and they're promising a $300 Visa Card.

Old 08-12-2013, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I just signed up yesterday. I have Comcast, not Cablevision, and I don't want any premium channels. Comcast is currently $129 a month. The FIOS deal was $89.99 but with taxes/fees the monthly amount will be $105. I'll take the $24/month savings. I don't watch that much TV and it pisses me off that it costs so much. Oh, and they're promising a $300 Visa Card.
Thanks I barely watch TV too--it's mostly trash. And I don't have any premium channels either.

Old 08-12-2013, 07:48 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,980,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
Thanks I barely watch TV too--it's mostly trash. And I don't have any premium channels either.
It sounds like you may not even need to get the TV service... is there enough available to you via internet/streaming? Or there have been several threads on here about just connecting TV via antenna which can work for many depending on location.

Old 08-12-2013, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
It sounds like you may not even need to get the TV service... is there enough available to you via internet/streaming? Or there have been several threads on here about just connecting TV via antenna which can work for many depending on location.
That would be too complicated for me--I just need simple things. Thanks for advice.

Last edited by johnfrisco; 08-12-2013 at 08:17 PM..

Old 08-12-2013, 08:36 PM

5,773 posts, read 16,588,795 times
FYI if you don't watch much TV, depending on your location, you can put up a DTV antenna and get maybe 40 to 60 channels of TV the way it's supposed to be. You pay no one.

You could send yourself a bill if you want to.

I know quite a few "traditional" TV watchers that wouldn't think of paying anyone for their TV channels.

A few websites online that will give you an estimate of the channels you can get, but keep in mind many single digital channels are split into 2,3, 4 or more individual program channels. All free over-the-air.

Even with cable or satellite 95% of the stuff we watch is available free and in better definition quality.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:12 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,839,675 times
What the above said....and try a Roku box for streaming. Its really cheap,like $50.
If you have Wifi,it will work,or even a plain Usb.

Fios isn't worth it. What will happen is after a year,your bill will jump to 160.
They all lure you in with good prices but after the year is up,bam.

One word about Fios....it sucks. Its like the channels get stuck.

Old 08-12-2013, 10:14 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,980,712 times
Quote:
That would be too complicated for me--I just need simple things. Thanks for advice.
OK, it's up to you. But you started a thread because the pricing plans and true costs were too complicated for you to understand or believe.... there is no more "simple" solution than an antenna.

Old 08-12-2013, 10:37 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,309,136 times
I switched from Comcast to FiOS almost 3 years ago. My double play (basic cable and internet) was around $125 for a couple of years, then they jacked it up to about $135. I went with FiOS, which offered me $64/mo for TV and internet for one year (after taxes/fees it was in the $80s). I expected the rate to jump up to at least what I was paying Comcast after that year, but it only went up to $105. I think even now it's still under $120. Still ridiculous considering what you get, but still at least $15/month cheaper than cable.

Old 08-13-2013, 06:53 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times
Quote:
I know this has been discussed in the past. Everyone I talk to has a different answer--so obviously you have to negotiate to get a good deal.

I currently have Cablevision Triple Play--phone, Internet and Cable and Pay 158.00 per month roughly.

I have no DVRs, one cable box and no HGTV--and no interested in it as I have an old Panasonic CRT. When I look at HDTVs I am not impressed--everything is washed out, for example black people look white. This is besides the point.

Can I get cable, phone and Internet from Verizon Fios for $100m per month for at least a year. People tell me they have it--but when I call they say it's impossible.

So what's the real deal here?

Thanks!
you can get that sort of pricing through a promotion, but that doesn't include the monthly fee for the box ($5 maybe?) and the taxes. so figure to add about $10-$15 to the price, i think.

I'd argue it's not worth switching since you do not have HDTV unless you get a better price. The internet is nicer, but i don't know that i would switch for just that reason. Normally, I would highly recommend FiOS above all else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: