Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 03:20 AM

2 posts, read 5,872 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

Hoping to get a little advice from some residents of Margate or Brigantine New Jersey. Bit of background first! We are an Irish family with 3 kids, we are hoping to start a new life in either one of the above named areas within the next 12/24 months. My husband lived in New Jersey for 6 years in the 90's and loved the lifestyle, I've never been but plan to next summer. So im a bit hesitant but excited too! My first concern is schools in the area are there some that are better than others? In Dublin where we live at the moment you get into a school by your address, i.e. it goes by catchment area, is this how it works there?
Also right now we could afford about $500,000 for a house (that will hopefully appreciate ovr nxt year!), so be interested to know what best streets are for around this price.
Sorry know I'm going on a bit but really need all facts, my husband would love to pack up tomorrow but I'm a little more cautious!
Anyway thirdly what are recreational facilities like in these areas?
I will have BA in psychology next year and have experience working with people who have physical disabilities, would hope to work with kids in future, is there much work in this field and what are the conditions and pay like?
Be great to hear from anyone who could fill me in on any of the above, thanks a million. Gina
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2007, 04:34 AM

17,004 posts, read 12,589,940 times
>Also right now we could afford about $500,000 for a house (that will hopefully appreciate ovr nxt year!), <

Good luck on that. NJ is not declining as fast as fast as say, Florida but values are overall eroding.

Cant help you much on the two cities as Im in Northern NJ. A quick search of a real estate site shows you can get a decent home for 500K... No view of the water of course.

Old 11-14-2007, 01:23 PM

2 posts, read 5,872 times
Default Thanks!

Thanks for takin the time to reply to thread Ottobeale, have been looking at some real estate websites and the prices are quite good in comparison to Dublin, you get a lot more house for a lot less money. Also car prices in US really good, Ireland is a total rip off for everything right now. Really hope I can settle into new life in New Jersey, from what I've looked at so far and what my husband tells me I think we can have a much better standard of living. Hope its not just nostalgia with him though!!

Old 12-20-2007, 08:05 PM

1 posts, read 2,861 times
Red face Living in Brigantine, NJ

Hi!

I live in Brigantine, NJ and I am also a realtor here. It is a good time to be a buyer here in the States. The housing market has dropped and you could find an absolutely great home for $500K. Your money would go a little further in Brigantine than in Margate - you would get more house or square footage for the money in most cases. The school systems in either town are great!

My husband and I were in Dublin last year and could not believe the cost of houses over there!

Moderator cut: no advertising

Merry Christmas!

Maria.

Last edited by tahiti; 12-20-2007 at 08:28 PM.. Reason: no advertising

Old 12-21-2007, 07:23 AM

1,153 posts, read 3,602,642 times
Default Reolcating To Jersey

We live in Waretown about 40 mins north of Brigantine......We're looking to relocate to another state to follow family that we miss so much. We have a colonial home with an in-law apt. The advantage of the in-law situation is that my dad has lived with us and has helped out immensly with our family of 3 children. It has been a great experience for our kids and a great experience for us with my dad. He's going to relocate with us. Anyways the Town we live in is a nice quiet town around areas that are quite built up. The nice thing about where we live is that we feel far away from everything but we are really close to everything. Anyways the home is @ 3400 sq ft. The house itself has 4-5 bedrooms, a walk up attic with extra storage, 3 full tiled baths, gas fireplace, central air, a 20x40 i/g pool, an in the ground cement hot tub, a 100 x 250 private fenced in lot (great neighbors around us), living room, dining room, eat in kitchen. The apt has it's own eat in kitchen, living room, it's own full bath and bedroom. We're asking 412k and the taxes are @ 5400.oo per year. I have pics if you are interested. Good luck

Old 12-21-2007, 08:06 AM

1,000 posts, read 3,602,561 times
That's pretty funny.. I had 3 great aunts (grandmother's sisters) that moved from Ireland to Margate back in the day.

Old 12-21-2007, 08:24 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,940,360 times
Do you already have your green cards? Because without them, it's going to be MUCH harder to do anything like purchase real estate, get a job, etc. Not to mention that it would also be illegal to work here without it.

Old 12-21-2007, 01:37 PM

469 posts, read 1,640,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishgina View Post
Hi there,

Hoping to get a little advice from some residents of Margate or Brigantine New Jersey. Bit of background first! We are an Irish family with 3 kids, we are hoping to start a new life in either one of the above named areas within the next 12/24 months. My husband lived in New Jersey for 6 years in the 90's and loved the lifestyle, I've never been but plan to next summer. So im a bit hesitant but excited too! My first concern is schools in the area are there some that are better than others? In Dublin where we live at the moment you get into a school by your address, i.e. it goes by catchment area, is this how it works there?
Also right now we could afford about $500,000 for a house (that will hopefully appreciate ovr nxt year!), so be interested to know what best streets are for around this price.
Sorry know I'm going on a bit but really need all facts, my husband would love to pack up tomorrow but I'm a little more cautious!
Anyway thirdly what are recreational facilities like in these areas?
I will have BA in psychology next year and have experience working with people who have physical disabilities, would hope to work with kids in future, is there much work in this field and what are the conditions and pay like?
Be great to hear from anyone who could fill me in on any of the above, thanks a million. Gina
Your better off relocating to new york city.

Old 12-21-2007, 01:39 PM

22,165 posts, read 19,217,049 times
how about if we just trade and I get to go live in ireland....sigh....

Old 12-21-2007, 02:58 PM

5,073 posts, read 4,736,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondD View Post
how about if we just trade and I get to go live in ireland....sigh....
I second that!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey